PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Make Yourself a Target

Longitude Zero
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I was talking about this on the CCW/Badge thread and how the bad guys recognize 5.11 pants and then target them as off-duty cops based upon clothing. I got to thinking that this deserved its own thread.

Sad but true. Way too many folks think that street thugs are too stupid to be on the internet. For those who are IGNORANT enough to feel that way I have news for you.

Prior to my department switching to encrypted/digital/trunking radios we raided a biker gangs headquaters. In one room they had 10 biker beotches monitorring scanners. This was 20 years ago.

They are here and watching/listening/learning. DVD's of the biggest names in gunfighting techniques have been confiscated time and time agian in raids of dopers and other assorted riff raff. If they have a presence on the internet there products are in the hands of slime balls. It is not the intructors fault they have to market their products and sadly bad guys and gals buy off the internet too.

About the best that can be hoped for is that we keep them from backtracing our IP addresses and finding out who we are and where we live. It is scary that software that allows that to happen is available.

Contrary to popular belief bad guys do practice with their weapons. They are primed to fire first. Your only hope if they start acting up in your vicinity is that they decide to shoot somebody else first and give you the 1 or 2 seconds to correctly react. However if you are targetted as the first target you will be taken down and probably out permanently. It does not pay to be the first. You want to avoid looking like a threat to their safety. Blending in and not appearing to be a threat is primary. Pay attention to how you dress, what brands you wear, the logo's on your clothes and hats etc.

melissa5
06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I really like my 5.11 pants & shorts (lots of pockets), but I see how it can be misleading. I am regularly asked if I'm a LEO.

Bawanna
06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I really like my 5.11 pants & shorts (lots of pockets), but I see how it can be misleading. I am regularly asked if I'm a LEO.

Me too, I tell em no I'm a Libra.

I never go to a store or fast food joint or even the gas station without covering up my uniform shirt.

melissa5
06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Me too, I tell em no I'm a Libra.

You are a laugh riot!

Bill K
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I hear what you're saying yet logic tells me it can cut both ways. A bad guy believing you to be ODP could very well have them move onto a more sheepish looking target. It just depends.

Bill K.

ltxi
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I was talking about this on the CCW/Badge thread and how the bad guys recognize 5.11 pants and then target them as off-duty cops based upon clothing. I got to thinking that this deserved its own thread.

Sad but true. Way too many folks think that street thugs are too stupid to be on the internet. For those who are IGNORANT enough to feel that way I have news for you.

Prior to my department switching to encrypted/digital/trunking radios we raided a biker gangs headquaters. In one room they had 10 biker beotches monitorring scanners. This was 20 years ago.

They are here and watching/listening/learning. DVD's of the biggest names in gunfighting techniques have been confiscated time and time agian in raids of dopers and other assorted riff raff. If they have a presence on the internet there products are in the hands of slime balls. It is not the intructors fault they have to market their products and sadly bad guys and gals buy off the internet too.

About the best that can be hoped for is that we keep them from backtracing our IP addresses and finding out who we are and where we live. It is scary that software that allows that to happen is available.

Contrary to popular belief bad guys do practice with their weapons. They are primed to fire first. Your only hope if they start acting up in your vicinity is that they decide to shoot somebody else first and give you the 1 or 2 seconds to correctly react. However if you are targetted as the first target you will be taken down and probably out permanently. It does not pay to be the first. You want to avoid looking like a threat to their safety. Blending in and not appearing to be a threat is primary. Pay attention to how you dress, what brands you wear, the logo's on your clothes and hats etc.

Precisely why I passed on a really nice new windbreaker at a great price at the company store when I was back east last week. It had a non removable agency logo, upper left chest...aka target.

knkali
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
interesting viewpoint