PDA

View Full Version : cm9 trijicon sight

bonjorno2
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Just checked kahr's shop online and they are now selling the sights seperate now, where the other day you would only get them as a set.... 30 bucks and less than 7 for shipping! I am stoked! I read something about a screw, is this anything like the one glocks use or is it staked like dawsons?

http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Kahr-CWCM-Front-Trijicon-Night-Sight.asp

TucsonMTB
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Just checked kahr's shop online and they are now selling the sights seperate now, where the other day you would only get them as a set.... 30 bucks and less than 7 for shipping! I am stoked! I read something about a screw, is this anything like the one glocks use or is it staked like dawsons?
You might want to check out Greg's post here where he describes installing front sights (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=54961&highlight=Front+sight+installation#post54961). He even has pictures so you can see what you are getting into. :)

bonjorno2
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
that's perfect, thanks for pointing this out to me!

mgbarre
07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I was wanting just the front but didnt want to spend over 50 bucks.

bonjorno2
07-14-2011, 05:38 AM
yeah less than 40 shipped in the states for something anyone can install.... can't beat it because I know trijicon will re lamp the sights down the road.

BEARDOG
07-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice find Bonjorno! I wonder what's up with them being marked 09' though??? Is this just a sale of old stock???

bonjorno2
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
I am not sure, I wouldn't Doubt it but u still have plenty of life left imo 9 to 12 years. I prefer trijicons or tfo's over all sights so my search ended last night after buying this. Ill pick up a rear sight one day but no rush.

BEARDOG
07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
That's true, what is the cost of re-lamping? It's a good price as I need 2 front night sights, one for the CW and CM so for $67 bucks I get 2 guns night sighted! I may have to give them a shot myself. I was going to order the Dawson fronts but this will save like over $30! I Have to think about what else to add to the order to max the shipping cost for back-up parts I am thinking recoil springs for both and ???

Papa13
07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info, just ordered a trijicons front sight for my CM9 from Kahr. Order this morning, and got an email that its on its way, so will try to wait patiently!!

bonjorno2
07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
glad to hear it!

les strat
07-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Ordered mine just now. It was the only thing left that I wanted to do to my CM9. May get the back ones one day.

bonjorno2
07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Mine just got here today.... not bad it only took a couple of days!

dh2683
07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
It was the only thing left that I wanted to do to my CM9. May get the back ones one day.

Glad you brought this up. Do you really need to do the rears also. I was thinking in a self defense situation the front would be enough.

What do you all think?

bonjorno2
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes focus on your front sight, you might just point shoot anyways without any sights. I recommend you do this at 3-7 feet without your sights with any sd gun.

jocko
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
the fronbt sight is ur friend, remember that!!

u cannot see the front sight, back sight and target all clearly, ur eyes will not allow that. See the . front sight and the backsight will fall in place. The target will be in ur focus field. POA shooting IMO in a defense gun is fast and very accurate if u work at it any at all..:behindsofa:

BEARDOG
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
My sights arrived today also, and both were installed ASAP, with no problems. Those stock plastic front sights sure don't put up much of a fight before they snap off:eek:! I feel much better now with the steel N.S. in place. I think my CW9 and CM9 are both done being accessorized now. Both are now wearing Trijicon front night sights, CTC lasers, and Traction grips. They are Just perfect little carry guns now. IMO.:D

Papa13
07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Well I blew it!! Ordered the front Trijicon sight on the 14th, got it today, was putting it on, and somehow??, I have lost one of the screws, The Good Lord only knows where it went, had it all arranged so nothing would be lost, but I did, I have no ideal what size, etc, have the other one already installed, afraid to take it out, so guess I will call Kahr tomorrow. :32::32::32: Lesson learned the hard way!!

bonjorno2
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
i might be missing something but i am 99% sure they only come with one

bonjorno2
07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
My sights arrived today also, and both were installed ASAP, with no problems. Those stock plastic front sights sure don't put up much of a fight before they snap off:eek:! I feel much better now with the steel N.S. in place. I think my CW9 and CM9 are both done being accessorized now. Both are now wearing Trijicon front night sights, CTC lasers, and Traction grips. They are Just perfect little carry guns now. IMO.:D

awesome, if you take any pics please post them up here for us to look at!

