PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

SureShot
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I need everyone’s help. Since Kahr does not make a .22 cal. (yet). I would like everyone’s recommendation for a .22 pistol; I am looking for something I can teach the kids to shoot, with a balance between ease of uses and accuracy, something that won’t break the bank.
Proud NRA member
Paul

mr surveyor
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
strictly for a trainer, I would recommend the Ruger Single Action Six. Built like a tank...well, a Ruger.... and with the conversion .22 mag cylinder you have lots of options. The revolver is my choice for a first time shooter. For .22 semi-auto I would recommend a Ruger Mark II or Mark III (I prefer the older Mark II) in the 22/45 style. This one has a grip and overall feel like most handguns used for carry, particularly those patterned after the 1911 grip. Even the least expensive of the Ruger line are very dependable, and accurate POA/POI right out of the box.

Then, there's Browning, S&W, Sig, Beretta and a host of other makers of very good quality .22 handguns. I just happen to like the Rugers on this particular subject.

surv

mx5fan
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a Ruger MK III 22/45, hunter model and love this little shooter. The Ruger MK line is renouned in the .22 world as being one of the best auto .22 pistols around. They are known to be a bit of a pain to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, that said, it is certainly do-able and once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad, at all.

Another popular .22 auto is the Browning Buckmark, but I have no experience with this gun, so I can't comment personally.

If you are going to shoot it, as well, I would highly recommend the Ruger MK II or MKIII.

ripley16
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
For a very modest price you can pick up the Beretta NEOS in one of several barrel lengths. It is pretty easy to clean, accurate and has decent ergonomics.

The Browning Buckmark is a tad better gun IMHO, having a much nicer trigger. These can be found in many different configurations and prices. I have a Field 5.5 that is almost the equivalent of the Colt Woodsman (high praise).

I've had bad experiences regarding reliability with both the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito and would not recommend either.

The Ruger is well made and accurate. While not a favorite of mine, there's nothing wrong with the quality. There are millions of them and used guns can be had for good prices.

Ryder
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Am new here, but i have to agree on the Ruger sigle action, it is definatly built to last, in a semi-auto, i have to recommend the Browning Buckmark, it is accurate, and dependable. Of course, this is just my opinion. :)

medezyner
12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
New shooters: S&W model 17 or 617 revolver. Easy to shoot, accurate and durable.
A semi-auto for new shooters: I like the Buckmark over the Ruger Mark I, II, III it's easier to disassemble for cleaning. Beyond that, they're both good. I use all of the above for Basic Pistol training.

SureShot
12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
thanks everyone, all good choices. That's what I needed to know, what works and what dosen't. :)

Proud NRA member
Paul

johnh
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Another good option is a .22 conversion kit for something you have in centerfire so the kids can learn the controls, sights, etc. There are some nice options out there if you have a 1911, CZ, and several other common platforms. I decided to do that for my ARs so I could have my son learn first using rimfire, then graduate to the full caliber when he is of the stature to handle it.

John

zena
12-30-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm on board with both the Ruger and the Buckmark. I teach the gun safety course with the Ruger and new shooters find them very comfortable in the hand. Good luck.