PDA

View Full Version : First time at the range with my CM9

Brittanyman
08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Before I went to the range, I followed Jocko's "Proper prep for a new Kahr". I ran 225 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 115 gr FMJ through the CM9 with only to FTF. After the first 100 so rounds I had two FTFs.

I was loading the magazine with one round and chambered it using the slide release, then I would load 6 rounds in the mag. Each FTF occured after I shot the first chambered round. I think that when I loaded the last (6th) round in the mag I didn't push it far enough back into the mag. This then caused the cartridge not to angle up toward the feed ramp and chamber.

I locked the slide back and with my finger was able to push the round back so that it was completely in the mag. It then cycled properly.

I also shot some 115 gr HP made by Cor Bon, Speer Gold Dot, and Buffalo Bore. I had problem with these. Last night I cycled these HPs through my gun manually with no problem.

I was surprised how well the CM9 handled during these 225 rounds. I wore leather shooting gloves with no padding. I was able to handle the recoil well. I even shoot some strong handed only.

I was shooting at steel at 7, 10, 15, and 20+ yards. I was hitting the steel 95% of the time. I tried rapid shooting at the 7 yd steel and hit it every time.

I did have to get used to the trigger, especially the reset part. I never had a problem with it resetting, but it is sure different than my Glocks. I can ride the Glock trigger back to reset with finger pressure, but I noticed that I can't do that with the Kahr. I believe that if you leave pressure on the Kahr trigger it won't reset.

One other note, the floor plate of the magazine started to slide off the magazine while I was shooting the pistol. It didn't do it everytime, and it never came all the way off.

Like some feedback on the trigger reset and the mag floor plate.

JFootin
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I always hit my cleaning mat with the back of my mags after I load them, to make sure all rounds are all the way back. I have read that pinching the top lips of the mag together ever so slightly can help eliminate problems. It can also help if your mag is not falling free when released. I can't help you with the trigger reset or floor plate.

jocko
08-03-2011, 04:12 PM
if thathole in that floor plate doesn't accept that inner floor platge with the dimple on it, then it iwll slide off, If that dimple goes into that hole in the floor plate then it can't come off, check that stuff out. pull the magazine and check everything out.

More rounds down range and you and the gun will mate up better. Kahr triggers arenot like glocks, so it take somne getting used to. That looooong triggeris there by design, as that is ur only safety. Once u get the hang of it, u will do well.

Brittanyman
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
The floor plate was positioned correctly. Would squeezing the edges of the floor plate help? It would make a tighter fit when it was slid back onto the magazine body.

I cleaned the CM9 tonight and the mag was put together correctly.

TucsonMTB
08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
The floor plate was positioned correctly. Would squeezing the edges of the floor plate help? It would make a tighter fit when it was slid back onto the magazine body.

I cleaned the CM9 tonight and the mag was put together correctly.
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I did that with one of my magazines. Didn't help, in fact I had to replace the floor plate because it fit less well.

However, if you have the right size punch and can make a hole in a piece of flat metal that matches the size of the dimple, you can deepen the dimple a little and get better engagement, by using the punch with the dimpled part positioned over the hole. There is a chance you could damage the part that has the dimple, but its less risky than trying to modify the floor plate, partly because any marks you make on that little dimpled part will be mostly hidden.

It would probably be easier, and more certain, to call Kahr and ask for their help. They are pretty quick to ship replacement magazines. They will want the old one back, possibly before shipping a replacement, so you might want to "invest" in a spare magazine so you can shoot while waiting for the replacement. Just my three cents worth. It's really not worth two cents, but the higher cost is a reflection of inflation at work. ;)

Brittanyman
08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks, I give them a call and see what they say.

Brittanyman
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Took magazine apart and used punch to increase depth of dimple. Still the magazine base lock and the magazine base will slide forward about 1/2 inch off the magazine. I called Kahr yesterday, and they suggested that I squeeze the lips of the magazine base to give it a tighter fit on the magazine body. I did that and it solved the problem.

I have also purchased 3 more mags for the CM9, two -7 round and one - 6 round. These do not have the problem with the magazine base sliding off. I also hand cycled rounds through these new magazines without a problem. Hopefully I will be able to fire some rounds through these new mags to make sure they function properly.

Also I received my Crimson Trace Laser on Friday from CTC. They exchanged the one that I had purchsed for a Diamondback DB9, which I was going to purchase, for the one for the DB9. It didn't cost me a thing. They shipped me the one for the CM9 and enclosed a UPS call tag for the DB9 laser.

I installed it Friday and lined it up with the open sights of the CM9 at 40 ft. Will also see how it works when I get to the range.

