PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Fiber Optic Questions

mini
07-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Hello Kahr people!

This is my first post. :) I do not own a Kahr pistol (yet) but I've been looking at the CM9 with extreme interest. I've been learning and reading about concealed carry ever since I became old enough to legally do so, and have decided that it is something I should do. As soon as I can save up enough money, I'm going to buy me a CM9. And right after that I'm going to change out that plastic front sight.

To my question! I'd like to hear more information about the Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight from those of you who have experience with them. I know at least one or two forum members installed them on their CM9s. What I am really interested in is, what is the true performance of fiber optic in low light conditions?

I'm not looking to stir up any feathers with another war on fiber optic vs. tritium, but I wanted some more facts on the debate. To summarize what everyone already knows...
1. Fiber optic sights may be easier to pick up in bright daylight.
2. Tritium sights are visible in darkness. Fiber optic isn't.
3. Fiber optic rods are a bit fragile, and some worry they may break during carry or use.
4. Most encounters happen at night, in low light.

Look, I've read a lot of opinions. You can tell me night sights are the best option until you are blue in the face ;), but I want to make my own informed decision. :D I want to churn up some new info.

What do they look like in various daily places. Bright indoor light? Fluorescent light like a gas station? Under nighttime street lights? Outdoor rainy day?

Thank you for your input. (Great forum by the way.)

les strat
07-24-2011, 02:45 PM
From my experience on shotguns, fiber optics are as bright as the light that is available - the weaker the light, the dimmer they are. I know that seems obvious, but duck hunting right before dark will let you know how they work in dim light. IME, not very good. They are more of a shooting aid IMO. They are great, but are apples and oranges from night sights. They hold up well on shotguns, so I think they'd be fine holstered and can handle the recoil.

jocko
07-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I often wonder in a gun fight, just how many actually see ANY SIGHT at all??/

Been a waterfowl hunter for most of my young life , hunted with my Ithaca Model 37 for over 40 years with the Ray Bar front sight (sort of a pre fiber optic era sight), and for me anyways, it was not much different for me one way or the other. I see the front of the barrel like pointing my finger at a moving object. Instinctive..