PDA

View Full Version : Range test of P45

RonC
07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I am pleased to say that I have only good news about my new, P45.

I shot about 50 rounds at the outdoor range to which I belong. There wasn't a single issue. The groups I shot hand held at 15 yards were not great, but guess who owns that responsibility. Yup, me. As I approach my mid-60s, my eyes struggle a bit with seeing both the front and rear sights clearly, and I do not hold the handgun as steadily as I once did. Still, I should groups that were 'minute of bad guy.'

A few groups off sand bags were much better, showing that the occasional large group was do to the operator behind the trigger, not the gun. Overall, I was very pleased.

My satisfaction was not surprising, as I have an MK9 that shoots much better than any small gun should shoot.

Have Fun, Shoot Safely,
Ron

wyntrout
07-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Congratulations! It's nice to have a good first shoot with your new pistol. The first outing with my PM45... MY dream gun... was certainly not smooth, but eventually things got to working smoothly. I love the .45 and there great pleasure in feeling it buck and boom... and poking holes in the targets.

I was 65 last month and I haven't shot from a rest in years... just offhand, and 15 yards gets to be a stretch for me most of the time, but I've been doing better... even with the PM45. I get a sight picture and then I point a lot, and too quickly... no long controlled breathing deals or trying for perfect aim. I get in a hurry... or get bored waiting for the boom!:D I'm comfortable with shooting that way, though, and think it will be more than adequate for self-defense.

Wynn:)

TheTman
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Glad your pistol is working well. I can relate to the "old eyes" syndrome.

OldLincoln
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
+1 on the eyes. After yesterday I'm thinking it's time for the cataract surgery. It's really sad when you shoot better from a ready position than sighted. For me it's not much fun and makes for a short range trip.

TheTman
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
That CT Laser really makes it nice on old eyes to shoot better. I know I should focus on the top edge of the front sight, but that little red dot is so much easier to see and let's me focus at one distance. I only have it on one gun, so I still get plenty of practice with sights only. But it's nice to have at least one target with a big hole where the 10 ring used to be. That is only at 7-10 yards, but it's still a good feeling.

RonC
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Up here in the Rocky Mountains, 63% of 63 year olds have at least beginning levels of cataracts. We are exposed to about 15-20% more UV light than at sea level due to altitude and less atmosphere to protect us.

So, I have that very issue - enough to change the shape of my lens, but not yet severe enough to be removed. Heck, if that is my only symptom of old age, then I will be happy. (Ignoring the fact the the knees hurt for 2 weeks after playing basketball with those 20 and 30 year olds. The one advantage of growing older: in my mind, the older I get, the better I was.:D)

Ron

freefire2
07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm 55 years old and have had corrected vision for most of my life. I wear contacts now and I'm doing what they call monovision. This is nothing new and it is where one contact is for distance and one contact is for close up. The brain eventually figures it out and uses the eye that is seeing the clearest. I love it because it means no more reading glasses. I decided on the monovision PRIMARILY because it helped my gun sight alignment tremendously. I chose my right eye as my close up eye which allows me to see the gun sights quite clearly and the target is somewhat fuzzy. I tried it the other way, i.e. fuzzy sights and clear target and it did not work nearly as well. I can be quite accurate at 35' on a 6" target; more than enough for self defense.

wyntrout
07-29-2011, 02:06 PM
That CT Laser really makes it nice on old eyes to shoot better. I know I should focus on the top edge of the front sight, but that little red dot is so much easier to see and let's me focus at one distance. I only have it on one gun, so I still get plenty of practice with sights only. But it's nice to have at least one target with a big hole where the 10 ring used to be. That is only at 7-10 yards, but it's still a good feeling.

With my K9, I quickly found that it was easier to use one or the other after evaluating the laser dot VS. the sights. Set correctly, the dot is where the bullet is going. Practice firing to hit the dot by good trigger pull, etc. That's the whole idea of the laser... that you don't have to bring the gun all the way up and line up sights. Just practice a smooth trigger pull so you don't jerk or twist the impact point away from the laser dot.

If you do it right, the bullet will hit the dot. I'm still working on that part, but I can hit the danged paper plate in a hurry without "aiming".

Wynn:)