PDA

View Full Version : P40 experience Part 1

knkali
06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
I am new to Kahr and documenting my experience with the gun from start to first firing at the range.

Originally when I went to the shop to look at the P40, I was dissapointed with the gun. I thought it looked cheap. This view was born by trying many of the guns they had at the shop and most of them had mags that stuck when the mag release button was pushed, the rear sight mark on the gun I selected has the hash mark on the rear sight a scootch off to the left from center, and I am not used to holding plastic( there I said it). I liked the size/weight of the gun so much, I found one that did not have a sticky mag release and purchased it.

I picked it up yesterday and at home, I went through the sticky on preparing the gun before taking it to the range.

Since the gun was so oily, I skipped taking it apart. Instead, I started racking the slide. After about 20 or 30 rackings, I noticed more oil leaking out of the gun. I wiped it up and I started to cycle ammo through the gun without firing. Since this action can be dangerous, I made sure I was doing this slowly and without distractions ( empty house) and always pointing the gun in the corner of the house I was willing to repair if needed.

I have to admit that after approx 300 cycles of loading a round, ejecting and dry firing after the sixth, the gun feels much different--better. The slide is much smoother, the trigger pull is smoother too. The magazine needed to be broken in too. At first, the six round mag was very hard to load. Now it is much easier.

I have much more appreciation for this gun. It is much smoother but still very tight. This tightness it has now feels more like quality. In fact, after 500 rnds at the range it will probably feel even better.

I will try it at the range either tonight or tomorrow and give my report as part 2.

Thanks for reading

P.S One thing that is a little different for me. If I slap a loaded mag into the gun with the slide locked back, it will automatically chamber a rnd without me racking it. If I put the mag in without the slap, it wont do it. If I put it in without a slap then eject the mag(slide still locked back) and then slap it in, it wont automatically chamber a round. Thoughts?

Mr. Zero
06-16-2011, 02:27 PM
In your owners manuel it tells you to always load a cartridge by inserting a loaded magazine and releasing the slide by using the slide stop lever. After break in, all of my Kahrs will load via the sling-shot method.

don't worry, its fine - just go shoot it.

knkali
06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
roger that

jocko
06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I would clean thaty striker channle if u\ have that much oil dripping fro thegun. If itis in the channel, it can and it willgum up on u, whychance it, if u readthe sticky of propper prepping of ur new kahr it is a breeze to clean that channel with no dissasembly.

Don't slam magazines and the slide wil lstay open. as far as inserting a loaded mag and it not doing it and then slamming in the magazine again and it not doing it, I cannot give u a reason why. Uswe the slide lock lever top load that first round until you get good at hand racking the gun, Kahrs are tight and they reamin tight to but as u have already noticve it is smoothing out and after shooting a couple hundred rounds it will smooth out even more. a 40 cal is a handful, so get a proper grip on the gun or u will find ur self limpwristing the gunb..

knkali
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
thanks Jocko. Will do. It was very wet from the factory.