PDA

View Full Version : First LEO Stop

Whaleman
08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Not real exciting but I just today had my first LEO stop while carrying. I saw the lights and pulled over. It was a female. By the time she got to the car I had my license and permit. She glanced at the permit and said, " You can keep this I don't need it". She never said another word about it. She then proceeded to tell me I had a burnt out stop light. She ran my license and she told me thanks and I should get the bulb replaced today which I did. Dan

Bawanna
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Thats the way it should be and I think the way it usually does. Good for her and good for you, happy ending, no fine.

Now get your light fixed! Final warning.

hotpig
08-02-2011, 12:48 PM
You got stopped by a female cop and all you want to talk about is permits and burned out bulbs?

The real question here is was she hot?

knkali
08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
You got stopped by a female cop and all you want to talk about is permits and burned out bulbs?

The real question here is was she hot?

you are killing me :D

and this from "hotpig" sorry LEO's couldnt help it.

hotpig
08-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Actually we all know the answer. There are not many hot female cops, firefighters or paramedics.

Bawanna
08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Actually we all know the answer. There are not many hot female cops, firefighters or paramedics.

Au Contraire weed hopper. I know of at least one Fish and Game officer that is drop dead gorgeous. Mostly she was nice to talk too. Carried a Glock 45 and a M14 rifle too. Took a class at our local penitentary a couple times, had to store her weapons in my armory for safe keeping. Cute beyond words she was.

We have one officer, detective here that is very pretty, whats the word I seek here, oh HOT.

I agree that the vast majority should probably stay close to the water so they don't dry out, (think Free Willy). But thankfully there are a few exceptions. Darn, got me thinking about angels again. I was trying to forget.

jocko
08-02-2011, 03:09 PM

is allthe hotties are riding Harley's. Just got back form Mountain Fest in W.VA . WQhat an event, and oh my the gals down there know hot to put on a style show..

LaP
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Au Contraire weed hopper. I know of at least one Fish and Game officer that is drop dead gorgeous. Mostly she was nice to talk too. Carried a Glock 45 and a M14 rifle too. Took a class at our local penitentary a couple times, had to store her weapons in my armory for safe keeping. Cute beyond words she was.

Wait a minute. You're saying she was Drop Dead Gorgeous and then prceed to tell us about her weapons!!!
I know this is a gun forum, but come on Bawanna, ya gotta give us more than that.
Details man, details.

Bawanna
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Wait a minute. You're saying she was Drop Dead Gorgeous and then prceed to tell us about her weapons!!!
I know this is a gun forum, but come on Bawanna, ya gotta give us more than that.
Details man, details.

Oh man, she had the weapons, that's for sure. She was so smokin hot I think she'd make Dietrich straight.
Had a super long hard to say last name, I know this because I tried very hard to focus on it embroidered directly above her a .........nice ......pockets.
Very pleasant in all respects. She even spoke my name, bawanna coming from the vocal cords of an angel.
I really gotta get back to work here.........................Angels............... ....

MW surveyor
08-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree that the vast majority should probably stay close to the water so they don't dry out, (think Free Willy).

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there. :biggrin1:

Dang, forgot to tell about my first stop carrying. Real non event and no ticket going 50 mph in a 40 zone at 0330 in the morning not more than 1 mile from the house. Just be safe getting to the house.:D

TheTman
08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
My last stop was by a female local. She was a 20 something cutie, not playboy material or anything, but had a nice form and a pleasant face. I'd probably flirted with her a little if I was 20 years younger. I handed over my license and permit and she asked if I was armed and where it was located. I told her I was and that while I was driving I put it was in my center console, so she asked me to refrain from getting into the console, and I said I'll just keep my hands on the steering wheel. When she asked for my proof of insurance, I told her it was in the glove box, and she watched while I got it out, then went back to her car, and wrote me out a ticket and handed everything back and told me she was sorry that the bridge was out on the road I usually take, but to please watch my speed, and told me to have a good day. It seems to me like they actually relax a little when they see my permit, and know I'm one of the good guys.

apdturbo
09-08-2011, 05:57 PM
maybe if all cops were super hot chicks there would be less hostility toward cops.

yqtszhj
09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I had a neighbor about 4 years ago. Her and her husband were cops. She was HOT petite blonde, real sweet voice, always jogged, the most kind person you could speak to.

