PDA

View Full Version : Take A Chance on Remora?

Bill K
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Your opinion please...

I'm thinking about getting an AIWB holster for occasional carry of my PM9. Primary carry will remain front right pocket in a modified by me Kydex Alabama Pocket holster.

I know that something like the Mr. Softy from High Noon would meet my needs but wonder if I should take a chance and try something different like the no-clip Remora holster. The Remora seems to get a lot of good press both here on KahrTalk and a bunch of other places. So play it safe and get the Mr. Softy or take a chance and get the Remora? All your opinions pro and con for either choice are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill K.

DBP9
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I carry my P9 in a Remora when I am doing stuff around the house or am running a quick errand while wearing gym shorts or sweats with no belt. I also use it for quick stops when I am on long drives, and for comfort sake have removed my belt and holster (my P9 fits perfectly in my driver side door pocket while in a Remora). It works great, and the holster stays put. Their customer service is also excellent, and they will make sure you are happy with your product.

JohnInFlorida
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I too think that the Remora is a fine product.

I carry my PM9 AIWB when I'm out walking about and can easily switch it to crossdraw when I get in the car. With no belt clip it is easy to move from one position to the other and IT STAYS PUT in either place. My initial thought was that it would be insecure without a belt clip, but that is absolutely not the case. It has good retention of the pistol in the holster and good retention of the holster in the waistband. I bought the "#4 ART RFT SS" size/style and it is a perfect fit for the PM9. The Reinforced Top (RFT) makes for easy one handed re-holstering. In addition, I bought 2 spare mag pouches and am pleased with them as well ... I use one for EDC and both for IDPA matches. Just like the holster, they stay where I put them.

garyb
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I highly recommend Remora. I use one for my PM40, mostly IWB, but sometimes R front pocket. Very comfortable. Works well with all pants, including swim shorts with the draw string pulled. Does not slip and can be adjusted to any comfortable position IWB. Compare the prices too.

Denny M
07-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I have a PM9 and use Remora for pocket carry and IWB. I put my PM9 in my front pocket when I get our of my car when traveling. It is fast easy and leaves very little print. Also, stays in my pocket when I draw the pistol, I practice at the range often. IWB I carry ar 4:00 and the holster never moves. I would suggest the style that has the firm edge around the opening, it allows you to reholster more easily. I believe that is a model 6A for the PM9. 6A works with or without a CT.

JFootin
07-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I too think that the Remora is a fine product.

.... I bought the "#4 AFT RFT SS" size/style and it is a perfect fit for the PM9.

Hi John. I'm John in NC. :) I own a CM9 (http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/My%20Custom%20CM9/?albumview=slideshow). I have a question about the size you specified. I understand size 4, RFT for ReinForced Top, and SS for Sweat Shield, but did you mean ART for lower profile allowing better master grip? I cannot find AFT in the size chart (http://www.remoraholsters.com/uploads/MAIL_QUICK_REFERENCE-r.pdf).

Jball1125
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I use a remora with my CW9 and absolutely love it. Stays put and is very very comfortable.

Tilos
07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Bill K:
"Take a chance on a Remora"
Come on Bill...it'll cost you less than a burger and fries, where's the chance:rolleyes:.
There's lots of reviews here and everywhere, plus youtube vids.
If you don't like it, give it away for someone else to try:D.
Tilos

Rainman48314
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Your opinion please...

I'm thinking about getting an AIWB holster for occasional carry of my PM9. Primary carry will remain front right pocket in a modified by me Kydex Alabama Pocket holster.

I know that something like the Mr. Softy from High Noon would meet my needs but wonder if I should take a chance and try something different like the no-clip Remora holster. The Remora seems to get a lot of good press both here on KahrTalk and a bunch of other places. So play it safe and get the Mr. Softy or take a chance and get the Remora? All your opinions pro and con for either choice are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill K.When I carry my Sig P238, it is mostly in a Remora. When its not, its in a Sig pocket holster. Good product. Very flexible.

TucsonMTB
07-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Bill K:
"Take a chance on a Remora"
Come on Bill...it'll cost you less than a burger and fries, where's the chance:rolleyes:.
There's lots of reviews here and everywhere, plus youtube vids.
If you don't like it, give it away for someone else to try:D.
Tilos
+1 I hardly ever carry in the waist band and I am so not wealthy, but even I have a couple.

