PDA

View Full Version : Odd CW40 feed problem

whitemule
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Greetings to all on KahrTalk

My apologies if this has been addressed before, I searched but couldn't find that it had.

I am the proud and happy owner of a CW40, the first of several Kahrs I hope. I am running Rem UMC 180 gr (L40SW3A I think) from a mega-pack from wallyworld. When I load one in the pipe and 6 in the mag and then fire the first round, the second round (first one out of the mag) will not feed and the slide does stays back. Not all the way back to where the slide lock is engaged, a bit forward of that. The slide lock is not engaged. If I rack the slide back and let it go, it then chambers the next round easily and I can fire off the rest of the mag with absolutely no problems. This happens almost every time with FMJ rounds. The GOOD news is it doesnt happen with any of my 180gr SD HP bonded rounds like Winchester, Federal etc. They all feed fine with one in the pipe. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon and/or if anyone on board can explain it.

Thanks again, and my best to all on KahrTalk!

jocko
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
ok, go to the kahr tech section and hit on two stickly's one is the kahr lube chart and the other is propper prepping of ur new kahr. read it throughly, there asre some things there to check out. I would like to say recoil spring issue but working with 180 grain ammo IMO eliminates that issue. But if none of the tips in the threads help u, call kahr kand ask for a new recoil spring, One never knows...

OldLincoln
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
When you do the lube chart, make sure Lube point 6 is greased and smooth and rub your finger across the front top of the barrel hood for burrs or sharpness. It should be square but smooth.

On recoil, the slide (Point 6) drags on the barrel hood and that's what makes the barrel point upward. When not fully mated that drag can affect the load/chambering action for the next round.

If Point 6 is rough you can polish it and same for the barrel hood. That saves a lot of time on the breakin period.

Bawanna
08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd semi agree with the recoil spring although I don't see if the gun is new or used. If used definitely worth replaceing regardless, they are cheap.

I'd look at the stripper bar (for lack of the proper term that escapes me at the moment). The raised section dead center behind the breech face that rides on top of the round in the magazine. It might be a bit rough or something and dragging that second round forward when the first round chambers and possibly making it hit the slide lock spring briefly.
After that one clears the mag spring pressure diminishes enough that the rest might feed correctly as your does.

Just something else to check, it's easy to polish up a little bit.

whitemule
08-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'll pursue some of those suggestions after I get back from vacation and let you know how I make out.

KAHRS ROCK and so does KahrTalk!