One day she was out jogging and there was the neighborhood nusance kid (a big boy) going into her garage rambling around. She was him, yelled "HEY YOU, FREEZE!" It was a 100 yards and she was in his face in a second.

Man, she ran like a bolt of lightning to get this kid. I have never seen anyone run so fast. She gained a whole new level of respect from me that day. I never looked at her a just cute again.

OldLincoln
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, if I get stopped, the chances are good that he/she was in diapers when I got the last one. 30 years no stop and I'm more careful now than I have been. Don't find many reasons to hurry these days. I'm more afraid that it will be for something stupid, in line with my age.

QuercusMax
09-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Um, well, hot or not ... to get back to what I think the original subject of this thread was:

The last time I went through the required re-education for my carry permit (this was in Minnesota), the instructor spend some time talking about what to do if pulled over by the cops while you are carrying. This has never happened to me, so I am just relating the experience of others.

The instructor had discussed this with his fellow instructors, and even among themselves could not come to agreement on what they should do. (Minnesota does not require you to disclose.)

But when he was pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt one day while carrying, he immediately told the officer "Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I have a permit to carry and I have a loaded firearm in my console."

Apparently the officer had never dealt with this before and became quite perplexed - didn't know how to handle it.

But in the end, the office thanked the instructor for letting him know, told him that "you are not the type that I am worried about" and just gave him a warning. Upon talking about it with fellow instructors later, 8 of them all reported substantially similar events during such encounters.

I have only been pulled over once - by a local cop at a speed trap in Arizona that I have not forgiven - so hopefully will not have to figure this one out for myself, but I think the advice is good.

Any current or former LEO's out there who would care to comment?

southernjeepn06
09-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I've been pulled over without my weapon so can't comment on what I did but there are a few videos out there on what to do. From what I remember...tell the officer you have a loaded firearm and you are license to carry it. Some states you don't need a permit for vehicles in a closed compartment but still should let the LEO now. The video showed the cop asking the driver to grab the firearm with his weak hand and hand it to him. The LEO then placed it on top of the car until they were done with their business. He then handed the firearm back and left the vehicle.

I'm not a LEO but that seems like a logical thing for an officer to do to insure his/her safety. Then they don't have to worry in case the situation does change.

Chowser
09-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Here in Ohio, if you own the plate on the car, when we run it, it pops up that the owner has a CCW permit. (shame on the officer if he/she doesn't run the plate first before walking up). i've stopped a few people with permits. most were not carrying. the few that were, i just ask where it is and advise them don't do anything funny. i've never taken it from the person. too many things can go wrong when a gun is removed from a holster. it's safer to just leave it where it's at. i don't want to know what kind of gun you have or how fast you can get it out. i know i can get mine out real fast :)

jocko
09-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Indiana is not that way, a plate check brings up nadda about a permit. Which IMO is what it should be..

OldLincoln
09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm torn on the database thing Jocko. I look at every cop as if they were my son or daughter. While they're not actually mine, they are somebody's. My son was injured in academy and had to withdraw or it might be him making the stop. so I have an affinity for them in general - although I'd like to take a whip to a few.

Anyway, if it were my actual son making the stop, I'd want him to know if the person has a permit. If he knows the permit is there he can confirm the presence of a gun as a normal course of business. Conversely is there isn't a permit and he sees a gun he can go to red alert.

Bawanna
09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
The officer should be on red alert on every traffic stop regardless. No reason in the world that a permit or lack there of should give him or her a false sense of security.

