PDA

View Full Version : CM9 mag splitting?

FSuperDuty
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,
Finally got me a CM9 this past friday and went to the range this afternoon. I'll post more details at another point, but suffice to say I really like shooting this little guy, it's turning out to be exactly the carry gun I've been looking for. 250 rounds FMJ, one FTF around 80 rounds, otherwise great; then 8 SD hollow points (Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite or something like that).
However I noticed that the mag was tight from the get go. Would not drop sometimes. I ignored it, figured something would need to break-in. Then I noticed after I got home that the mag appears to be coming apart. See attached pic the sides of the mag are separating from the back, near the top. Don't think this is normal? I'll be calling Kahr in the morning. :israel:

Otherwise did I mention I really like this little guy? Not the handful I was expecting, especially with the Hogue Handall Jr on it. :D

MikeyKahr
06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Congrats on the CM9, FSuperDuty. Glad to hear you're a happy camper and that the CM9 ran so well for you. As for the mag, definitely not normal - a call to Kahr is in order. The pic would be good to get to them too, I've had really quick turnaround time with Kahr CS through the e-mail. Hope they make it right - my guess is a new magazine will be on it's way to you Tuesday at the latest.

Longitude Zero
06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Get it replaced. Kahr mags are some of the highest quality I have ever seen. Occasionally a klanger slips thru. Kahr will make it good.

yqtszhj
06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Something is wrong with the steel on that one. Almost like the specs were off on the stainless and the steel was too brittle. I don't know if they heat this or not.

Maybe someone dunked that one in some water after the weld was done on the back of the mag.

FSuperDuty
06-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Well.. I called Customer Service. Not what I was expecting, but I think things will still work out fine. They told me to mail it in and they'd send me a new one. Not wanting to be without the use of the CM9, I ordered a spare mag online (BudsGunShop.com) and now that it's here I'm sending my defective mag to Kahr tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes but they indicated they would replace it. I was hoping they they'd just send me one, but oh well.

Anyhoo I'd post a range report but it would be yet another boring one. I followed the break-in procedures in the FAQ and had not one problem with the CM. Very happy with it!

jocko
06-26-2011, 05:35 PM
bad material. I have seen a few in the past. I had a P380 mag that did that, same place. They replaced it and I have never had it occur again.They had a rash of those mag busting on the P380 in the beginning and then it just went away, so it leads me to believe bad stainless material.

kahr doesn't make their mags, they are american made but I am sure that kahr would not know there is a problem with the mags until it actually occurs and I am very sure they will stand 100% behind them to.:cheer2:

u did the right thing in ordering a spare mag anyhow, every semi should have two magazines..

les strat
06-29-2011, 08:17 AM
They should mail you one out no questions asked. You could mail them a photo of the mag by your CM9 with the serial number showing.

knkali
06-29-2011, 09:25 AM
I am going through this as we speak with my P40 mag. Same reply...send it in and we will replace it. Sending it today. I bet the subcontractor eats these not Kahr and that is why they want them back.

jocko
06-29-2011, 10:28 AM
ur right, not kahrs total loss, and the origibnal makerr should eat um, IMO

FSuperDuty
07-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, just to follow up, received a new mag in the mail. Thanks Kahr! :biggrin1:

bonjorno2
07-17-2011, 07:49 PM
good to hear

JimC
07-19-2011, 03:41 AM
I shot my PM9 yesterday for the first time.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7755

Long story short, I had two Kahr mags split in the same manner that yours did. I contacted Kahr CS when I got home but the CS guy would not just replace my mags, I have to send them the pistol and the two bad mags in to them for evaluation. :mad:
They e-mailed me a FedEx call tag yesterday. I will drop the pistol off at FedEx this AM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/KobraCarry/Miscellaneous/IMG_2447_680x510.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/KobraCarry/Miscellaneous/IMG_2446_680x510.jpg

jocko
07-19-2011, 05:01 AM
I am going through this as we speak with my P40 mag. Same reply...send it in and we will replace it. Sending it today. I bet the subcontractor eats these not Kahr and that is why they want them back.

doubt thatis true.I just kinda wish they would let a new owner know whether it is indeed a badbatchof metal or if something in some guns is causing this to happen.. Something to me has to be serious wrong with the metal to see such NEW magazines go to hell like that.
These are stainless magazine, certainly not thin as paper when u look at them or try to squeeze them. They are strong and to split like that.

JimC
07-19-2011, 06:12 AM
I've been around this shootin' game a long time involving many different brands of guns and mags, both in civilian life and LE life.

This Kahr problem isn't anything new to semi-auto firearms and the mags that they use and I don't think any of this comes as a surprise to Kahr.

The problem that I have is with the MSRP of most of their firearms being what they are, they should be trouble free right out of the box.

