PDA

View Full Version : A post that has nothing to do with guns: Cigars

DBP9
07-17-2011, 06:39 PM
This has nothing to do w/Kahrs or any other guns, but I'm guessing there's a few people out there that can provide some good advice. I am a very casual cigar smoker, and am thinking about getting a humidor. I have my eye on one that holds 100 cigars(http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/260). I'm looking at this one because the price seems great, craftsmanship looks good, and it's made and sold locally here in Miami. I honestly doubt I will have 100 cigars in my posession any time soon, but it seems that the smaller ones cost the same ammount or more. Is there any problems caused by having a larger humidor than I currently need? I will probably have between 10-20 cigars on hand. If it's not going to make me more prone to mold or other issues, I would rather have room for growth, than have to buy something bigger if my cigar hobby grows. If the cigar thing evolves like my shooting has, I am sure I will eventually have it much closer to full.
Also, do you guys keep you cigars in the cellophane wrapper in your humidor?
I am finding myself enjoying cigars on the mild end of the spectrum such as the Macanudo Hyde Park Cafe. If you have any suggestions for others I would love to try some new ones!

Scimmia
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Cuban Crafters has a very good reputation in the cigar community, so that's a good choice. The only problem with getting a larger humi than necessary is that it makes it harder to control humidity swings. With a fuller humi you have a much larger buffer capacity and much less air space that you have to control. You can offset that by getting some empty wooden cigar boxes from your local tobacconist and putting them in the humi. If the humi is too small to put them in as is, you can break them up and just use the wood to take up space and buffer the humidity.

The question of cellophane on or off is one that's been debated constantly on the cigar boards, with no conclusion. Do which ever you you want.

The other thing to think about is what you want to use for humidity control. The standard foam humidifiers with PG solution is a poor way to go. There are a number of online suppliers that sell silica gel beads that work much better.

Another thing, being in Miami, resist the temptation to pick up all those "cuban" cigars that a cousin of a friend smuggled out of Cuba. They're ALL counterfeits. If you become active in the cigar community, you'll find ways of getting ahold of authentic ones.

wayneo1
07-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree with Scimmia, aging the cigar was always the fun part of the hobby for me.

mr surveyor
07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
most humidors I've seen will get the job done...small ones for 40-50 sticks can be had for anywhere from $30-40 and larger ones for 100 sticks around $50-70. You can spend more, but they may not function any better. Mine has the old analog (dial) hygrometer, but had it not been a gift from my favorite gun shop owner I would have opted for the digital display (but then again..more batteries to keep up with). As for the cellophane on or off.... I've tried both ways. If the cigars have been properly handled by the supplier (and not dried out in shipment), I get them into the humidor ASAP, and make sure the humidity stays around 70-72% and leave them in the wrappers (especially for long term storage. If they are already a bit dry, I'll shuck the wrapper and add a damp paper towel into the bottom of the box (away from the cigars) in addition to the humidifier box to temporarily boost the humidity to try and bring the dry ones back.

I used to order from Thompson, but really got tired of their sales tactics. There's a shop about 20 minutes from me that carries a nice selection, although most of what I would love to stock up on are out of my daily price range. They do have a decent selection of lower cost cigars, my current being Casa de Garcia with Maduro wrapper in the Churchill style. Not top shelf, but at a buck-thirty each I can afford one a day. About 90% of mine are nonsmoked pacifiers that last all day (with occassional trimming of the nasty end), but I do light 'em up occassionally or on weekends.

I also occassionally partake of Macanudo, CAO, Oliveros and others in the "mid priced" range, especially if I want a really good "smoke".

I have noticed that cigars all have their own character...some blend well with certain ales, some with bourbon, some with tequila.

surv

Captain_Cupcake
07-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I would also not hesitate to recommend that humidor. Great advice in this thread. I personally do not store my cigars in the cellophane unless I am gifting them to someone (what they do with the cellophane is up to them). I would always say to get a larger humidor than what you think you will need because the more you smoke, the more you will find that the humidor that you thought was "too large" is now very cramped!

mr surveyor
07-18-2011, 07:20 AM
to add to the humidor questions.... do you guys that like the artificially flavored cigars (vanilla, fruit, etc) store them in the same humidor with your unflavored cigars? I don't really care for them (flavored), but I know my brother in law does. We usually trade cigars at Christmas, and no matter what he brings it seems to have a hint of vanilla.

DBP9
07-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks everybody for your input and suggestions!

jimbar
07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Ahh, man, do I miss a good stogie, sittin' out on my deck with a good glass of wine, or beer.
My favorites were :
Partagas no1. Maduro
Macanudo Maduro Baron De Rothschild
Montecristo Classic Churchill

I always wanted to move up to , maybe Arturo Fuentes, or Ashton, but they were a little too pricey. Once, on a trip to Canada, and once while my wife and I were on a cruise,(30 yr anniv), I bought actual Cubans,(at least I hope they were), I know they were great tasting. Paid $15 for one of them.This was in 1997.
Alas, after a heart-attack, the Dr said, ya gotta give 'em up. Sad day for me. Still can remember the taste of a quality smoke, though.

Captain_Cupcake
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
to add to the humidor questions.... do you guys that like the artificially flavored cigars (vanilla, fruit, etc) store them in the same humidor with your unflavored cigars? I don't really care for them (flavored), but I know my brother in law does. We usually trade cigars at Christmas, and no matter what he brings it seems to have a hint of vanilla.

As long as it is something that is actually handmade (such as an Acid) I would store them at the same humidity. Some people elect to store these in a different humidor or with some cedar separating them from other cigars as sometimes the flavors can meld onto a non-flavored cigar through prolonged contact.

mr surveyor
07-20-2011, 06:11 PM
As long as it is something that is actually handmade (such as an Acid) I would store them at the same humidity. Some people elect to store these in a different humidor or with some cedar separating them from other cigars as sometimes the flavors can meld onto a non-flavored cigar through prolonged contact.

yeah, I guess there could be some advantage to flavor melding, which is very possible with unwrapped cigars in the humidor, if you like to experiment with flavoring. I remember a case about thirty years ago my wife had bagged up Halloween treats in sandwich bags....the main ingredients being a couple of mini sized Snicker bars and a package of Spearment chewing gum. After about a month, the leftovers were tapped into, and I'd swear that was the best tasting Snicker bars I ever ate. Flavor melding can have it's place;)

surv