I stick to the don't ask don't tell. I'm extremely polite and cooperate in every way. I don't mention my gun/guns. They are on me, not in a console or glove box or anything, so retrieving paperwork will be a non issue. If there's a chance the gun will be seen or I detect a concern on the officers part I will most definitely let them know I'm armed, have no ill intentions and have a CCW if you'd like to see it. Here it is considered faux paus to show your badge in an attempt to get out of a ticket. Kind of like name dropping. It sometimes works and sometimes makes you get the ticket even more.
But if a weapon question comes up then it's ok to flash the badge even for civilian office pukes like myself. Similar to a CCW permit. Even that should not let the officer completely drop his guard.

Traffic stops are scarey things and can turn ugly in a fraction of a second.

Everybody talks how tough SWAT is, they have all the cool protective gear, and have lots of information before they kick the door along with a plan and lots of guys to help. The officer standing at in the street risking getting struck by a passing motorist while possibly facing America's Most Wanted criminal, he's the guy/gal with the tough job.

Ressom
09-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Here in Ohio, if you are carrying the first thing out of your mouth should be I am a CC permit holder and I have a weapon on my person.

Search youtube for what happened in Canton a couple of months ago when the officer would not let the CCH permit holder speak.

TomMc
09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
That cop was suspended and fired and deserved it. However, the CHL holder must have been half an idiot not to speak up. At a minimum, I'd have been waving it in LEO's face. I think he should be fired too:).

Rainman48314
09-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Here in Ohio, if you own the plate on the car, when we run it, it pops up that the owner has a CCW permit. (shame on the officer if he/she doesn't run the plate first before walking up). i've stopped a few people with permits. most were not carrying. the few that were, i just ask where it is and advise them don't do anything funny. i've never taken it from the person. too many things can go wrong when a gun is removed from a holster. it's safer to just leave it where it's at. i don't want to know what kind of gun you have or how fast you can get it out. i know i can get mine out real fast :)This makes total sense to me. Asking a driver to get it out with his weak hand smells of trouble. How does the LEO know its really his weak hand?

bikerbill
10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
a few weeks ago my wife and I were heading for Branson MO from our home in Texas, driving a rented car with AZ plates ... got pulled over in Arkansas by a state cop ... following my CHL instructions, kept my hands on the wheel until he got to the passenger window, then gave him my license and CHL and told him there was a loaded weapon in the car ... he asked where it was (driver side door pocket), told me to leave it and asked me to get out of the car. Then ... he patted me down and asked if I had any other weapons ... told him I had a 3-inch folder clipped to my left front pocket, he said he didn't care about that ... had me sit in his car while he ran whatever on his computer, told me I had a clean record (ya, I know) and said he had pulled me over because my right front wheel had gone over the curbside white line!! well, ok, he gave me a warning, was very friendly, sent me on my way ... I'm 66, by the way, retired, not a likely profiling subject ... my wife and I spent the next half hour wondering why he really pulled us over; we decided he was bored and thought he's mess with some tourists ... he couldn't have thought I was drunk or high, since he never asked about that ... couldn't have thought I was a drug runner, since he never asked to search the car or trunk ... always wondered how a stop would go if I was armed, now I know ..

Oh yeah, he wasn't that cute ...

MikeyKahr
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah, he wasn't that cute ...

So say you bikerbill....or your wife? Men in uniform just do it for the gals....sometimes.:cheer2: Nice job on keeping it cool during the LEO stop.

jocko
10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
that cop was just looking for someone to pull over, so what over on the right side curb line, geez WTf, u can't prove him wrong \either. They can pull one over today for any damn thing they want. its profiling IMO.

Bawanna
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I enjoy profiling and I'm good at it. I can pick out a dirtbag at 300 yards.

I wish they would utilize my given talent and let me put it to good use but nooooooooo, we gotta go to classes telling us it just ain't proper.