BEARDOG
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Well I blew it!! Ordered the front Trijicon sight on the 14th, got it today, was putting it on, and somehow??, I have lost one of the screws, The Good Lord only knows where it went, had it all arranged so nothing would be lost, but I did, I have no ideal what size, etc, have the other one already installed, afraid to take it out, so guess I will call Kahr tomorrow. :32::32::32: Lesson learned the hard way!!

Papa,
Relax they only have 1 screw.
It goes in the rear threaded post hole. The front post is not threaded. It would be very difficult to try to get a screwdriver into the front hole the way the slide is made so only the rear hole gets a screw and loctite. I used the loctite on the other post/hole and under the sight too.
You should be good to go! :)

Bonjorno, I will try to get some family photo's taken and post them up later.

Edit; here is a quick night shot of the CW and CM beside the G26 with big dots.(Not the best photo, I just got this new laptop yesterday and don't have the photo software in it yet I like to use)

bonjorno2
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
nice, they all look bright

O'Dell
07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Not a pretty thought when you start considering that your night sights just might outlive you. :eek:

eklipto101
07-19-2011, 01:03 AM

Get you a magnet, it will find it for you

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Get you a magnet, it will find it for you
Uhm, it will have to be a very special magnet because their is only one screw supplied as part of the package. :D

In reality, nothing was lost. This is a good thing!

Papa13
07-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the info bonjorno2 and Beardog. After re-reading the instructions this morning, it only mentions "screw", nothing about screws, so after it sets for the 24 hours, I am good to go!! Thanks again!

bonjorno2
07-19-2011, 06:51 AM
no prob, and O'dell don't think about it that way!

les strat
07-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Glad you brought this up. Do you really need to do the rears also. I was thinking in a self defense situation the front would be enough.

What do you all think?

That's what I am thinking. I'll see how it lines up at night, but since I have my CT, I am not that concerened. I am replacing more for the metal sight than anything.

BEARDOG
07-19-2011, 09:26 AM
That's what I am thinking. I'll see how it lines up at night, but since I have my CT, I am not that concerened. I am replacing more for the metal sight than anything.

With the laser and steel front N.S. I think they are about as good as they can get for defensive use.
Les, When you do your install and break the front plastic sight off and see how easy they come off you will really be glad you put the steel N.S on. Those plastic front sights are the only down grade the CW/CM line has that bothers me a little. But $30 and a few mins work fixes that issue easily.

I think the front N.S only is going to work just fine for the distance and purpose these handguns are for, and in fact they may actually be faster and easier to use with both eyes open.

I played a little last night with the CW/CM by bringing it up in the dark to a shooting position, then flicked the lights on and it was very close to being perfectly aligned with the rear. You can also drop the front a little and bring it back up till you see the glowing dot, then you know it is aligned.

These are the first guns I have with both N.S. and lasers on. And I like the combo. :cool:

BEARDOG
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Some updated pics of my Kahrs :D

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/P1040768.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/P1040767.jpg
Night pic comparing N.S. CW-CM Trijicon fronts/G26+Big Dots
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/P1040752.jpg

gb6491
07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Some updated pics of my Kahrs :D

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/P1040768.jpg

NICE!:)
Any problems with the screw and the countersunk hole on the underside of the slide? It'd be a good if Kahr has started doing that countersink deeper.
Regards,
Greg

BEARDOG
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
NICE!:)
Any problems with the screw and the countersunk hole on the underside of the slide? It'd be a good if Kahr has started doing that countersink deeper.
Regards,
Greg

Nope, happy to say both where fine and plenty deep. I did dry fit them first though, reassembling and function checking BEFORE using the Loctite just to make sure, after seeing your experience. ;)

gb6491
07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Nope, happy to say both where fine and plenty deep. I did dry fit them first though, reassembling and function checking BEFORE using the Loctite just to make sure, after seeing your experience. ;)
Outstanding! Thanks very much for the reply.:yo:
Regards,
Greg

biga1996
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
man...i wished i would of seen this on the night sights before i bought my dawson fiber optic sight but im very happy with my sights as i have a couple other guns with night sights but none with fiber optic till now and i figure i will still be able to pickup the sight because the object will have to be close for me.good find,makes me want to get one for reserve.
here my cm9....i polished it up and the mag,did all the break in for it to port to working slide....just only shot it about 30 times(no jams) on the fourth of july as i havent been able to hit range yet because of flooding issues.
sorry my pics arent the best but this in my cm9 i will be carrying soon as i hit the range for about 150 rounds.

