PDA

View Full Version : GA vs GC MK9 pics

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I have two MK9s. One is a GA series the other, a GC. The first thing I will note is that the GC build has a much better trigger. The trigger is crisp and stops well before the GA build. I assume it is an Elite trigger since the gun was built in 2004. The second build difference I notice is that the slide stop rotates on the GC while it is solid on the GA. Not sure if this matters but I can tell a difference when dropping the slide stop. What this means is that functionally the GC "feels" a little bit better.

As for the build quality itself there is a big gap. The GA has much cleaner machining, no machine marks or weld tags. The edges are smooth internally and externally. The GC, on the other hand, has machine marks throughout the frame and slide internals. The area to the rear of the weld where the mag well meets the upper frame is smooth on the GA but very unfinished looking on the GC.

The top picture shows the trigger bar on the GC. You can see that the bar itself rides in a valley that's cut out for it on the right side. The GA on the bottom has no such valley.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Kahr/IMG-20110720-00002.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Kahr/IMG-20110720-00003.jpg

This shot shows both frames. The GC is on top/ GA on bottom. I can't really see much difference and all three sets of grips (wood and plastic) interchange just fine between them.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Kahr/IMG-20110720-00004.jpg

From the ouutside you can see a few differences as well.

First, you can see that the grip fit on the GA is much nicer. If you look at the upper-rear area of the grip you will see a lot more metal sticking out on the newer GC. Also, the 6-round magazine sticks out a good bit further on the newer GC.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Kahr/IMG-20110720-00013.jpg

While I like the trigger on the GC, I gotta say the GA is built better in my opinion. Cleaner lines, smoother finish and machining.

jocko
07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
both have the elite triggers in them, just one gun is smoother all the way around than the other. looks like the rigger bar maching change was probably a cost cutting thing as IMO neither was better than the other. two nice kahrs no doubt, as some would say six of one, one half dozen of the other.

nice photos.

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Now I gotta figure out which one to keep.... :)

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Any reason why the slides and barrels wouldn't be 100% interchangeable in these two guns? Any differences between 1998 and 2004 builds to look for?

jocko
07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
y bet is they would be interchange, u could try that very easily urself..

Bawanna
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Very strange. I don't see why the grips wouldn't fit both but grips I've made for the GA do not fit the GC without using two different length screws and sometimes some wood removal.

I've been trying to figure out the difference so I can make grips for the newer GC's. I was excited to see you photos but I'm still perplexed. I just don't see the difference.

I'll go catch a few more fish and ponder this predicament.

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Very strange. I don't see why the grips wouldn't fit both but grips I've made for the GA do not fit the GC without using two different length screws and sometimes some wood removal.

I've been trying to figure out the difference so I can make grips for the newer GC's. I was excited to see you photos but I'm still perplexed. I just don't see the difference.

I'll go catch a few more fish and ponder this predicament.

I can take detailed pics of any area of the guns you need. Let me know. I can take measurements etc....

frank_drebin
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
y bet is they would be interchange, u could try that very easily urself..

Obviously I can check fit myself but I would hate to swap things around only to find that part XXX breaks if you try an "old style" slide with a "new style" gun. Know what I mean?