PDA

View Full Version : MK9 wood grips yes or no

wayneo1
06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I am thinking about getting the wood grips for my MK9. Was wondering if anyone that has them could chime in as to weather they fit well, and are they worth it. I was looking to increase the thickness of the grip a little in hopes of a little more sure grip on the gun, at least the feeling of a surer grip.

CPO15
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Love mine. Really dress-up the gun. Had to do a little fitting with a wood chisel on an interior panel (1/16th inch?). Be sure to check the Kahr website for the grips as there is a particular serial number range which the grips will not fit (and do not throw away the screws which ship with the grips).

taxifolia
06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I am thinking about getting the wood grips for my MK9. Was wondering if anyone that has them could chime in as to weather they fit well, and are they worth it. I was looking to increase the thickness of the grip a little in hopes of a little more sure grip on the gun, at least the feeling of a surer grip.

From KAHR - the older GA series MK has some extra material on the frame where the top grip screw goes in that does not allow the wood grips to fit. There is not much, just causes a small gap in the grips. The inside part of the grip can be modified with a Dremel.

hollander
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Had them on my MK9 and then sold it - stupid me! Got them for the MK40 and had to do a little work with the Dremel but no problem. I had the checkered grips on the MK9 and they were a little bothersome when the gun was carried against the skin. I have the smooth on the MK 40 and I think I like them better. They do dress up the gun.

Bawanna
06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Had them on my MK9 and then sold it - stupid me! Got them for the MK40 and had to do a little work with the Dremel but no problem. I had the checkered grips on the MK9 and they were a little bothersome when the gun was carried against the skin. I have the smooth on the MK 40 and I think I like them better. They do dress up the gun.

If you ever have checkered grips that irritate or feel too agressive in your hand or on your skin just take a piece of medium sandpaper like 280 or so on a block and just knock off the points a little bit. You'll still get a good grip surface but not have the bite. Usually the checkered area is not finished so you can put a little linseed oil or tung oil or whatever you got on it when your done, brush the heck out of it with a toothbrush, preferably someone elses toothbrush to get the oil in good without plugging up the grooves.
Easy fix.

recoilguy
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Wood grips are so nice on any gun that accepts them. On the MK9 they look great!!!!!!!!!!!

RCG

Barth
06-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Pictures on the net of MK40s with wood grips looked great
So I ordered the checkered ones. They require some fitting.
So I ordered the smooth and they required fitting too.
It looks like both grips will add thickness to the overall grip.
Which sounds good for feel. But I think the stock grips
are flatter and better for concealment.
So I’m sticking with the factory grips.

Footnote -
I’ve got Eagle Secret Service grips for two smith revolvers
and they fit perfect?!? Both my sigs have Hogue rubber finger grove
combat grips. But no such think for a Kahr (it seems).

Bawanna
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Pictures on the net of MK40s with wood grips looked great
So I ordered the checkered ones. They require some fitting.
So I ordered the smooth and they required fitting too.
It looks like both grips will add thickness to the overall grip.
Which sounds good for feel. But I think the stock grips
are flatter and better for concealment.
So I’m sticking with the factory grips.

Footnote -
I’ve got Eagle Secret Service grips for two smith revolvers
and they fit perfect?!? Both my sigs have Hogue rubber finger grove
combat grips. But no such think for a Kahr (it seems).

Hogue makes the factory grips that come on Kahrs, no finger grooves that I've ever heard of.
I'm not sure why they leave the wood grips as thick as they are. The screws are deeply recessed and they can easily be slimmed down to match the factory rubber (good) or factory hard plastic (not so good) grips. I've matched that factory thickness on several. I thought at first the narrower grip in wood would be uncomfortable on the hand more so than factory but it didn't make any difference even on my K40.
The factory smooth grips could easily be thinned and refinished. Probably nearly a 1/4" per side which would slim the grip down alot overall.

Barth
06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Hogue makes the factory grips that come on Kahrs, no finger grooves that I've ever heard of.
I'm not sure why they leave the wood grips as thick as they are. The screws are deeply recessed and they can easily be slimmed down to match the factory rubber (good) or factory hard plastic (not so good) grips. I've matched that factory thickness on several. I thought at first the narrower grip in wood would be uncomfortable on the hand more so than factory but it didn't make any difference even on my K40.
The factory smooth grips could easily be thinned and refinished. Probably nearly a 1/4" per side which would slim the grip down alot overall.