I am carrying non +P Speer 115gr Gold Dots and/or Corbon 95gr DPX which are also not +P.

TucsonMTB
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Spare mags, laser, premium ammo . . . sounds like a man with a plan!

Here's hoping for awe inspiring results at the range! :D

apdturbo
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
good stuff, sounds like my mag base plate could use a pinch

Brittanyman
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM

This is my CM9 with the LG-437 Crimson Trace Laserguard and Talon rubber texture grips.

jocko
08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
sure hope the 7 rounds mags work ok for you.
Those magazines IMO are more ugly than Hillary clinton...

apdturbo
08-11-2011, 06:30 PM
very nice look to it, how are the talon rubberized grips? like a gel feel? are they tacky? do they get slippy when hands are sweaty?

Brittanyman
08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I just installed them last Friday. They feel good. I will shot the CM9 again tomorrow. It will be the first time with the grips. I will let you know how it goes. The grips are thin rubber. They are not sticky, but when you slide your hand or fingers over them with some pressure, the rubber tends to grip your skin.

I chose these over their grit grips because I hope to carry this weapon at times in my pocket with a pocket holster. The big complaint about the grit grips were they were to abrasive and would catch on clothing and abraid clothing. Some people sanded them down to lessen the grittiness.

Brittanyman
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Tried the new mags today. Had no problem with the six round and the 2 eight round mags. Here is a 20 shot group at 20 yards. The talon rubber grips worked well. My CM9 is now ready for my conceal carry summer weapon.

Bawanna
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Darn. That works. Thats good shooting at 20 yards. I'm happy with that at 10 yards. Well maybe happy aint the right word but satisfied might do.

I think your ready to go healed.

jocko
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
very good shooting. I just came back from a short session with my PM9 at 7 yards. I was just terrible. Just hard to believe. I am also throughly disgusted with my PM9, That SOB just goes bang every damn time, I never get to try any of these "fixes" that is posted on this forum. I feel so so sligthted. People always wri8te me and ask how I can come up with all these fixes when I never have any issues. Fokking beats the hell out of me. I guess I just sit here alot and look at my trusty PM9 and wonder what would happen is so and so happened, . I do think my barrel is bent, as it certainly does not shoot where I aim, and I know from reading this forum and most shooters saying it is never them, then It can't be me either!!!! I only shot 75 rounds and other than going bang every time, my shooting is just horrible. I have an appointmen t with my psychiarist tomorrow moring about all of this.

I will see what Doc says tomorrow.

jocko
08-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Tried the new mags today. Had no problem with the six round and the 2 eight round mags. Here is a 20 shot group at 20 yards. The talon rubber grips worked well. My CM9 is now ready for my conceal carry summer weapon.

me ur gun, I will send you a shot pattern that will float your boat. I taught Todd Jarrett:D

cw45fan
08-12-2011, 03:24 PM

That's REAL good shootin' from a 3" barrel! You definitely have that gun decked out for action... Very nice. I'll say it again; I figure the CM9 will gradually become a HUGE seller.

BwanaG
08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
:cool:Went to the range today with my brand new CM9. Nothing to report, shoots to point of aim and went bang every time. 100rds PMC, 100rds MFS and 25 rounds Win 115gr Silvertip HP I had lying around. No issues. I was amazed at how it smoothed out in just 225 rds. Still needs more rounds down range!

TucsonMTB
08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
:cool:Went to the range today with my brand new CM9. Nothing to report, shoots to point of aim and went bang every time. 100rds PMC, 100rds MFS and 25 rounds Win 115gr Silvertip HP I had lying around. No issues. I was amazed at how it smoothed out in just 225 rds. Still needs more rounds down range!
Congratulations! Sounds like a keeper! Welcome to the forum.

Ressom
08-13-2011, 04:13 AM

Wow, your range experience echos mine exactly. Just got a CM9 and put 225 rounds through yesterday with no problems... 150 S&B 115gr FMJ, 50 Federal AE 115gr, 25 Speer GD HP 124gr P+.

I'm a very happy camper.:D

jocko
08-13-2011, 06:22 AM
the smoothness part amazes alot of kahr owners. Kahrs are very tight when new and my PM9 with thousands of rounds down ragne seems torun on air. I have virtually zero wear. If there were any high spots whenthe gun was new, rounds down range has taken them out. Nice report. the cm9 is really a sweetheart gun..

TucsonMTB
08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Wow, your range experience echos mine exactly. Just got a CM9 and put 225 rounds through yesterday with no problems... 150 S&B 115gr FMJ, 50 Federal AE 115gr, 25 Speer GD HP 124gr P+.

I'm a very happy camper.:D
Congratulations! Sounds like a keeper! Welcome to the forum.