Now I know most of you don't want to hear this but...I've NEVER had a 40% failure (2 out of 5) as I did with my Kahr mags when using Glock mags and they cost a lot less than Kahr mags.

I've seen 25-30 brand new Glock pistols right out of the boxes on an LE recruit line go trouble free thru 900+ rds. each over the course or 4.5 days. The only possible problem(s) were the shooters themselves, not the guns or the mags.

wyntrout
07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
This kind of thing is rare, but it does happen. My PM45 did that one day, destroying 4 out of 6 mags... 4 different kinds, bought at different times, so not one bad batch. I figured the other two were overstressed and going to fail, too, in fact one had already started when I looked closely.

I sent the gun and all 6 mags in. They duplicated the failures and could only stop it with a new frame. So maybe your is the same way and you'll get a new frame if that's what it takes. You'll at least get your magazines replaced and Kahr will get to see what the heck's happening.

It sucks, but they'll make it right.

Wynn:)

rkammer
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I realize this post is a few months old but, my brand new CW45 magazine split today while at the range. It was bought new last month and today was the final 50 rounds of the 200 round break-in.

I'm sure Kahr will give me a new mag but, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem recently? I would think that Kahr would have it fixed by now and there would be an explanation for the recurring problem. :mad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Raykamm/Guns/KahrMagSplit.jpg

jocko
12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
sad, very sad.

rogerthedodger
12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm gonna go out and check all of mine right now.U guys R making me nervous.:2eek:

TriggerMan
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
bad material. I have seen a few in the past. I had a P380 mag that did that, same place. They replaced it and I have never had it occur again.They had a rash of those mag busting on the P380 in the beginning and then it just went away, so it leads me to believe bad stainless material.

kahr doesn't make their mags, they are american made but I am sure that kahr would not know there is a problem with the mags until it actually occurs and I am very sure they will stand 100% behind them to.:cheer2:

u did the right thing in ordering a spare mag anyhow, every semi should have two magazines..You are so right about every semi needing at least two mags/ If you (in general) ever enroll in a training class, they want you to bring a minimum of three.

I had to get a refund from Chip McCormick on a brand new 45 mag which had all four spot welds break during shooting. It really gives you a WTF reaction when bullets spill out the base of your grip as bullets fly out the muzzle.

jocko
12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
in the photo it is a cw45 which seems where most of the issues are coming from. very strange.

Ikeo74
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Just looking at the area where the mags split, it looks like the fix would be simple, leave the half moon cutout from the mag and make it flat across the top. That would make it stronger with no bad effects on the mag. Eliminating the cut out would add strength.:7:

jocko
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
my guess is that half moon cut out is necessary for the slide interface bar to pick up the next round when cycling. Personally I don't forsee that fixing anything. Something else is very wrong here. IMO it just not seem to be poor magazine material either. stainless magazine are not cheap to make and certainly shold be very durable. My two cent opinion here is realy not worth a nickle here either...I still think it is something within the gun itself. Magazines are made tohold ammo and otbe under a pounding stress..

dimden
12-03-2011, 07:54 PM
The original mag on my CM9 split just like that (1 month old). I called Kahr and they said the same thing sent it in and we'll replace it. I shouldn't have to eat the shipping for returning a defective part on a brand new gun!

TriggerMan
12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
The original mag on my CM9 split just like that (1 month old). I called Kahr and they said the same thing sent it in and we'll replace it. I shouldn't have to eat the shipping for returning a defective part on a brand new gun!I had all the baseplate welds fail on a new Chip McCormick mag. When I sent it back, my credit card was reimbursed for shipping it back as well as the $19 for the mag. This was Natchez Shooters Supply.

OldLincoln
12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
When I took on modifying my PM9 mags I saw the lips spread more with a full mag meaning the walls were flexing. I've looked at other brand guns and some have an anti-flex ridge across the flat portion.

I suppose everything fits so tight in the Kahr that won't work however they should get away with a fractional thicker or higher strength stainless to allow for flex. It may be torsional with the poly grip twisting when fired, so that's another thing to look at. Do mags fail on the steel Kahrs?

ColdDeadHands1
01-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Well, add me to the list. Here is my PM9 mag. I emailed Kahr Customer service. I expect the same answer. At least I already have an extra mag to hold me over!

Hope nothing is wrong with my gun. After I noticed this issue, I fired another 60 rounds with my other mag with no ill effects. We'll see!

http://kahrtalk.com/[IMG]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/garandman14/photo3-2.jpghttp://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/garandman14/photo3-2.jpg

JFootin
01-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Wow, it looks like something on the slide hit it on the way back while firing. Or maybe it hit the top bullet and jammed it back against the back of the mag. I just don't understand what in there could make contact like that. Could the ejecting case get out of position and do that? Did you notice it right away or after you emptied the mag and ejected it?

