PDA

View Full Version : Less expensive jhp ammo

Dietrich
07-02-2011, 12:19 PM
This question is one that I`ve been tossing around in my head for a few weeks now and I want some definitive answers from those here.I have bought some Remington 230 grain jhp and Winchester white box 230 grain jhp from Wallyworld.I wanted to see how less expensive hp rounds were handled by my guns.Both run fine in my two .45s.Are they so ineffective that one would be foolish to carry either of those rounds for self defense?I mean,let`s face it.Most civilian SD shootings don`t require shooting through barriers.Heck,a lot of the time merely the presence of a gun stops aggression.But if you do have to pull the trigger,would you be running a much larger risk of failing to stop the BG using this ammunition? I currently carry Remington Bonded 230 grain Golden Saber but it is prohibitively expensive to practice with.It would be nice to be able to practice with what I carry for self defense and that would be a lot easier with the cheaper ammo.Don`t misunderstand what I am saying.If this ammo is dung I`ll drop it like a bad habit but if it`s reasonably functional I`d like to know.Bonded GS in 230 grain ain`t easy to find.Or pay for.

jlottmc
07-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I have had exactly zero problems with that kind of stuff. In fact I keep most of my guns loaded with BVAC re-manufactured hollow points. I have one 40 that is still loaded with Winchester Rangers in the 180gr variety. I even have the CZ 52 loaded with Wolf hollow points. No worries. My GP100 is loaded with Winchester 110gr semi-jacketed hollow points, and all that is because 1 it's available, and 2 I can pay for it, as well as 3 it works just fine.

wyntrout
07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
If it functions in your pistols, that's the biggie. I saw the Winchester JHP for $29.95 a box of 50 in Wally World back when that was about all there was on the slelf with any consistency. I never really thought about using it for self defense, though.

I switched from Golden Sabers to the Bonded Golden Sabers and thought I had a real winner there, until I couldn't get any more. Then I switched to Speer Short-Barrel Gold Dots 'cause I wanted a known performer and I needed something for my PM45 with its short barrel.

I'm still using the Bonded GS in the S7W 645 for home defense and haven't really set the 4" Champion up for any defensive use, yet. I did buy a bunch of regular 230-gr Gold Dots for those two..., as replacements when the Bonded GS runs out.

I think the SB GD was about $21/20 and the regular $26 or so for 50. I do want to stick with the bonded bullets... and the ones designed for short barrels where applicable.

The "regular" 230-gr JHPs should work fine, though. I think they'll work well on the BG's... better than they do on paper and water bottles, etc.

Wynn:)

yqtszhj
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I buy the federal "classic" 115 grain JHP in 9mm from cheaper than dirt for my CW9 and now my CM9. less than 17 dollars per 50, feeds really well, cheap enough I can practice with it, and it expands well in a milk jug test. Now it's not a Gold Dot like in my .380 but I didn't pay a dollar a round either.

500KV
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I've noticed that several guys, who really know a lot about handguns, SD, etc. use 230gr FMJ in their .45ACP carry guns.
I also know some who say you're giving up something by not using hollow points.
So, as with everything, there's that diffrence of opinion.

While I carry Ranger T's in mine, I wouldn't really feel any less well armed with 230gr hardball.
Now, let us know what you decide.

wyntrout
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
FMJ is required on the battlefield, but a poor choice for shooting at people, since you are endangering people behind and beyond the targeted BG, and behind "flimsy" walls, even! Over penetration is not a desired "feature" when considering ammo for defense.

That said, it might be a must for the NORTHERN climes and heavy winter clothing, especially if you insist on carrying a .380 or lighter caliber weapon.

O'Dell
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I buy it whenever I can find it, and yes, I sometimes carry it. There's no such thing as an ineffective 230 gr 45 ACP.

500KV
07-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I buy it whenever I can find it, and yes, I sometimes carry it. There's no such thing as an ineffective 230 gr 45 ACP.

^^^^
This.
We're strictly talking .45ACP now.

500KV
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
FMJ is required on the battlefield, but a poor choice for shooting at people, since you are endangering people behind and beyond the targeted BG, and behind "flimsy" walls, even! Over penetration is not a desired "feature" when considering ammo for defense.

That said, it might be a must for the NORTHERN climes and heavy winter clothing, especially if you insist on carrying a .380 or lighter caliber weapon.

I wouldn't think you would need to worry about over penetration from a 230gr FMJ from a 3 or 4" barrel, maybe it could happen, and if you don't hit the perp you're shooting at I would bet you'd have much more serious concerns than hitting an innocent bystander.
JMHO.

jocko
07-02-2011, 03:40 PM

good point,there ol wise one:behindsofa:

Bawanna
07-02-2011, 03:46 PM

You hit that nail so hard with one blow we don't need no countersink.

I would only carry FMJ in a pinch but any HP or soft point in 45 will do just fine. It's gonna ruin your day, I don't care who you are.

wyntrout
07-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't think you would need to worry about over penetration from a 230gr FMJ from a 3 or 4" barrel, maybe it could happen, and if you don't hit the perp you're shooting at I would bet you'd have much more serious concerns than hitting an innocent bystander.
JMHO.

The "holy grail" standard is 12" of penetration at least, in testing JHP's, but this is to allow hitting a BG from an angle and the bullet having to travel through more tissue (or the arm) to reach critical areas like the heart, lungs, spine, etc. Frontal, square-on hits with FMJ are going through with plenty of oomph to continue doing damage... unless they encounter really dense bone.

