PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New owner n CM9 failure

jeffe007
08-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Well first off hello and it's good to b here. I'm using an iPhone so plz forgive typos!:) a few weeks ago I bought a new CM 9 and loved it. I still haven't been able to shoot it but, week ago I noticed the trigger not resetting after dryfiring and racking the slide. If I left the pistol level it would reset if I racked the slide all the way to the rear and hard. If I pointed upwards to get more leverage on the slide, it wouldn't reset. So, I disassembled it and found that the cocking cam's spring was broken. No joke broke!

So, I called Kahr and after no more than 5-8mins on the phone the rep was told by the gunsmith to have me send it in. Then I was told it could take up to 2 weeks for repair. Not good. This is my only current pistol. So, I reluctantly agreed but went ahead and ordered a spring and had it over bites. Figured if it breaks again the. I do have a problem!

Well, got the part today and all is good. Works great and I'll cancel the return. Or, do y'all think I should send it in anyway? I think the spring was bad at the start and broke after first trigger pull. I will put 250 rds thru it on Sunday to endure all is well. I guess I'm just too darn impatient to Wait 2 weeks for a repair. If had a backup pistol I'd have sent it.

Whilst I LOVE the size and x trigger of the CM9, this initial failure makes me worry...allot! I traded (stupidly) a Walther PPS 9mm in for this little Kahr and I'm worried. But well see. (BTW, I traded it b/c I was broke and wanted a true pocket sized 9mm. The walther is a great pistol but too big to be considered a "sub-compact". It's more of a really thin compact. Cheers!

Bawanna
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I'd just go shoot it and see if all is well. Sending it back is always an option for later but I suspect you are correct and it somehow just got a bad spring put in.
We've heard of very very few issues with these little CM's so I suspect you'll be back on the track and good to go from here forward.

jocko
08-19-2011, 02:15 PM
first time I have ever heard of a cocking cam spreing breaking. Most don't even know how to get to the cocking cam sping even. I hav etosay kudos to you for finding it. All is well, put that incident behindyou. That is the first ever for me to hear that and all kahrs use the same cocking cam spring.

U might want to refer to the kahr tech section and hit on two good sticky's #1 kahr lube chart #2 propper prepping of ur new kahr. both will make that first shoot a dandy.

again nice job for finding that broken cocking cam spring. The ckm9 has basicaly been a faultless gun, IMO u got the best klahr out there for price kand quality. Why that spring broke is well "sh-t happens.

jeffe007
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah that's how I look at it. It's my luck. I ALWAYS get the one gun that is broke. But I must say one really negative thing about this pistols design: putting the trigger back together and transfer bar is a PITA that I NEVER want to or will do again!!! EVER!!! Totally aggravating and honestly complicated yet simple. I suggest that no one EVER disassemble their Kahr's frame unless absolutely required!!! Other than that it is fine !!

getsome
08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
You aren't the only one my friend....Somehow in a former life I was jinxed and it seems that if there are 1000 widgets on the shelf and I reach all the way in the very far back to be sure I get one that isn't damaged it will be the 1 out of 999 that won't work so don't feel like the Lone Ranger there....I also am very impressed that you were able to disassemble your pistol to get to the cam spring...I'm willing to try a repair but that one is out of my league and would have required a trip back to the mother ship but am glad you got it fixed...Don't worry about it as it will most likely never happen again but if anything does go wrong don't worry about sending it back to Kahr as they have very good customer service and will make it right for you...good luck with your CM9 and welcome to KahrTalk...:cool:

jocko
08-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah that's how I look at it. It's my luck. I ALWAYS get the one gun that is broke. But I must say one really negative thing about this pistols design: putting the trigger back together and transfer bar is a PITA that I NEVER want to or will do again!!! EVER!!! Totally aggravating and honestly complicated yet simple. I suggest that no one EVER disassemble their Kahr's frame unless absolutely required!!! Other than that it is fine !!

THE LOWER SECTION IS NOT OWNER FRIENDLY AND NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN DOWN BY THE OWNERS EITHER. U did well, I would not attempt to do it myself.

yqtszhj
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have a CM9 with now 350 trouble free rounds through it and I think you'll like yours. Give it a couple of boxes of ammo for yourself and the pistol to settle in to each other and I think you'll find that you are glad you have the CM9.

Someone promote this man to Full Member :third: since he did all of this work without even asking for an opinion or help and without complaining when he made his first post.

jocko
08-19-2011, 05:59 PM
he gets my vote...

nmkahrshooter
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Go to range and fire the pistol. You should not have any more problems. CM9 is a great shooter!

Bawanna
08-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. I have a CM9 with now 350 trouble free rounds through it and I think you'll like yours. Give it a couple of boxes of ammo for yourself and the pistol to settle in to each other and I think you'll find that you are glad you have the CM9.

Someone promote this man to Full Member :third: since he did all of this work without even asking for an opinion or help and without complaining when he made his first post.

I don't have that button on my crystal ball but I hereby declare you normble and worthy of same.

jeffe007
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
and I thank you all for your compliments!! On Monday I went and put 125 rounds thru it and it was flawless-even when slingshotting the slide home. I guess I just have a great magazine.....or so I thought.

Once done, I was waiting for the tow truck b/c my car's alternator died (thus killing any chance of getting the polish p-64.) when I noticed that whenreloading the 6-Rd mag something felt odd-even for me. Then I noticed it: two cracks along the spine of the magazine! Unbelievable!! If I didnt love this pistol I swear I'd trade it in on a nice used MK9!!

So, emailed Kahr and of course they want to see it and replace it. In mean time I bought a 7rd mag to use for $39!! (local gun shop-atleast they had one!). Now I get to wait and break in this mag which of course FTF's the first round when sling shotting the slide home. But when releasing the slide the "Kahr" way, no problem ever. Anyway that's my update!! Cheers All

yqtszhj
08-31-2011, 08:40 PM
keep filling us in on your range reports as you get the chance.

Ressom
09-01-2011, 06:30 AM
In mean time I bought a 7rd mag to use for $39!! (local gun shop-atleast they had one!). Now I get to wait and break in this mag which of course FTF's the first round when sling shotting the slide home. But when releasing the slide the "Kahr" way, no problem ever. Anyway that's my update!! Cheers All

My 7 round magazine acts the same way. The 6 six rounders can be sling-shotted with FMJ, but not with HP.

Not a FTFeed according to Kahr, but I would still like to be able to slingshot. So I sanded one of the followers on the 7 to no avail. I think the round is hitting the slide stop a little. So I have a new slide stop comming from Kahr to play around with.

jeffe007
09-03-2011, 06:18 AM
YES!!! Ur correct about hitting the slide stop!!! It is!!! It goes forward fine til that little bugger makes contact and the. Boom! The cartridge immediately begins a new trajectory to the right and hits the right edge of the feed ramp and the plastic frame. Kahr having us use the slide stop to send these rounds home INMO is simply forcing them thru the stoppage.