They are NOT "tuckable" but are otherwise perfect for many people. You might be a people too. ;)

JFootin
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
+1 I hardly ever carry in the waist band and I am so not wealthy, but even I have a couple.

They are NOT "tuckable" but are otherwise perfect for many people. You might be a people too. ;)

Why aren't they "tuckable"?

TucsonMTB
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Define "tuckable". Sure, you can tuck your shirt in around it, but if you have to pull back your shirt to get to the pistol, the holster may stick to your shirt tail and not be exactly where you want it to be after the shirt pulling action.

Admittedly, I am pretty clumsy, so it could be a limitation of my skills rather than the holster. Imagine that! :rolleyes:

JFootin
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
LOL! I see. So, an untucked shirt would work better. Those things must be pretty sticky to stay put without a clip or belt loop.

You know, I have my name on a list, waiting until it is my turn to get my holster made at http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/. I am going to ask him to make the clip changeable with a cut off, flattened one with Velcro glued to it. I will apply some Velcro in the strong side, behind the hip area of my belt to stick it to. Then, I can tuck my shirt and not have anything at all showing on the outside of the belt—total concealed carry for my CM9. I think a tuckable holster with Velcro attachment is the way to go, because what good is it if you still have one or two clips or loops visible to announce your weapon? Here is a picture of the holster I am ordering (flipped to show how my left handed holster will look):

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/HBEProThinLineIWBTuckableHolster.jpg

It's a lot more than a Remora, but I think it will be perfect.

TucsonMTB
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice bit of art in leather! No doubt the cost is well justified. :)

JohnInFlorida
07-07-2011, 04:05 AM
JFootin ... you are correct ... ART, not AFT ... and I've corrected the original entry ... thanks.

JFootin
07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I might get a Remora to use in my front pocket, and maybe with the strap for ankle wear. That's not a lot of money to satisfy both of those rolls.

I went to a huge indoors, air conditioned flea market along I-85 north of Atlanta a few years ago, and I found a nice quality, perfectly sized fanny pack for just $3! It has four zippered pockets, a cell phone pocket with Velcro flap to the right of the main body, and an adjustable nylon belt. Out front is a thin little zippered compartment that is perfect for my change purse. The first full size compartment is the perfect thickness for my wallet. Behind that is a thicker compartment that fits my CM9 perfectly. Finally, there is a wide, flat compartment hidden next to the belt line. With the cell phone pocket to the right, the main body rides a little to the left, positioning it ideally for my left hand draw. The zippers are very high quality and very smooth operating. It is all black in color. I'll have to get some pictures made of it. It is the best $3 investment I ever made. Packs of this quality start around $20 and go up from there. Talk about accessible and discreet carry? This is it!

Bill K
07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Please assuage a concern of mine that arises ironically from all these favorable Remora reviews. Is the holster material so "sticky" that the clearing of the cover garment might be impeded? Think something like a tee shirt or in cooler weather a sweater that is grabbed at the hem and lifted straight up in order to expose the gun for the draw.

Thanks again...

garyb
07-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Hi John. I'm John in NC. :) I own a CM9 (http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/My%20Custom%20CM9/?albumview=slideshow). I have a question about the size you specified. I understand size 4, RFT for ReinForced Top, and SS for Sweat Shield, but did you mean ART for lower profile allowing better master grip? I cannot find AFT in the size chart (http://www.remoraholsters.com/uploads/MAIL_QUICK_REFERENCE-r.pdf).
If you call or email the manufacturer, they are very good about helping you. Remora is a great company with an excellent product at the right price. If you don't like what you get from them, send it back for a refund. Just a suggestion.

TucsonMTB
07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Please assuage a concern of mine that arises ironically from all these favorable Remora reviews. Is the holster material so "sticky" that the clearing of the cover garment might be impeded? Think something like a tee shirt or in cooler weather a sweater that is grabbed at the hem and lifted straight up in order to expose the gun for the draw.

Thanks again...
Not that I have noticed. Most of the holster is inside your waistband.

Bill K
07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Not that I have noticed. Most of the holster is inside your waistband.

Gotcha. That is what I would have guessed but needed to ask. Thinking now if it were an issue it certainly would have been mentioned in at least a few of the reviews I've read here and elswhere and watched on YouTube.

