PDA

View Full Version : Chinook helicopter shot down in eastern Afghanistan.

wyntrout
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure what the strength of the Navy Seals is, but they took a big hit when a Chinook helicopter was shot down in eastern Afghanistan. 31 American Special Ops Troops and 7 Afghanis were killed. 25 were Navy Seals.

This is a terrible loss of any life, but an incredible loss of our pre-eminent, elite combat forces. It chokes me up and enrages me at the same time. Those Chinooks are large, clumsy slow-moving targets at normal elevations, but in the mountains they are even worse. Our troops shouldn't have been in such a vulnerable position. Our brave troops couldn't even fight back.

My heart goes out to them and their families. At least the military didn't spin it as mechanical failure and diminish their sacrifice, as too often is the case.

Rest in peace, brave heroes... most of us still care and mourn your loss in the service of our country.

Wynn

Flag credit:
http://www.3dflags.com >Animated flag images by 3DFlags.com

O'Dell
08-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Twenty-five is a big hit for the SEALS. There's never been that many of them at any one time. Very sad to hear.

wyntrout
08-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Supposedly there were Seal Team 6 members as well, and that must really make the Taliban and all extremist Muslims ecstatic. It's a double shame that they have this to rejoice over.

Wynn

TheTman
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for ruining my day Wyn. I dropped like a rock and prayed for those boys souls and all our other boys in harms way. That was a heartbreaker.
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard. What a horrible shame. I really hope they got the Seal team 6 wrong. If it was them, they went out knowing they had caused those Al Queda fokkers some major misery. Glad I stopped in late today, Thanks again for sharing Wyn.

wyntrout
08-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry that I had to bring that sorrowful news, but it seemed necessary that we might give thanks and remember them in our thoughts and prayers. I'm still getting choked up. The military is a true brotherhood and all of us past and present feel this horrible loss... ours... personal and national, and their families' and friends'.

Wynn

TheTman
08-06-2011, 03:10 PM
First I want to say, I'm not used to the modern military's way they put the gals in some dangerous jobs too, so I should quit using "our boys" and start using "our troops". I apologise if I offended any ladies with my references to "our boys in harm's way".

I unfortunately was never a part of the military brotherhood, closest I came was a stint in ROTC playing Army.

wyntrout
08-06-2011, 04:36 PM
News updates: 30 US killed with 22 of them SEALS.

LaP
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Why are they still there?
Didn't the Dear One proclaim the war over? Why did 30 brave men have to sacrifice their lives for this make-believe president?
Too many questions.....not enough answers from this administration.:mad:

ltxi
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
A serious loss. And a most serious loss to our elite....which I mean with the utmost respect.

Some of us here, wyntrout included, may well remember when incidents like this, maybe lesser but close, were a frequent occurrence. Not much media coverage for the "routine" back then.

We're in this/these wars right now for no better reason, imo, than we were in those days. One big difference is that we now support our retuning vets instead of spitting on them as they walk off the transports.