thanks,jay

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/biga1996/DSC_0942.jpghttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/biga1996/DSC_0940.jpg

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
. . . my cm9....i polished it up
Yes you did! You and JFootin might want to schedule a signal mirror contest during an upcoming range visit! :D

biga1996
07-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes you did! You and JFootin might want to schedule a signal mirror contest during an upcoming range visit! :D

lol...maybe.i have a springfield bi tone tactical 45 that was just like my cm9...so i wanted to polish it up so it would look it little different.:D

les strat
07-19-2011, 08:02 PM
With the laser and steel front N.S. I think they are about as good as they can get for defensive use.
Les, When you do your install and break the front plastic sight off and see how easy they come off you will really be glad you put the steel N.S on. Those plastic front sights are the only down grade the CW/CM line has that bothers me a little. But $30 and a few mins work fixes that issue easily.

I think the front N.S only is going to work just fine for the distance and purpose these handguns are for, and in fact they may actually be faster and easier to use with both eyes open.

I played a little last night with the CW/CM by bringing it up in the dark to a shooting position, then flicked the lights on and it was very close to being perfectly aligned with the rear. You can also drop the front a little and bring it back up till you see the glowing dot, then you know it is aligned.

These are the first guns I have with both N.S. and lasers on. And I like the combo. :cool:

Me too! Can't wait to get it and install it. Maybe I'll do better than the other night when I was installing an anchor trolley on my kayak. I was bearing down with all I had on some pliars crimping some hog rings and the pliars slipped off the rings onto my left thumb, which took all the force of the pliars, and got severely chewed up. You don't realize how great opposable thumbs are till you ain't got em :D

Anyway, I really think the CM9/PM9's could be the perfect CC gun.... for me anyway. With the size, caliber, CT, and night sights, it will be hard to beat.

TucsonMTB
07-19-2011, 10:48 PM
. . . the pliars slipped off the rings onto my left thumb, which took all the force of the pliars, and got severely chewed up. You don't realize how great opposable thumbs are till you ain't got em :D
Ouch! I guess you are not a "man of steel" after all. Sorry, couldn't pass up the chance for a cheap shot. :o

les strat
07-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Ouch! I guess you are not a "man of steel" after all. Sorry, couldn't pass up the chance for a cheap shot. :o

Definitely not!!! The next day, I ended up with a treble hook from a lure in the other thumb. Guess I'm all thumbs :p

Tinman507
07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks to the excellent advice from all the experts here I just got finished installing a new Trijicon front sight on my CM9. It went flawlessly. Dry fit to be sure countersink was deep enough and within 15 minutes was wrapping things up. Thanks gentlemen!!

What is a little disconcerting is how easy the old sight snapped off. I expected to work it a little but I grabbed and snapped and that was it. Makes me worry a bit about holsters and things.

les strat
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks to the excellent advice from all the experts here I just got finished installing a new Trijicon front sight on my CM9. It went flawlessly. Dry fit to be sure countersink was deep enough and within 15 minutes was wrapping things up. Thanks gentlemen!!

What is a little disconcerting is how easy the old sight snapped off. I expected to work it a little but I grabbed and snapped and that was it. Makes me worry a bit about holsters and things.

I just installed mine, and you are right. The stock ones are barely there.

Question: When you hold yours up to the light, is there a small space between the bottom of the sight and the slide? I have the screw on mine cranked about as tight as it's going to go. I cleaned the holes too. just wondering.

bonjorno2
07-23-2011, 06:38 PM
No space at all.... somethings not right

les strat
07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I removed it as the locktite wasn't yet dry, and everything is clean. It fits in perfectly. There is just enough space that I can see an even sliver of light between the sight and slide. The screw went in fine and it is cranked down about as tight as you'd ever want to put on the screw. I can only see the space when holding it up to a bright light.

bonjorno2
07-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I held mine up to the light and didn't see any light.... I am sure yours is on secure, but I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue as you are with the sight... I'll take a picture or two and post them up so you can see!

