PDA

View Full Version : Target, H/B 10/22 sight options

CJB
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM
After a few decades, I'm finally getting around to building my own heavy barrel 10/22. Someplace, there's a thread on some clearance barrels offered by Clark, and some stocks they offer too.

In a past life... I built up some heavy 10/22's for customers, and I've gotten ok results with my own bedding methods - which include bedding the barrel to the action (yes, it comes out again if need be).

Maybe a bit of "cart before the horse" I got a regular ol' sporter type stock, with longer pull, slightly longer fore-end and laminated wood. More a "traditional" stock than target. That pretty much suits me as far as looks go.

My real uncertainty are the sights. Back in the day, the late 80's and early 90's when I started doing heavy barrel 10/22's (and was laughed at for trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse, btw), the only real good option was a scope. Customers like adjustable parallax scopes, so they could shoot at short ranges and not have eye centering problems.

Times have changed a bunch. Now we got red dot sights (which were just starting to come out back then), and those open dot sights, and good old iron sights are making a come back.

Maybe I'm wimping out too much here, but I sort of have nixed scopes for the time being, and am leaning toward totally opposite schools of sighting.

The Aimpoint Comp M4 (latest greatest) is one choice. I like red dot sights, like the lack of parallax they offer, so you can shoot inside at short range and not have to worry about eye position. I like it all except... you have a 2moa dot and I'm not sure if I'd like that.

The other option, is a set of Centra target sights with an Anschutz globe up front. They make a .920 band to hold sight bases, even an adjustable one, and they have competition grade rail mount rears, that I can add a nice adjustable iris to.

Price difference is not a whole lot. The Aimpoint will be about $750. The iron sights, $350 for the rear, plus an iris at about $90, plus $125 for the front, and $140 for the band mount, just over $700.

Ya never know until its done, but in the past, I was getting about a half inch from the bedded heavy barrel 10/22's at 50 yards, so the great iron sights would compliment what the rest of the hardware is capable of.

Anybody got thoughts on all this?