Thanks for the tip.
I'll consider it after my S&W 342 comes out of the shop.
(Getting a SS trigger, action job with over travel adjustment,
XS Big Dot front sight and Black Onyx Secret Service grips - Woo Hoo!)

photoshooter
06-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I might as well add my thousand words.
No fitting required, just popped them right on there.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/091203_mk9_052.jpg

Barth
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
I might as well add my thousand words.
No fitting required, just popped them right on there.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/Sigs%20etc/091203_mk9_052.jpg

Totally not fair - LOL!
I tried twice with no joy..... (New MK40 Elite)

dzldust
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Gotta get a set soon for my "GAXxx" MK 9

Cookster
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I'll have to share my story about the wood grips on my MK9. They are exactly the same as the one's on photoshooter's heater.

Long story short. . .

Put them on. They fit great and feel good for shooting. Carry IWB, but wood is in direct contact with my skin (summer carry).

After about two weeks or so of carrying I notice a rash, and damn if its not in the same shape and size of the grip of my MK9. Stop carrying it, but the rash soon quadruples in size (maybe larger), despite putting some OTC anti-itch stuff on it like calamine lotion and other products.

Go to doctor. Can't recall it exactly, but his diagnosis is something like contact dermatosis and writes a script for me for a topical lotion. Most of the rash clears up within 2-3 weeks, but it took much longer for it to disappear completely.

I still have the grips because I put them back on in the winter when I am wearing a t-shirt tucked in and then a heavier shirt over that.

I'd say my skin is more or less normal, but the checkering on the grip was agressive enough to penetrate / abrade my skin, and then the stain / paint / laquer / whatever they use to treat the wood was then introduced to my body, thus creating the rash in that area.

Rob

Bawanna
06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
I suspect more than just the abrasion you are sensitive to the toxic stuff in the wood.
When I'm in Coco Bolo alot my hands blister, my shirt collar even turns reddish. Some woods are even worse to breath or get into your bloodstream. Putting more oil or a poly type finish might help some. I resort to rubber gloves sometimes but I hate em.

Barth
06-17-2011, 01:23 AM
I'll have to share my story about the wood grips on my MK9. They are exactly the same as the one's on photoshooter's heater.

Long story short. . .

Put them on. They fit great and feel good for shooting. Carry IWB, but wood is in direct contact with my skin (summer carry).

After about two weeks or so of carrying I notice a rash, and damn if its not in the same shape and size of the grip of my MK9. Stop carrying it, but the rash soon quadruples in size (maybe larger), despite putting some OTC anti-itch stuff on it like calamine lotion and other products.

Go to doctor. Can't recall it exactly, but his diagnosis is something like contact dermatosis and writes a script for me for a topical lotion. Most of the rash clears up within 2-3 weeks, but it took much longer for it to disappear completely.

I still have the grips because I put them back on in the winter when I am wearing a t-shirt tucked in and then a heavier shirt over that.

I'd say my skin is more or less normal, but the checkering on the grip was agressive enough to penetrate / abrade my skin, and then the stain / paint / laquer / whatever they use to treat the wood was then introduced to my body, thus creating the rash in that area.

Rob

I live in Tampa Florida, perpetual summer, and carry daily.
Wore the rubber smooth on my Uncle Mikes boot grips on my J-frame!
My skin is semi-sensitive anyway. Have to ware gloves at the gym.
I'm totally sticking with the hard, flat, plastic Hogues that came with the gun. They conceal fantastic and are growing on me - LOL.

Thanks for the info...

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Well that cinches it, I am going to have to pass. This year has been bad luck for me and medical stuff so if there is a way to get something from wood I will. Thanks to everyone for input especially cookster and bawanna. Who knew something as simple as wood would have any noxious effect on someone.

photoshooter
06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I suspect more than just the abrasion you are sensitive to the toxic stuff in the wood.

Yup, that's the answer.
I am an amateur woodworker as well and certain exotic woods give me a rash or make my nose run like I have the flu. I think the Kahr grips are pau ferro which certainly qualifies as an exotic wood.

One way around that is to get a set of grips made in walnut or maple.

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately thats a problem with the Kahr. Other wood or grips not available as far as I can tell.

Bawanna
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
If I'm ever able to get a newer MK and K frame it won't be a problem for long. You can also just keep the grip oiled or put a finish on it that seals it up good. You shouldn't have any problem with it then. If in doubt go with the smooth.
A shirt between or a holster with a sweat guard solved the issue too.
I think Pau Faro is one of the lesser toxic woods. The ones with red in them are the ones that will get just about every one. Bloodwood, most of the rose woods, Coco Bolo.
As photoshooter said, Walnut or maple, myrtlewood, several others usually don't bother anyone.
Cedar is even toxic and bothers the heck out of lots of folks. I've chopped enough kindling wood, it don't bother me.
I gotta find some frames so I can fix you guys up.

