PDA

View Full Version : CM9 Break in

sabrs584
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I was excited to get my CM9 this past weekend and took it to the range today to put the recommended 200 rounds through it. The slide failed to lock back at the end of 7 out the first 10 magazines. After that it locked back through the remainder of the 30 some magazines. I also had 6 FTF's using cheap target ammo.

Is this typical for a brand new Kahr? The slide issue seemed to be resolved by the end of my trip and the FTF's I am chalking up to the ammo. Any thoughts?

Thanks

crazymailman
07-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Honestly I think it's more common of shooters who have never shot the little guns. That small grip takes some getting used to. I have had two of the larger P9s with no issues and the first trip with the PM9 (which is the same size as the CM9 btw) I had 3 failures to lock back. The third time I actually felt my thumb riding the slide stop lever. After making a grip adjustment no more issues.

yqtszhj
07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I had 3 issues the first 150 rounds. one fail to feed and 2 mag drops. I think most was me. After that the next 100 were flawless as I made sure I did my part. Also got pretty good shooting it too. I do think it's one tight little pistol and gets better with every round. Will do another 100 this week.

slowpoke
07-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Welcome to KT!
I have had no issues of any kind with my CM9 with 6 or 8 round mags.
I use this lube guide on a new Khar before shooting it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/Kahr/KahrLubePoints.jpg
When I bought my CW40 it got the same lube treatment and it too is perfect.
Also check out.
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521 :yo:
(http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521)

PoppaMike
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Flat-nose, 147 grain, brass or fmj case should help if you're having nose-down or loading issues.

I've found that, at least in my CM9, the rounded-nose cartridges often nose-down after the 1st chambered round is fired. I switched to flat-nosed & VOILÀ, no issues.

If you're not sure, make a spreadsheet & try out different ammo, noting brand, grain, case & write down any issues or no issues. I did just this for over 1,000 rounds now & learned the above.

I have no affiliation with any brands, but a case of Remington UMC LM9MM9 147 Grain was available at my local shop -works like "buttah", every time. Also found that Federal's American Eagle AE9FP 147 FMJ works just as well.

Now to try out the personal defense Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points this week @ the range to see if they feed well. If not, any1 have any personal defense ammo suggestions for our CM9s??

Night all!
-PoppaMike •-{)>>>

slowpoke
07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Flat-nose, 147 grain, brass or fmj case should help if you're having nose-down or loading issues.

I've found that, at least in my CM9, the rounded-nose cartridges often nose-down after the 1st chambered round is fired. I switched to flat-nosed & VOILÀ, no issues.

If you're not sure, make a spreadsheet & try out different ammo, noting brand, grain, case & write down any issues or no issues. I did just this for over 1,000 rounds now & learned the above.

I have no affiliation with any brands, but a case of Remington UMC LM9MM9 147 Grain was available at my local shop -works like "buttah", every time. Also found that Federal's American Eagle AE9FP 147 FMJ works just as well.

Now to try out the personal defense Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points this week @ the range to see if they feed well. If not, any1 have any personal defense ammo suggestions for our CM9s??

Night all!
-PoppaMike •-{)>>>

I'm useing 124 Fed AE for plinkers and 124 Fed Hydra-Shock for SD.
No failures of any kind.

jocko
07-12-2011, 06:01 AM
I was excited to get my CM9 this past weekend and took it to the range today to put the recommended 200 rounds through it. The slide failed to lock back at the end of 7 out the first 10 magazines. After that it locked back through the remainder of the 30 some magazines. I also had 6 FTF's using cheap target ammo.

Is this typical for a brand new Kahr? The slide issue seemed to be resolved by the end of my trip and the FTF's I am chalking up to the ammo. Any thoughts?

Thanks

by chance visit the kahr tech secrtion and hit on two good stickys?

Kahr lube cvhart

Propper prepping of ur new kahr. If u just took iut out of the box, more than likely those two stickys would have helped alot..

jocko
07-12-2011, 06:03 AM
flat nose, round nose,m kahrs should shoot anything that goes into the pipe. .

I personally don't like flat nose ammo, to me there is just no way it is going to feed better than a good rouond nose bullet, YMMV...

franco45
08-14-2011, 08:52 PM
I was lucky that I found the new gun prep sticky on my first visit to this forum. I had just bought my CW9 and followed the directions to a T. I followed the directions again on both my CW45 and my CM9. All three have been a joy to shoot from day one.

Allen
08-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Always glad to read about the best ammunition for defense to use in the CM9's. I'm considering purchasing one and I know I'll be carrying it for a while before getting a chance to get to a range. Currently I'm carrying a Beretta Mod 85 single stack magazine, which has never failed in any way right out of the box, but it is heavy and hard to conceal.

bluerooster
08-15-2011, 07:53 AM
I have gotten 200+ of white box through mine and plan to shoot another 100 through tomorrow. NO problems. So much more reliable trigger than the LC9. When I went to trade my LC9 in, the gunshop guy told me that every one of them they have sold, has come back to them. I put the houge jr grip on it and it feels great. Maybe a little trimming is needed but overall the Kahr CM9 is a great little gun. My 12 year old even enjoyed shooting it, but he liked the S&W Model 60 .357 (rental) better. I guess thats whats next for us.

yqtszhj
08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
That's really good to hear about your CM9. Mine has been great too at 300+ rounds. I ordered the Hogue jr grip and it should arrive today. I'll try to go to the range tomorrow and try it out with the new grip.

I looked at the LC9 when it was announced but the size difference between that and my previous CW9 was minimal. Then I heard about the CM9 announcement and decided to hold out for it. I'm glad I did.