PDA

View Full Version : Got a PM9 yesterday

Brad737
06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Man, what a little pocket rocket! I've admired Kahrs for awhile, but hadn't ever fired one. But I found a smokin' deal on a very low round count DLC, and couldn't resist. I found that the 6-rd mag loaded like a dream, but the 7 rounder had trouble feeding the first round, so I bought another 6-rd mag. Besides the 1st round issue with the 7 round mag, it cycled perfectly. In all honesty, I'm going to need to practice a bit with it. Every shot was in the center of mass, but my groups were a bit larger than I like. But that's absolutely a grip issue for me. I'm used to firing larger pistols, so it'll just take me awhile to figure out how to tweak my grip for the tiny gun. I must say, I'm very impressed. My normal CCW is a Glock 30, and a S&W 642 for summer wardrobe. I really like the idea of 7 shots in the PM9 versus 5 with the J Frame. For a 9mm defensive round, I like the Ranger T in 124 +P and 127 +P+. Have any of you tried this in your PMs with good results? I'll probably run another 200 rounds of FMJ to assure a good break in before I start trying out carry ammo. Recommendations, anyone?
Thanks,
Brad

gagnejs8
06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I think a majority on this forum carry gold dots in their PM9's. But use whatever cycles 100% and what your comfortable with!

Jitterbug
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I've carried the 147 Speer Gold's for years, they ran fine in mine. I became convinced reading over the years that the 147's were the better choice with the short barrel. However I'd bet the mid-weight's would work just fine, not sure I'd run +p in my gun, but that's just me.

The Gold Dot is, I believe an excellent load, but either currently hard to find or too expensive or both, so I just switched to Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T's, both 147's.

I haven't tested them yet, but I'm sure one or the other will do, the few HST's I've fired seemed to have more recoil then the Gold Dot, but too soon to tell for sure yet.

Yep, the little bugger requires some grip technique but not to hard to master, I just installed a Pierce extender (much easier to install then the Glock) I purchased from Kahr, feels great, but I haven't tested for function yet, I hope it works well and doesn't cause any jamming issues.

There is a "sticky" somewhere around here dealing with Magazine issues and how to smooth them up, dig around, learn and enjoy.

My 7 rounder works fine.

Welcome to PM9's.

RogerP9fan
06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Congrats.
My CM9 eats up Federal HST 147g +P
Have you seen the ballistics tests on this stuff? Woooh.

CJB
06-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Congrats on the new PM9

jocko
06-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Man, what a little pocket rocket! I've admired Kahrs for awhile, but hadn't ever fired one. But I found a smokin' deal on a very low round count DLC, and couldn't resist. I found that the 6-rd mag loaded like a dream, but the 7 rounder had trouble feeding the first round, so I bought another 6-rd mag. Besides the 1st round issue with the 7 round mag, it cycled perfectly. In all honesty, I'm going to need to practice a bit with it. Every shot was in the center of mass, but my groups were a bit larger than I like. But that's absolutely a grip issue for me. I'm used to firing larger pistols, so it'll just take me awhile to figure out how to tweak my grip for the tiny gun. I must say, I'm very impressed. My normal CCW is a Glock 30, and a S&W 642 for summer wardrobe. I really like the idea of 7 shots in the PM9 versus 5 with the J Frame. For a 9mm defensive round, I like the Ranger T in 124 +P and 127 +P+. Have any of you tried this in your PMs with good results? I'll probably run another 200 rounds of FMJ to assure a good break in before I start trying out carry ammo. Recommendations, anyone?
Thanks,
Brad

welcome aboard, u bought the bestkahr madeIMO. if ur groups are COM. then forget about better groups. IMO ur not gonna get ragged hole groupls with kahrs, they are what they are a ultra safe gun with a loooooong trigger system that is smoother than glass. It isthe trigger system not you mainly with the groupls. COM is good, practice close keep your shooting 7-10 yards and under. you got a small rocket cannon, understand it well and expect nomore than what it can offer.

any defense round is gonna work great in the pM(. to many to choose from. no doubt the most poplar is the 124 gold dot. they funcion great,but tere are lots of good defense rounds so find what works perfect and just stick with 8it.