hollander
06-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I am so happy I read these posts this evening. I received my new Ryan Grizzle holster this week. Put it on with the MK 40 and wood grips on. Everything fits nicely and I wear the holster and gun for about 6 hours. Take it off and there is a red spot where the same thing happened last summer with my former MK9 with wood grips. Terrible rash, itch, and blister. Took weeks for it to disappear. Now it is here again. I thought it was a reaction to the tanning products in the holster. Now I know what the true reason is before I had the holster sweat guard cut off. Thanks to all of you guys.

wayneo1
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I am thinking you guys should think about wearing a t shirt might save some doctor bills.

photoshooter
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately thats a problem with the Kahr. Other wood or grips not available as far as I can tell.

grips4u (http://www.grips4u.net/product_info.php?products_id=255) english walnut grips

I don't own their Kahr grips but I do have a set on one of my Sigs and the quality is very good.

http://www.grips4u.net/images/Kahr%20medium.jpg

SuperGlide
06-18-2011, 03:50 PM
PhotoShooter, those grips look awesome. Where did you get them?

wayneo1
06-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks photoshooter I sent them a email to see when they would be in stock.

photoshooter
06-19-2011, 04:49 AM
PhotoShooter, those grips look awesome. Where did you get them?

The grips on my gun are from Kahr.

Bawanna
06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I have no solid evidence but I believe Hogue makes the grips for Kahr, both the hard rubber and the older (nicer) soft rubber, as well as the wood.
I've not visited Hogues site to see if they sell Kahr grips in wood. I know they don't in the usual soft hogue rubber.

GOOFA
06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Hogue does indeed make those grips for Kahr.

dzldust
06-19-2011, 06:27 PM
what exactly has to be done to the Kahr wood grips to make them fit an older
"GAxxx" model MK9?

Bawanna
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
what exactly has to be done to the Kahr wood grips to make them fit an older
"GAxxx" model MK9?

I'm guessing here since I have an old and have not held a new but I'm told that theres more of a recess I think on the top of the frame where the top screw is. Usually they have to use two different screw lengths.

They seem to fit but the screws don't reach either top or bottom, I can't remember which.

I know the old style grips I've sent out that ended up going on a newer style, they said wood had to be removed from the inside so at the moment I'm hopelessly confused.

hollander
06-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I am going to put my MK9/MK40 smooth grips up for sale on ebay unless someone here is interested. I cannot get them close to my skin and I do not wear an undershirt here in hot Georgia. They were on the gun for three days. I also have the grip screws to fit them. They were $48.00 from Kahr plus shipping. I will sell them for $30.00 plus $6.00 for shipping. PM me if your are interested.

CertifiedGunNut
06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
wood all the way

wayneo1
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Bawanna check the grip4u link they ask what type of grips you need for your mk9 and they show what they mean with photos. Might make sense to you it doesnt to me. www.grips4u.net (http://www.grips4u.net)

Bawanna
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Wish they had a picture like that with the cut out. Anybody got time to take a picture of the inside of a GC serial grip. I think TD2k sent me some once upon a time, I'll go see if I still have those. Not thinking so. I think the early is cut out and the later is like that in the picture but I might have that backwards.

I still wouldn't be able to fit a new grip with an old gun. Darn I'd like to get my hands on a new MK and K frame. Sure solve alot of mysteries.

That is a nice touch with the alignment pins in the back of the grip. Not easy to do. Make for some additional strength.

RonW
06-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Boy is this a old thread but I'd give it a shot.... I have a pair of new checkered grips from kahr for my K9 however one side fits nice & flush whereas the other has a slight wobble to it and with the screws tightened down there is a noticable gap (1/16") . I have no idea of where on the inside of the grip to start sanding... I took pics but have no idea where they are on my PC... But the gap is on the bottom rear of the grip near the magazine well . I can post a pic as soon as I get the chance..

CPTKILLER
06-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Really it is up to you.

Bawanna
06-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Boy is this a old thread but I'd give it a shot.... I have a pair of new checkered grips from kahr for my K9 however one side fits nice & flush whereas the other has a slight wobble to it and with the screws tightened down there is a noticable gap (1/16") . I have no idea of where on the inside of the grip to start sanding... I took pics but have no idea where they are on my PC... But the gap is on the bottom rear of the grip near the magazine well . I can post a pic as soon as I get the chance..

RonW- send me a PM, maybe we can figure something out. Or activate your PM's in settings.

SgtSupz
07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
I have a very old MK9 with serial number GA 18xx. I've been wanting the wood grips forever but never pulled the trigger because I was told by Kahr the grips wouldn't fit my pistol. I decided to order them anyway and they arrived today. The screw holes lined up perfectly. The top screws went in no problem. The bottom screws wouldn't quite reach the frame. I took a couple thousands off the inside of the grips where the bottom screw holes are and the grips fit perfect.

Tpsfoto
08-07-2016, 12:01 AM
I love the look of the wood....but on mine I have the Crimson Trace laser grips......very accurate.