PDA

View Full Version : Adv Arms 1911 first time at range

MW surveyor
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, said I'd do a range report after taking the Advantage Arms 1911 22 conversion, so here it is.

First the picture as everyone know it didn't happen without photo proof. Sorry in advance for the cell phone photo. Can't seem to find my SD card reader anywhere. :31:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l605/MWsurveyor/aafirstouting.jpg

Please ignore any rounds that went out of the black targets except for the ones that are in the bulls eye in the trigger guard :rolleyes:

Gun likes mini mags and golden bullets. Hates Western with a passion. Never seen vertical jams before using the Western. Any how, the conversion seems to be more accurate with the Remington golden bullets. No jams, failures to feed, fire, etc using the mini mags or the rems.

There was one glitch about 250 rounds in.....had to re-tighten the guide rod onto the pin. Boy accuracy really dropped off with the barrel loose :o

Any way, after shooting about 300 rounds decided to put the mosquitoes away and bring out the real man's rounds :cool:. Wow, using the 22 top really helped out. Good tight groups with the 45 rounds. Mostly about 2 in or so. Way better than the last 372 rounds of 45 through the gun.

Happy with the results so far especially since it seems that the trigger is working in.

TonyT
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM
From your description it appears you have the unit with the sight rail attached to the barrel. That is the same configuration as the Marvel#1. The Marvel was the predecessor of the AA unit but does not have the steel imnsert in the slide which locks the slide back after firing the last round.
I have an AA unit for my Glock 17 which functions flawlessly with Remington Golden and CCI mini Mag ammo. One does expereince ignition failures with the Remington Golden.
My Marvel#1 is 100% reliable with SVammo and with a heavier recoil spring it also works with the bulk pack Federal copper washed HV HP ammo. One plus of the Marvel unit is that I can use the 15 round Ciener magazines.

MW surveyor
07-02-2011, 08:38 AM
TonyT - It is the "target" model with the sight rail attached to the barrel with two socket head screws. The slide does lock back on the first round and there is a steel insert where the slide lock makes contact with the slide.

Funny thing about the Rems this trip. No failures to fire. Been so used to having them fail. Maybe they are getting better? Haven't seen any Federal copper washed ammo around here. If I do see some, I'll also give them a try. If they don't work in the AA conversion, I've got plenty of others including a revolver they'll work in.

TonyT
07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
TonyT - It is the "target" model with the sight rail attached to the barrel with two socket head screws. The slide does lock back on the first round and there is a steel insert where the slide lock makes contact with the slide.

Funny thing about the Rems this trip. No failures to fire. Been so used to having them fail. Maybe they are getting better? Haven't seen any Federal copper washed ammo around here. If I do see some, I'll also give them a try. If they don't work in the AA conversion, I've got plenty of others including a revolver they'll work in.
You may need a lighter recoil spring with the Federal copper washed HV HP bulk pack ammo. The recoil impulse from either the Remiongton Golden or CCI miniMags is noticeably stiffer than from the Federal's. My G-17 AA unit works well with the CCI & Rem Au but fails with the Federal.

MW surveyor
07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
As long as the mini mags and the Rem Golden work, not changing the spring! Didn't try any Feds as AA does not recommend them even though they are the only solids that I can find around here.

Gotta get back to the yard before it gets too hot!