If you have not visited the kahr tech section, hit on the sticky called: Kashyr lube chart. it is excellent. IMNO ur betteroff with the 6 round flush mag over that butt ugly 7 rounder anyways.:cheer2:

Dietrich
06-28-2011, 05:45 AM
The PM9 is a smokin` little handgun indeed.I`ve always carried either Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Saber in mine.Both loads at 124 grain +P.PM9s can handle +P ammo with no problem.Either of these loads will penetrate and expand very well but that can be said about a lot of good brand name amminition.Carry what works in your gun and you feel comfortable with.You have made a fine choice in your new Kahr.

Bill K
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Welcome to KahrTalk!

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your PM9. Had 7 round mag issues myself but Kahr was kind enough to exchange the 7 for a 6.

Love the PM9 for pocket carry. It'll fit and allow for a smooth draw from most of pants pockets and has replaced my P3AT for those pants. If I ever get an AIWB holster it'd probably replace a lot more of my Glock 26 carry.

I was first carrying Black Hills 124 +P (XTP bullet) to keep the same load as my Glock but have since switched to Black Hills 115 EXP for the PM9.

Take care,
Bill K.

TheTman
06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the forum Brad. I would think the lighter weight bullets would work better from the short barrel than the 147 gr. I'm thinking the less mass the powder has to push out of the barrel the more FPS and FPE you are going to get.
Also a friend and I did some handload tests with various weight bullets, using a Beretta 92 and a Star Model 30, and the 115-124 gr bullets had much smaller groups and better accuracy than the 147gr did. Some agencies use the 147gr because it penetrates barriers better than the lighter weight bullets did in their test. But they were using full size pistols with longer barrels. I'd vote for Jocko's choice - 124 gr Gold Dots.

dirksterg30
06-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Brad. I would think the lighter weight bullets would work better from the short barrel than the 147 gr. I'm thinking the less mass the powder has to push out of the barrel the more FPS and FPE you are going to get.
Also a friend and I did some handload tests with various weight bullets, using a Beretta 92 and a Star Model 30, and the 115-124 gr bullets had much smaller groups and better accuracy than the 147gr did. Some agencies use the 147gr because it penetrates barriers better than the lighter weight bullets did in their test. But they were using full size pistols with longer barrels. I'd vote for Jocko's choice - 124 gr Gold Dots.

Actually 147gr. rounds loose a smaller percentage of velocity when fired out of a short barrel. That said, 124gr. Gold Dots are a good choice as well. Lots of good info here: 9mm 147gr and Short Barrels (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23210)

TheTman
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the link dirksterg30, the smaller grain bullets are moving a lot faster to begin with though. I think we're getting into the age old discussion of light n fast vs heavy n slow. I like heavy and slow on my .45, and light and fast on the other calibers.

oldjarhead
06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Speer makes great 9mm 124g Gold Dots specifically for short barrels, with self defense in mind. This is what I carry in my PM9:33:

jocko
06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
do u feel that short barrel 124 gold dot is really different than the standard 124 gold dots, can u tell any difference, like less muzzle flash etc...

MikeyKahr
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
jocko, I shot 20 of each on Sunday through my PM9 and couldn't tell the difference. Both boxes were 124 grain +P. Maybe someone else can differentiate, but I can't.

While I'm on the subject, shot 180 through my PM9 on Sunday (fantastic weather!) with only some minimal issues. After 120 rounds I started having some feeding issues. Ut oh. First thing I did was took a look at my feed ramp and it was absolutely FILTHY! Quick take down and a quick clean up, and the next 50-60 went sweetly issue free. Good reminder to make sure to keep my gun clean. Shot another 50 round box of my carry rounds and they fired extremely well! I'm sold on the Federal HST 124 grain +P for my carry rounds - box a few boxes while they were on sale so I'm glad they work in my PM9. One interesting thing of note. When loading my HSTs, the second round did not slide forward at all. Rock solid right where it should be. Thought that was interesting that they don't slide forward like other rounds I've tried.

jocko
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I always have a bore snake with me at the range, nice quick wayto clean bore and feed ramp. thanks for the honest feedback on the 124 gold dots. When they say short barrel Ioften wonder how short a barrel thery are really talking about. 6" 5" 3". there all short by some standards.

Willieboy
06-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Hello Brad and congratulations on your choice of the PM9. It's a nice little piece of comfort in a crazy world. I've been carrying my PM9 nearly every day this summer; its just so versatile.... AIWB, pocket, even on the hip occasionally. What could be finer.

I carry Corbon 115 grain +P in mine.