JimC
01-29-2012, 08:15 AM
How about maybe the mag just split like so many others because Kahr and their supplier just can't figure out that their mags are a POS and they don't know how to fix the problem?!?! :eek:

ColdDeadHands1
01-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I only noticed it when it was difficult to remove and reinsert the mag.

jocko
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
they may want to look at the entire gun, if so ask them to pick up the tab both ways. It is never good when it happens to you the owner. all the things taht JFottin is even stating if any are truye, it still shoul dnot be happening.

Dreamliner787
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I like my CM but I don't like the mags. Just my opinon before the Kahr fans gets all upset.

JimC
01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I like my CM but I don't like the mags. Just my opinon before the Kahr fans gets all upset.

I'm very fond of my PM9 but I think the mags suck and that takes away from an expensive but very good EDC gun!

If the mags for the Kahr pistols are made by Mec-Gar as some have suggested, Mec-Gar should be embarrassed with the number of failures Kahr owners are experiencing with their mags.

jocko
01-29-2012, 03:30 PM
not sure of the Mec-Gar thing as they is a foreign company and I think I read somewhere where kahr stated their mags are American made. I have no clue what i causing it but in my little mind, I don't think it is a total mag related thing. I think some guns are causingit and I can not provbe that one wayor the other. Damn these magazines are all stainless, They don't show any places that I can see that makes it a cheap ass magazine but for magazines to split we have seen onsome, well I have no explanation.

JimC
01-29-2012, 03:44 PM
not sure of the Mec-Gar thing as they is a foreign company and I think I read somewhere where kahr stated their mags are American made. I have no clue what i causing it but in my little mind, I don't think it is a total mag related thing. I think some guns are causingit and I can not provbe that one wayor the other. Damn these magazines are all stainless, They don't show any places that I can see that makes it a cheap ass magazine but for magazines to split we have seen onsome, well I have no explanation.

Mec-Gar USA:

MEC-GAR USA, INC.

905 Middle Street

Middletown, CT 06457 USA

Phone (860) 635-1525 / 635-1520 / 635-1527

Fax (860) 635-1712

Email mags@mec-gar.com

And they will not answer the question if they are the supplier of Kahr Arms mags.

JFootin
01-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Could the mag be sitting a little too high and the stripper is hitting the top back edge of the mag? Maybe the mag latch hole a bit off spec on that mag?

jocko
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I have often wondered that myself, but I guess it should do that with every magazine if indeed the gun is the culprit. I am at a loss Footin and when andif there is a fix, I am sure we will never hear exazctly what that fix is either.

Chip King
01-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Kahr customer service has always been good to deal with. I have owned several starting with a K9 more years ago than I care to think about. Great guns

--- Chip King ---

JC2317
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM

I hate that my first post here is a negative one but..
I love my CM 9 it shoots and carries like a dream. However, the magazines are crap. The one that came with the gun had a very loose baseplate. I tightened it a little, but I have no confidence in it. I ordered 3 six rounders, and two seven rounders. Two of the six rounders also had loose baseplates. The seven rounders were fine. So I have three magazines for range use only. Kahr should get on this.
Other than that I love this little gun.
Great forumn lots of great info on here.

jocko
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
it certainly isn't rocket science to "tighten" uip the base plate. With a loaded magazine I sincerley doubt if that base plate even tends to rattle at all. Did the baseplate fall off the magazine??? What are u basing ur lost confidence in the magazines???.

IMO a very piddly complaint..

JC2317
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
While practicing reloads at the range I reached for the magazine in it's pouch and as I was pulling it out the baseplate came off in my hand, causing rounds, magazine body, and spring to spray all over range. This was after a cursory inspection, feeling it was loose, fixing it, and having loaded and fired it twice. So yes I think I have a valid complaint. Whoever is making these magazines for them should look at their quality control a little more. In my opinion if it isn't right, I'm not trusting my life with it. I'll use one that is good right out of the box, no adjustment needed. As I said with a solid magazine, and with the seven rounders this gun is outstanding.

Tilos
01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
JC:
This is something that has been discussed and a fix posted about sharpening up the edges of the bump on the base plate retainer, so the baseplate cannot slide off easily.
Placing the retainer over a drilled hole and hitting it with a punch was the fix and the thread had pics...try a search for it.
Tilos

JC2317
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
JC:
This is something that has been discussed and a fix posted about sharpening up the edges of the bump on the base plate retainer, so the baseplate cannot slide off easily.
Placing the retainer over a drilled hole and hitting it with a punch was the fix and the thread had pics...try a search for it.
Tilos

Thank You Sir!
Sounds like thats a better idea then to keep buying magazines!
I will do that tonight. As I said lots of great info on here.
Thanks Again Tilos.

pDubs
02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Does anyone have problems with the baseplate not staying exactly where it should? Mine slides around sometimes.