PDA

View Full Version : The Cure for Buyers Remorse

Bawanna
06-14-2011, 02:30 PM
So I'm wandering the aisles of the local gunshow this last sunday as usual with much less capital than I require to buy even the lowliest of firearms. Still fun to look, but you feel kind of bad not buying.

So I find myself at a knife table with a nice fellow behind it who I have bought from in the past and I'm enamored with a Rat 3 by the Ontario knife company. A few of the SERT (politically correct title for SWAT guys here) carry them on their entry outfits.

So I buy this thing and haul it home. I immediately start getting thoughts of what does a derelict in a wheelchair need with a knife like this. It's way cool, it's high quality but it's gonna end up in a drawer.

So I'm thinking we got a couple officers, young with young families and the related cost for same. I'll just donate it to one of them.

Well low and behold an email comes out from one of the young officers I mention who just had a baby girl about a month ago. He talks about the significance of tomorrow and the next day as he saw major battle in Iraq and had several very good friends die on this day in 2005 as I recall. One a fellow medic on his 7th tour who was a Marine Force REcon prior to becoming a medic. Quite a story of the firefight that he was in and the effort made to take out the people responsible for the deaths of his friends. A solemn story for sure and brings a whole new meaning to the term "Been there, done that". This guy has seen the elephant more than once.

Sooooo, no more buyers remorse. I packaged the knife back up (following Jeeps lead here as I recall) and will give it to this officer as a early Fathers Day gift from his 1 month old daughter.

I no longer have any buyers remorse, and care not that I dropped 100 bucks. Dont seem to be important to me anymore.

I guess I was just so proud to do this and even know this guy that I felt like I had to share my little story with the masses.

Our administration isn't doing anything to show appreciation to our troops, we have to take care of that at our level. I hope to do it some more, it feels good.

SkeletonSlinky
06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Very cool Bawanna...you're right we need to be sure to thank our warriors in tangible / thoughtful ways. Sure is a better place to put it than that drawer! Thanks for sharing your story.

TheTman
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
That's very cool indeed Bawanna!

Dietrich
06-14-2011, 04:30 PM
A very thoughtful thing to do.Way to go!!

crazymailman
06-14-2011, 04:34 PM
This would be a much better world if more of us were as thoughtful. Thanks for sharing.

mightymouse
06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Nicely done!

jocko
06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
ur oik GREAT ONE, now I know why they call u that...

BuckeyeBlast
06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I know that exact feeling. Good for you man. It'll make both his and your day.

OldLincoln
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
You continue to amaze me, Bawanna and you make me proud to be your friend.

mr surveyor
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
The Lord works in mysterious ways..... that's one of them.

wyntrout
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:Bravo Bawanna... you're a BIG MAN :third: and that's real good feeling you're getting for a good deed there. I suspect a hanky occasion coming up there.

I'm proud to call you a friend, too.

Wynn:)

Willieboy
06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
You're the man Bawanna. He'll always remember that knife and where it came from.

jimbar
06-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Pretty classy, for a guy from Monroe, (sorry, couldn't help it).

Job well done, sir!

MikeyKahr
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
All the previous posts have said what I wanted to say, Bawanna, so I'll just say thank you for your act of kindness and for giving to one who gave so much. May the blessing be returned back to you one day.

MrToad
06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Good on you, Bawanna.