Thanks...

Scimmia
07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
The material is very grabby with some pressure on it, but when there's no pressure like like with the cover garment, it really won't grab much.

Doctorbob
07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Here are some pictures of my BG380 in a Remora. I also carry my PM9 in a Remora. They are 'semi tuckable' and you would have to try a quick draw with whatever you were wearing to decide if you wanted to tuck your shirt it. For untucked shirts, sweaters or vests, they are really great. I would NOT recommend the RFT or the sweat guard. These holsters ar really amazing and, at the price, you can afford several.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/doctorbob2/holsters/IMG_0464.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/doctorbob2/holsters/IMG_0466.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/doctorbob2/holsters/IMG_0467.jpg

Bill K
07-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Here are some pictures of my BG380 in a Remora. I also carry my PM9 in a Remora. They are 'semi tuckable' and you would have to try a quick draw with whatever you were wearing to decide if you wanted to tuck your shirt it. For untucked shirts, sweaters or vests, they are really great. I would NOT recommend the RFT or the sweat guard. These holsters ar really amazing and, at the price, you can afford several.

Nice pics!

I'm not in favor of sweat guards. I'd be concerned about my thumb getting behind the guard should a quick draw under pressure be attempted.

I've never tucked with my appendix carry but it might be interesting to investigate the possibilities should I get (I am now strongly leaning to getting) a Remora.

Why NOT the reinforced top? Your reasoning please.

Thanks...

PS. One of my brothers, a retired NYPD Detective, has fallen in love with his S&W BG .380.

Doctorbob
07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Nice pics!

I'm not in favor of sweat guards. I'd be concerned about my thumb getting behind the guard should a quick draw under pressure be attempted.

I've never tucked with my appendix carry but it might be interesting to investigate the possibilities should I get (I am now strongly leaning to getting) a Remora.

Thanks...

PS. One of my brothers, a retired NYPD Detective, has fallen in love with his S&W BG .380.

The BG380 is SO easy to carry. My concern is that it might not be 'enough' gun. I also wanted to have a single platform that used readily available ammo. So G26, G19 and PM9...

The reinforced top is useful if you have to reholster in a hurry. I figure that reholstering is what you do AFTER the action is over and you will then have lots of time to do it. In the meanwhile it will provide a 'lump' in your pants, make a smooth fit into a non-smooth fit and just get in the way of really good concealment. I don't know about whether or not it is less secure. There is a video of someone wearing a remora with gun inserted and doing judo rolls, etc. without losing eithr the gun or the holster.

The one draw back with the remora is using the crapper. When you go to drop trou, you have to remember to grab the gun. It is SO comfortable and SO easy to forget that you might not think about grabbing it...

garyb
07-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Could work for you just fine. I don't have it for my BG380 or PM40. The regular Remora is so cumfy that you'd realize you don't need to spend any extra money.

The one draw back with the remora is using the crapper. When you go to drop trou, you have to remember to grab the gun. It is SO comfortable and SO easy to forget that you might not think about grabbing it...

So true. The Remora is so comfortable that you forget it is there. Super sticky and cushy. I take mine IWB out and hold it in my hand during the crapping session. If you set it down...it's set it and forget it! Not wise. I've heard of guys doing this, so I am extra careful about keeping it close.

If you don't try Remora holsters at the price and guarantee that they go for, you are missing something special. Nothing against the clips and big leather rigs, but the Remora is so compact, sticky, comfy and value oriented that you simply need to try at least one for a month or so. You'll be hooked.

By the way... I love that little Bodyguard as a tuck piece. Nice photos.

Bill K
07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
The BG380 is SO easy to carry. My concern is that it might not be 'enough' gun. I also wanted to have a single platform that used readily available ammo. So G26, G19 and PM9...

Doctorbob,

I hear your concerns about the effectiveness of the .380 but then many folks feel the same about 9mm and then some folks feel that a handgun is only useful to fight your way to a long gun. I can tell you from personal experience that these little pocket .380s can be effective.

Thanks for bringing up the issue of caring for the gun when you go to the john. I had my Glock 26 spill out of the holster once because the holster had lost some retention. It happened at home so it was no big deal but I'd not like that to happen in a public facility with other patrons present.