PDA

View Full Version : In Harm’s Way

Barth
07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Reading threads yesterday I had an epiphany.
This board is filled with all types of people. From seasoned LE,
and retired military, to newbies. Some people buying their first handgun and getting a permit.
If you just finished your tour of duty with Seal Team 6?
You can move on to the next thread.
For the newbies I have some food for thought.

Disclaimer:
These are just my opinions.
I'm not interested in debate.
Please glean whatever value and discard the rest.

Concealed Carry:
With great power comes great responsibility.
Carrying a handgun for personal protection means application of lethal force.
Make a conscious decision that you're willing to take someone’s life.

Before it happens:
Have a lawyer picked out to represent you.
Do everything you can to stay away from potentially bad places, situations, people...
Walk away from all altercations - that you can.
Be on the lookout for potential danger at all times.
Someone prepared, aware and determined is less likely to be a target.
And ready to act quickly when targeted.

When it happens:
Only draw your weapon to shoot.
Only shoot to kill.
Continue firing until the bad guy goes down.
Don't continue firing after the bad goes down -
unless continuing to be a threat.

Whether or not you stand and fight is a gut decision.
But never let anyone transport you anywhere.
At that point fight to the death.
Remember most people shot - live.
And time is on your side.

After it happens:
Be very careful what you say. The best phrase is -
"I was in fear for my life and couldn't escape".
After you call 911 then call friends or family.
Let them know what's happening and possibly post bail.
If arrested you will lose access to your cell.

Closing thoughts:
Some people only practice at distance, slow fire, using the sights.
Self-defense is usually at close range, happens quickly, with no time for sight alignment.
Plus you get the added bonus of an adrenalin dump - tunnel vision and shaking hands.
Consider adding close range, double tap, center mass shooting with both eyes open.
Attempt to quickly gain target acquisition, with just the front sight and fire two rounds quickly.
This is often called point shooting while gaining a sight picture.

Classic saying:
It’s better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six.

J4Cub
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Very good words of advice Barth!

Ubaldo99
07-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Well written words of advice. Really puts a lot of perspective on the discussions that take place on any number of firearm forums. Definitely food for thought. Thanks.

earle8888
07-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Yep! great words of wisdom/Thought

Scimmia
07-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Only draw your weapon to shoot.
Only shoot to kill.

I have a problem with these two.

First, drawing your weapon doesn't automatically mean you're going to shoot. It's putting it in a position to be able to shoot if the threat continues. In most encounters, the drawing of the weapon is all it takes, and at that point you must NOT shoot.

Second, the shoot to kill mentality will get you into a lot of hot water afterwards. No you aren't shooting to injure or any crap like that, you're shooting to stop the threat, nothing more, nothing less. In a high stress situation, that means firing at center mass until the threat is ended. If you say the phrase shoot to kill to the cops afterwards, you might as well reserve your cell, you'll be there a long time.

TheTman
07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the good info Barth. Scimma has a point though. Sometimes simply drawing on a person will be enough to change their mind, if you shoot a guy trying to get away, that is murder and you will be charged and most likely convicted and sent away. Some of the DA's will paint a picture of a choirboy just on the verge of changing his life around yada yada yada, and make you into the bad guy.
NEVER admit to shooting to kill, only say you shot to stop the threat. If it takes killing so be it, but never say that you intended to kill the bad guy or the DA and Press will have a field day.
The USCCA recommends calling 911 and saying:
I was afraid for my life and was forced to defend myself.
Try to get witnesses to stay, at least get a name and phone, or tag number of vehicle.
When cops get there:
Say: He attacked me.
I'll sign a complaint.
Point out any evidence they may have missed.
Say I wish to make no further statements until I have contacted my lawyer and composed myself.
Do not consent to any searches.

ltxi
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
This....is most comprehensive, coherent, and well thought out self defense advice I've ever read. A complete, 30 second CCW class...minus the live fire training. Hope it's not copyrighted 'cause I'm stealing it verbatim for future instructional use.

ltxi
07-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a problem with these two.

First, drawing your weapon doesn't automatically mean you're going to shoot. It's putting it in a position to be able to shoot if the threat continues. In most encounters, the drawing of the weapon is all it takes, and at that point you must NOT shoot.

Second, the shoot to kill mentality will get you into a lot of hot water afterwards. No you aren't shooting to injure or any crap like that, you're shooting to stop the threat, nothing more, nothing less. In a high stress situation, that means firing at center mass until the threat is ended. If you say the phrase shoot to kill to the cops afterwards, you might as well reserve your cell, you'll be there a long time.

I understand your points, but within the context of Barth's succinct advice, I sincerely disagree.

-- Never draw your weapon unless you are fully prepared and intend to use it as necessary....that was his point.

-- Never fire your weapon at any living thing with any mindset other than an "intent" to kill it. Any waffling from that will cause you to sub optimize and quite possibly do something stupid enough to get yourself or some innocent hurt.

Dietrich
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
If there is one thing that stands out about this forum,it`s the vast amount of good advice to be had here.You guys are great.

SkeletonSlinky
07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for posting this Barth and thanks to others who share their advice/input. I've been shooting for 40 years but just started carrying a few months ago. While I've read/heard much of this before, it's always good to have that "30-sec" refresher and the added discussion from the experienced crew to keep you thinking right!

Barth
07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the kind words.
You're all very welcome.
This really is a great place with lots of valuable info.
But most importantly really great people.
When I've had questions, or ran into problems,
you guys (and Glock Girl) always come through.

So thanks right back at you - LOL!