BEARDOG
07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I removed it as the locktite wasn't yet dry, and everything is clean. It fits in perfectly. There is just enough space that I can see an even sliver of light between the sight and slide. The screw went in fine and it is cranked down about as tight as you'd ever want to put on the screw. I can only see the space when holding it up to a bright light.

Les, Clean it all up again, then try to press on the top of the sight hard. Take a paper towel or something folded up and with the slide sitting firmly on the bench give it a steady but firm press down with your thumb. It should fit flush after you do that.

When you go to put it on with the loctite the second time it will go on easier but still give it a good push down then tighten the screw.

gb6491
07-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I had this happen when installing the Trijicon sight on my CW9. What I found was that the sight posts did not meet the bottom of the sight at a sharp 90 degree angle rather they flared into the base. This flare increases the post diameter enough that the posts do not fit all the way into the holes in the slide leaving the tiny gap. If the gap is small enough red Loctite will fill it just fine. You can reduce the gap by filing the posts to eliminate the flare or (as I did) lightly countersink the holes on top of the slide. It might also be necessary to remove a slight amount from the open end of the threaded post so the screw can pull the sight down tighter on the slide.
http://i53.tinypic.com/1zl9cgj.jpg
I did not have this problem with the sight that I put on my CW45.
Regards,
Greg

Tinman507
07-24-2011, 04:06 AM
When I installed mine, set it in the holes, put the screw in and gave the sight one final push and it made an audible snap setting it dead flush on the receiver. Got another 1/8th turn on the screw.

les strat
07-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I am affraid I'll mess with it so much, the posts will break or I'll strip the screw or screw head. Any harm in leaving it as is?????

BEARDOG
07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I am affraid I'll mess with it so much, the posts will break or I'll strip the screw or screw head. Any harm in leaving it as is?????

If you don't want to take it off again. I would put some of the supplied loctite under the sight. Squirt some under both sides then clean up the extra with a Q-tip, After it dries it will fill in the gap and add support. It will be fine.

TucsonMTB
07-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Nope! It should be fine. There is a small gap under the blade of the front sight on both my PM40's. Since the PM series sights are dove-tailed into the slide the clearance is needed for installation. I'm sure your clearance is no greater.

To quote Jocko, "Shoot it like you stole it . . . and enjoy!"

les strat
07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
If you don't want to take it off again. I would put some of the supplied loctite under the sight. Squirt some under both sides then clean up the extra with a Q-tip, After it dries it will fill in the gap and add support. It will be fine.

Worked like a charm!!!

gb6491
07-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I am affraid I'll mess with it so much, the posts will break or I'll strip the screw or screw head. Any harm in leaving it as is?????As long as it's a very minimal gap and the sight doesn't wiggle/move, I doubt any harm will come from it. Even then it's a stronger option than the stock sight. I'd get some red Loctite under the sight base for good measure.
Regards,
Greg

Edit: Oops, I see you got good advice and the matter resolved while I was typing this up. :)

les strat
07-24-2011, 04:27 PM
As long as it's a very minimal gap and the sight doesn't wiggle/move, I doubt any harm will come from it. Even then it's a stronger option than the stock sight. I'd get some red Loctite under the sight base for good measure.
Regards,
Greg

Edit: Oops, I see you got good advice and the matter resolved while I was typing this up. :)

Nah, it wasn't loose at all... more of a cosmetic thing for me. Looks good now. :)

Cornhusker
07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I was just lookiing for the Trijicon Front Sights for my CW9 and CM9 and don't see them on their website. I assume that means they're out of stock?

Edit: Found them!

bonjorno2
07-24-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Kahr-CWCM-Front-Trijicon-Night-Sight.asp

cornhusker, just in case anyone else is looking they will find them a tad easier. glad you found them on page 2

94zcar
07-24-2011, 08:58 PM
That's a deal! Just ordered one for my CM9:)

Cornhusker
07-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Wow, mine are on the way already. Got an email this AM. Quick service.

aray
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I think my CW9 and CM9 are both done being accessorized now. Both are now wearing Trijicon front night sights, CTC lasers, and Traction grips.

Beardog, how are you putting the CTC lasers and the Traction grips on at the same time? Doesn't the Traction grips overlap the activation switch on the CTC laser? Did you punch a hole where the switch is and stretch the grip over the remainder, cut out a notch, or something else?

Thanks.