PDA

View Full Version : So, it's going pretty slow

melissa5
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I finally got my Auto disk pro to spit out the right amount of powder tonight. Yaaa for me! Now I need to get my bullet seated to the correct depth. My first try was way too deep. Now I know why I need a bullet puller. :rolleyes: My next try was better, but still a little out of spec. Guess I'll mess with it a little more tomorrow after work. :) You guys were right. I am enjoying the process of reloading.

garyb
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
You just got yourself into a new hobby. Good for you. Attention to detail.

Too deep on the bullet seating is not good, as I've read that it causes excessive pressure. You are probably aware of that by now anyway. I usually discard the trials if they are too far out of spec and don't waste my time pulling pistol rounds. But that's me.

I suggest you only load a dozen or so and give them a try, in case you want to alter your load a little + or -. Once you feel good about a load, then have at them. A chrony is helpful to get them dialed in or compare them to another factory load.

Pretty soon you'll be cranking em out, shooting em up and shopping for good deals on components to do it some more. Lots of fun and good luck with it.

wyntrout
07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Discard! :eek: It'll still go boom!

Wynn:D

wyntrout
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
You can get your dies in the ballpark by setting them up with a factory FMJ round. You can always seat the bullet deeper, then work on the crimp. One of those inertial bullet pullers really works, too. But it's a good idea to use a good model for setting things up. A factory FMJ or JHP, if that's the goal, is a good starting place.

I was never trying to design a new load, so I used book loads from a good reloading book. It's like a good recipe with proven safe loads. When you use used brass, you're introducing a few variables that vary as the shells are used and a bit from one manufacturer to another.

When working with maximum loads, start several tenths of a grain low... maybe a half and work up to the goal. Make small batches and test fire them, checking for any problems with bulges or cracks in the cases or primers.

I did that with some real .357 magnum loads, and with my 6mm Remington rifle ammo.

Wynn:)

OldLincoln
07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Still a novice but that's how I started. I split the difference between starting and max load and still use that for range loads. I used my factory ammo for OAL. Heck if it shootsd okay, why wouldn't my reloads?

94zcar
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I just set up a new set of dies today for .357 magnum....had the same problem. The first bullet I set almost flush with the top of the brass!

The dies seem to come from Lee with the seating adjustment turned way down. That one will get tossed, i'm not even gonna try to use the bullet puller on it.

I would recomend getting a chrony also, but if you keep your loads toward the middle you will be ok.

melissa5
07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I decided to start with 5.7 grains of Unique. The max is 6.6.

wyntrout
07-18-2011, 12:10 PM
To repeat... start with a factory FMJ for O.A.L... UNFIRED, of course, to gently test the settings of your new dies. Don't try to force the press down, but adjust until the press closes without forcing the bullet into the case. You will be in the ball park and can make minute adjustments until you get the seating depth appropriate to your load.

Check your new dies to see that they are adjusted to minimally seat a bullet, not push it out of sight!

OldLincoln
07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't what your die setup reads, but I discovered the hard way that my bullet die sets up differently than the others. The first two screw in until the die meets the shell holder. The bullet seater uses that as a starting point then unscrews a bunch.

94zcar
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
The Lee dies crimp and set the bullet, so you screw the die in till it touches the shell holder, then tighten the locking nut, then there is a knurled knob on top that you adjust up and down depending on how deep you want the bullet seated. Depending on how much crimp you want you can loosen the lock nut and raise the entire die up for less crimp or if you have a 4 hole with factory crimp die you can back out the bullet seater die so it does not crimp while seating the bullet.

melissa5
07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't what your die setup reads, but I discovered the hard way that my bullet die sets up differently than the others. The first two screw in until the die meets the shell holder. The bullet seater uses that as a starting point then unscrews a bunch.

Yeah, that sounds like mine too. I'm supposed to screw it in until it touches the shell holder, then back it out 3 turns. Then there's another adjustment knob on top. That's what I need to adjust.

OK, using a factory FMJ as a guide, I've gotten bullet seating set correctly. OAL matches the factory round.

Now, how much do I want to crimp with the factory crimp die?

Scimmia
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Very little. Automatic pistol rounds like this need to have the bell removed, but that's it. These rounds headspace on the case mouth, so if you crimp too much, it won't hold the round where it's supposed to be in the chamber. If you don't crimp enough, you could have feeding problems. All you want is enough to straighten the case.

Bawanna
07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
The factory crimp die wont let you over crimp. Dont the instructions say to seat the die and then turn the adjustment half a turn or a full turn. I can't remember .

I found internet over here. So far it's slower than the fishing and drives me nuts but I'll try a different spot tomorrow in the daylight. Hoping to check in, showed over 500 post since I left.

Marginal weather but I'm still fried already.

Glad your getting loaded Melissa, I know I am daily.

wyntrout
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
The crimp is real important for autos and revolvers. Smacking the feed ramp can cause feed problems in a hurry... and the bullets can walk out during shooting in revolvers and jam the cylinder... not a good thing in a life-or-death situation:eek:... or not much fun any time!

Test those loads thoroughly before trusting them. I wouldn't hunt big game or use any reloads for self-defense, but that's just me.

I never had much fun fishing... too slow, but I did enjoy shooting stuff like carp from a railroad trestle with my .22 semi-auto Marlin Glenfield when I was young... 16-ish.

melissa5
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Glad your getting loaded Melissa, I know I am daily.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/drunk-driving-problem.jpg

melissa5
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Test those loads thoroughly before trusting them. I wouldn't hunt big game or use any reloads for self-defense, but that's just me.

I never had much fun fishing... too slow, but I did enjoy shooting stuff like carp from a railroad trestle with my .22 semi-auto Marlin Glenfield when I was young... 16-ish.

These will only be used for the range.

Shooting the fish sounds like more fun! :)

Bawanna
07-19-2011, 08:10 PM
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/drunk-driving-problem.jpg

I generally don't partake too much of the devils kool aid but it is vacation and I do feel the need to raise my petty coats and let my hair down. Only thing I got to run into is other boats and anything in the path of the wheel chair which seems to be happening more and more. Guess I'm just careless anymore.

melissa5
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
I loaded 50 rounds tonight and managed to get two bullets stuck in my seating die. Took the die out and knocked the bullets out with a hammer and a screwdriver. The only thing I could guess was that the cases weren't belled enough. I was so paranoid that I weighed every charge. Maybe I just need to get a set of dippers.

slowpoke
07-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I loaded 50 rounds tonight and managed to get two bullets stuck in my seating die. Took the die out and knocked the bullets out with a hammer and a screwdriver. The only thing I could guess was that the cases weren't belled enough.
I was so paranoid that I weighed every charge. Maybe I just need to get a set of dippers.
Nothing wrong with being paranoid when it comes to reloading. Paranoia may save you from disaster.

I used to make my own dippers from cases with spent primers in them by soldering on a handle and then filing them down to suit the load I wanted it for.

94zcar
07-20-2011, 11:23 PM
That is odd the bullets getting stuck...let us know what caused that when you figure it out.

I am using the Lee Pro autodisk, it is very consistant with ball or flattened ball powder, I drop 10 charges and weigh them to get a average when I am setting up.

I have had problems with flake powders like red dot, but only when loading for .380 with a small charge ...smaller disk holes.

So I just stick with powders that are smaller.

But it is good you are being careful, you will get comfortable and gain trust in your equipment after a while.