This might be a good thing if you're shooting at a group or gang of bad guys... or gals. :D

Wynn:blah:

Dietrich
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
You hit that nail so hard with one blow we don't need no countersink.

I would only carry FMJ in a pinch but any HP or soft point in 45 will do just fine. It's gonna ruin your day, I don't care who you are.

Well,I reckon that just about settles that.Thanks people.

JimBianchi
07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
I have carried and test that cheap 45ACP ammo enough to feel confident in its ability to put a bad guy down.

A 9mm MAY expand to to .50 or .60 when it hits the target.

A 45ACP will never shrink smaller than .45.......

While I prefer a premium ammo, the Wally World 45ACP a good choice for the budget minded, much better than the Wally World 9mm 147 JHP on the same shelf.

In my wet pack tests, the cheap 45ACP expanded reliably and penetrated 12inches. The cheap 9mm ammo did not always expand and sometimes came apart.

YMMV

ltxi
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I've noticed that several guys, who really know a lot about handguns, SD, etc. use 230gr FMJ in their .45ACP carry guns.
I also know some who say you're giving up something by not using hollow points.
So, as with everything, there's that diffrence of opinion.

While I carry Ranger T's in mine, I wouldn't really feel any less well armed with 230gr hardball.
Now, let us know what you decide.

Carrying FMJ for personal defense, that would not be me. On the other hand, I do still use standard pressure 230 HydraShok. I'm not really sensitive to any need for the latest, fastest, cutting edge ammunition in a .45. Any proven HP in the hands of a shootist will work well enough.

Rainman48314
07-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I buy the federal "classic" 115 grain JHP in 9mm from cheaper than dirt for my CW9 and now my CM9. less than 17 dollars per 50, feeds really well, cheap enough I can practice with it, and it expands well in a milk jug test. Now it's not a Gold Dot like in my .380 but I didn't pay a dollar a round either.
Doing the same. Feeds well in my M&P 9, PM9 and hopefully in the Ruger LC9 I just bought while on vacation.

TucsonMTB
07-02-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/assets/images/fedepicc45c.jpg
Back before the prices got so out of hand, we stocked up on this Federal Classic round. It feeds really well in all our 1911's and can still be found for about $0.40 per round delivered with some careful shopping. Yeah, 185 grain is lighter than 230 grain, but the recoil is even softer than Speer Lawman FMJ and it makes nice round holes. ;)

Edited to add a link to a supplier priced at less than $0.40 per round delivered (http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Federal-Cartridge-Classic-45-Auto-185gr-PwrShok-JHP-C45C_p_4429.html#).

yqtszhj
07-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Back before the prices got so out of hand, we stocked up on this Federal Classic round. It feeds really well in all our 1911's and can still be found for about $0.40 per round delivered with some careful shopping. Yeah, 185 grain is lighter than 230 grain, but the recoil is even softer than Speer Lawman FMJ and it makes nice round holes. ;)

Edited to add a link to a supplier priced at less than $0.40 per round delivered (http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Federal-Cartridge-Classic-45-Auto-185gr-PwrShok-JHP-C45C_p_4429.html#).

I'm going to have to order some of this. Good price and if it works like the 9MM it will be good.

Dietrich
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM

That is mighty attractive.How many rounds per box?

TucsonMTB
07-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, cr@p! It was always in 50 round boxes when I purchased it, but I see Federal part number C45C specifies only 20 round boxes. :32:

Abort! Abort!

Sorry for the bad information on round cost. :o

TucsonMTB
07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Lucky Gunner has the 50 round boxes of 230 grain Federal Classic (part number 45D) ammo at this link (http://www.luckygunner.com/federal-45-acp-ammo-for-sale-45acp230jhphishokfed-50). But, they are $0.62 per round delivered for 10 boxes or 500 rounds total.

That's nearly double what I have paid in the past! :eek:

Durned glad we stocked up a few years ago, but very sorry for anyone buying right now. :blushing:

yqtszhj
07-03-2011, 12:17 PM
CTD, 45 cents per round for 10 boxes delivered to my door. 50 Rounds per box.

Item # AMM-5153 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-5153)

How about save me some?

TucsonMTB
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
CTD, 45 cents per round for 10 boxes delivered to my door. 50 Rounds per box.

Item # AMM-5153 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-5153)

How about save me some?
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/AMM-5153.jpg
Well done, sir! That is exactly what we have squirreled away from several years ago. I am shooting up a bunch of S&B 230 grain ball at the range, but this is what we have the most of and enjoy shooting more than ball.

I promise not to compete with you for any of their current inventory. :D

O'Dell
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Lucky Gunner has the 50 round boxes of 230 grain Federal Classic (part number 45D) ammo at this link (http://www.luckygunner.com/federal-45-acp-ammo-for-sale-45acp230jhphishokfed-50). But, they are $0.62 per round delivered for 10 boxes or 500 rounds total.

That's nearly double what I have paid in the past! :eek:

Durned glad we stocked up a few years ago, but very sorry for anyone buying right now. :blushing:

I use to buy from 'Lucky Gunner' because they had decent prices and they're in my hometown, Knoxville. I still get E-Mails from them every week, but the prices are no longer decent. I hate to admit it, but WM seems to have the best prices today on 45ACP, although they seldom have any in stock in my area. I have about 1600 rounds, but that's the ammo I shoot most often, so I pick it up whenever it's available.