PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity-travel to FL

medezyner
12-21-2009, 08:44 AM
My state of New Hampshire has reciprocity agreements with many states, one of which is Florida. I’ll be heading down there in March and have begun to familiarize myself with their CCW laws as well as TSA travel requirements. This will be first time air traveling with a handgun and any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

mx5fan
12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I've flown with a handgun and it's been pretty straight forward:

1. locked case (you and you alone keep and hold the key), not a TSA approved key...the TSA site will tell you that.

2. I recommend either taking the slide off the pistol or putting one of those orange things in the slide to show it unloaded.

3. Go to the airline counter and tell the agent you have an unloaded "firearm" to declare.

3. They will give you a tag which declares the firearm is unloded, etc. you sign and place inside your locked box (on top of firearm.

4. Depending on the airline and airport they will either check your box or send you to TSA who will then run it through a scanner and you'll see it on the other side of your trip.

TIPS:

I like to put my pistol case inside my suitcase or put in in another small bag with a couple other items.

If TSA scans the bag ask them to put a zip tie on your suitcase, if the agent checks your suitcase or bag with the firearm in it, ask the agent to zip tie the suitcase or bag. Just and added measure of security.

Oh and ammo, place in your suitcase with tape on the ammo boxes...don't want cartridges rolling around in your suitcase. You do not need to declare ammo. Every airline has different requirements as to how much ammo (lbs) you can carry in your suitcase.

I found it easier then I expected...piece of cake and have fun on your trip.

medezyner
12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes, I thought the instructions on the TSA details were fairly straight-forward, but as an added measure; I’ll probably take a little trip into the airport prior to my departure. It’s only a few miles away and I don’t want any self-inflicted delays. I’ve got a few of those orange empty bore indicators, but taking the slide off just makes an empty chamber that more obvious.
I like that tie wrap tip, makes sense. Thanks for the tips.
What I found interesting is that the reciprocity law in FL doesnt cover other concealed weapons...like a knife!

wyntrout
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Medezyner, Hey! I was getting ready to make a comment on FL CCW and I saw the UPS truck coming. Just got my BB 90gr. 380 ammo from Cabela's. Boy, they were well-packaged. The BB boxes are unbelievable -- the size of 12ga shotshell boxes... almost, and bubble-wrapped. I attached a picture. The styro box is 2.25" deep! Cartridge in front.
I was wondering what your question is regarding knives. Our CCW permit down here permits us to conceal carry ANY weapon legal in FL -- knives, billy clubs, stun guns, pepper spray, etc. In my picture is my Gerber 3" Fastopen, spring-assisted knife and propping up the styro is my latest LED light/1million volt stun gun. I usually only carry the pepper/cs spray when I'm on base -- no guns/deadly weapons -- like the Fort commander forbidding the settlers to bring guns with them through Indian country in the wild west!
Here's a link to our FL CCW reciprocity site:
Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html)
I hope you can find your answers there.
Oh, and as I type there are just about 8 minutes left in Fall -- no P380N's shipping, yet??! <<sigh>>:(
Wynn

deadhead1971
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us/)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Have a safe trip.

medezyner
12-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Wyntrout - funny, I just received a box of BB .45 colt from Cabelas (gift to a Massachusetts shooting friend) and I was impressed with the package-job. Still waiting for the other part of the ammo order: Hornady 9MM 124GR JHP/XTP. That email coupon $20 off orders of $100 made me pull out the already max’d out plastic. Hey, it was for a good cause.
A few cups of coffee less and I would have slowed down enough to read the note 1) a little better. This is why these forums work! Thanks.
Deadhead1971 - thanks for the pdf. I printed it on good advice from someone who said to have it with me down there. Not all LE’s are up to snuff on the finer details of CCW/reciprocity.
Feeling much better at being able to bring Roscoe along instead of just a blade.

wyntrout
12-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Medezyner, those ammo boxes were well-packed -- taped shut and bubble-wrapped two together. They ought to win the excess packaging award from Consumer Report's, though. The boxes are about the size of 12ga 25-round boxes and the styro cartridge holders inside could accommodate a 2" long .50 cal bullet or larger. Six of those won't fit into my 3" wide ammo can and I don't know that I have another spare 50cal box laying around. I had to put them into a plastic boating dry-box for now. I may have to "decant" the bullets into something smaller for storage.
Fall is over and no change on the "Shipping this Fall notice" at Kahr.:(
Next year, I guess. My .380 stock is up to 945 rounds of ammo, so far! When I get the P380 I will definitely "shoot it like I stole it", to quote a fellow member here.
Good luck and a safe trip... and Happy Holidays.
Wynn:D

medezyner
12-21-2009, 12:46 PM
What the hell is up with all those funky fonts in my last posting? Hmm, that happened in another posting. I'll have to ask about that with one of the tech guys.
Your so close to 1000 rounds, dont stop now!

docbrazos
06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Funky rules every where, Texas say's I can carry any concealed handgun but no nuchucks, dagers or pohibited knifes. A 10 in " bowie knife" can get you 10 years!