You'll love this, they just added this a week ago to the dept ops orders. Specifically not profiling because someone is riding a motorcycle. It didn't say Harley or Honda, just any motorcycle. Sheeesh, rules, we don't need no stinking rules.

Scoundrel
10-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I suspect the more things they tell you to not profile about, the more those things catch your eye.

But that's just my cynical side coming out. Me who has almost never been issued a "warning", while my wife, who has been stopped multiple times, has never gotten a ticket, even when sassing the cop a little.

MikeyKahr
10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
That cop was suspended and fired and deserved it.

Just an fyi the officer in question in Canton has not been fired...yet. He's on administrative leave for the foreseeable future as he's suffering from ptsd. The local police union has worked to get his disciplinary hearing delayed until December if not until later so patrolman Harless has a chance to recover.

To read about the latest: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8008

Sent using Tapatalk

bonjorno2
10-06-2011, 06:45 AM
In Florida you don't have your concealed license linked to your plate... it's a different system and I feel it should stay that way. Like bawanna said you should be on high alert anyways through the stop. There is nothing routine these days anymore!

Markis82
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
In Florida you don't have your concealed license linked to your plate... it's a different system and I feel it should stay that way. Like bawanna said you should be on high alert anyways through the stop. There is nothing routine these days anymore!
Also in Florida, you are not required by law to tell the officer that you have a permit or that you're carrying. A cop friend of mine said, "If the cop is too stupid to ask if you have a weapon, then don't tell him/her." I don't go by that. I show my permit with my DL license and explain if and how I'm carrying, without using the word gun or firearm. I don't want to alert anyone. I say, "I'm carrying now. " or something like that. The couple of times I have been stopped, they have never asked for me to remove my gun. In fact as they see the permit they seem to relax and it turns from a stop to a chat. I have never received a ticket after showing my permit. One officer asked if he could check out my LCP. "This in not official but can I see your LCP?" I said, "Sure, I'm going to draw it now." I proceeded to draw and drop the mag and rack the slide to eject the loaded cartridge and handed the officer an unloaded weapon with the action locked open. I thought this would be the proper way to hand a gun to a police officer. BTW, he liked the LCP and checked it out by putting it around his ankle. This was before my CM9 days.

bonjorno2
10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
^^^ correct, but i'd still write the ticket

MikeyKahr
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
There is finally an update to the case in Canton, Ohio of the LEO that threatened to kill the citizen who was legally carrying and not given the opportunity to inform. Today, the judge in the case dropped the failure to inform charges against the citizen (William Bartlett). Lots of interesting tidbits in today's hearing, particularly the prosecutors' tactics as well as the officer's partner's testimony, see the following link for some details:

http://www.ohioccw.org/201111104990/judge-drops-failure-to-inform-charges-against-bartlett.html

As for the officer, he's still on the job although still on leave. His hearing will be coming up next month unless something changes.

aray
11-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Excellent. I'm a big LEO fan, but this case was over the top. Sadly there are a few bad apples in any bunch and this is one of those times. Glad the judge tossed the charges.

aray
11-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Also, here are two other cases where this same cop (Daniel Harless) threatens to kill other citizens as well. Not quite as clear as the William Bartlett case where Bartlett tried to inform the officer of his CCW permit, but in context of that incident still troubling.

See: http://www.pixiq.com/article/second-video-emerges-of-hot-tempered-canton-police-officer
and: http://www.pixiq.com/article/canton-cop-threatens-to-kill-citizen-in-third-dash-cam-video

And, in case you missed it, here of course is the original video of Harless going ballistic and interrupting Bartlett thus thwarting his multiple attempts to inform him of the CCW permit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc

MikeyKahr
11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Below is a link for an update on the Bartlett/Harless situation that's been posted on Buckeye Firearms Association's web site:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8067

There's an interesting 5 minute interview that a local channel had with William Bartlett if you scroll down.