PDA

View Full Version : guide rod recoil sprng PIB to reinstall

knkali
06-17-2011, 06:56 PM
took few hours to reinstall after cleaning the first 300 rnds out of the P40. Fingers are sore. took it to the shop to see what I was missing. He had nothing but trouble too. Finally one guy found the combo that worked. Nothing like the vid by Kahr BTW. Eveything about this gun is tight. Finally got it back together. Will put another 100+ rnds through it for my final assesment.

TucsonMTB
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Not sure if your difficulty was getting the rod into the hole in the front of the slide, but some people who have experienced that issue beveled the end of the rod. You can do that with sandpaper and then polish the entire end for a nice custom look.

It made life easier for me and I think it looks nice. YMMV

Best of luck. :)

knkali
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure if your difficulty was getting the rod into the hole in the front of the slide, but some people who have experienced that issue beveled the end of the rod. You can do that with sandpaper and then polish the entire end for a nice custom look.

It made life easier for me and I think it looks nice. YMMV

Best of luck. :)

getting the end of the rod through the slide was the problem. I thought I saw a post that Kahr is now beveling the ends of the guide rods. How did you do it with just sanpaper? And get the beveling even all around. Love to see a pic.

But yes that would solve the problem . Just didnt have big enough eggs to do it to my brand new Kahr. Also since the gun is so tightly made I was thinking that any devaition from spec would throw the gun into all kinds of user problems.

TucsonMTB
06-17-2011, 10:23 PM
At $3.30, new recoil spring guide rods for the P40 (http://www.kahr.com/Pistol-Parts/Kahr-006P4-Recoil-Spring-Guide.asp) that you have and the CW40 that I have are pretty cheap from Kahr, so there's not much risk.

With the rod in hand (no spring, of course) and a piece or sandpaper on a flat surface (320 grit worked for me) I just held the rod at about a 45 degree angle to the sand paper and sanded away, all the while turning the rod to get an even bevel all around. It's harder to explain than to do.

It does not take much of a bevel to help. You probably won't even notice it once the pistol is assembled.

Once you have a nice bevel all around you can polish the end with 600 or finer paper and have an appearance to be proud of. :D

jocko
06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
if one could chuck that rod up in a drill one would get alot more evenly beveling, I would think.

jocko
06-18-2011, 06:06 AM
getting the end of the rod through the slide was the problem. I thought I saw a post that Kahr is now beveling the ends of the guide rods. How did you do it with just sanpaper? And get the beveling even all around. Love to see a pic.

But yes that would solve the problem . Just didnt have big enough eggs to do it to my brand new Kahr. Also since the gun is so tightly made I was thinking that any devaition from spec would throw the gun into all kinds of user problems.

hurt anything fokking with that guide rod, so sand/file away..:israel:

crazymailman
06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking that my first P9 had a beveled edge on the guide rod. I know that it was hollow. Why did they change?