PDA

View Full Version : jocko been testing u all this time

jocko
08-23-2011, 02:43 AM
More Brain Stuff. . . From Cambridge University .

Olny srmat poelpe can raed this.
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this psas it on !!

and t0 think that ol jocko just couldnot spell--huh. I have actually been part of a test program by cambridge uiversity to let pople know that a dictionary is just not really needed:behindsofa: This forum is a very smart group- uthinket6h??

MW surveyor
08-23-2011, 04:29 AM
ive ben abl to reed youre riting on th3s3 forms.

So did I pass the test?

jocko
08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
u did well!!

MW surveyor
08-23-2011, 07:08 AM
tnks

Bill K
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Yeah, but you still must learn to read and spell in the first place. Any way anourd taht?

MrToad
08-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I used to annoy my teachers when they discovered I could read upside down text too.

It's interesting how human pattern recognition works.

slowpoke
08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
2 uryl n the n the mrongi 4 tish,......i edne oeecff

jlottmc
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I used to annoy my teachers when they discovered I could read upside down text too.

It's interesting how human pattern recognition works.

That from my experience is a most useful skill.

Dietrich
08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Jocko,with friends like you,who needs enemas?

OldLincoln
08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Funny how life works. I took down a box of ancestry stuff a few weeks ago that has pics, letters and business docs going back to the mid-1800's in my family. I opened one letter and was amazed at the penmanship of a man ancestor. It was a work of art and to think that was written with a real liquid ink fountain pen was amazing to me. Proper English to boot.

The men in my tree back 3 generations didn't write like that so I'm not alone, even though I used fountain pens and had penmanship classes in elementary school. In fact it was called grammar school in those days. Remember diagramming sentences and memorizing rules of grammar? Well they've all changed now anyway. Don't know if for the better or not.

I was correcting my daughter-in-law regarding preposition usage. She's a elementary school teacher so I wanted to have teach the kids correctly. She kept ending sentences with a preposition and didn't have a clue what I was talking about. She said she had not been taught that it was incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition. I gave her some simple examples and she replied "how quaint." HOW QUAINT!!!!! So after she left I googled it and sure enough they don't care and don't teach that stuff anymore and since she is nearly 40 obviously haven't for some time.

Now she says it's all they can do to slow down the infiltration of texting language in school papers. That tells me it won't be long before nothing is important in society, language, clothing, speech, behavior, obviously driving, and more. Maybe this is why folks get old and die, so they don't pollute the progress toward nothing matters. Sigh.... where's that box? I want to go back to a more civil day. Oh, nurse - time for my apple juice.

Scoundrel
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I am surprised by how many people are surprised to find out that I can read upside down. I can read backwards, too. I don't know about upside down _and_ backwards though. I don't recall having done that, but it's not out of the question.

I believe I learned how to read upside down as a very small child. I am the youngest of four. When the Sunday paper arrived, the comics section got laid out on the floor and read. If I wanted to read the comic strips without waiting an hour for everyone else to finish them, I had to sit on the uphill side and read them upside down.

I guess not all of us develop the same skills. My wife, for example, cannot cross her eyes.

BEARDOG
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but you still must learn to read and spell in the first place. Any way anourd taht?

hukt on fonixs werked fer mee ! :D

jlottmc
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I read a study some time ago, in it they discussed methods of learning to read. They found that the old way of phonetics actually works better in regards to comprehension, and retention, but not as well with the speed of reading. The opposite was true for word recognition. Which is the principal that jocko was highlighting, that study (done several times over the years fyi) also shows that the same people who excel with both methods of reading can read the same words if certain letters of the word are present (I forget which actually have to be there, but it works) and that their brains fill in the rest without effort or thought. It is also this that allows us to read up side down, or backwards etc.
I learned how to read in non-traditional ways because I grew up in a machine shop, and have done building maintenance for a number of years, and seldom do you come across writing that is clear and in the correct spacial orientation.

jocko
08-23-2011, 10:56 AM
so does that mean ol jocko is now forgiven for his ill ways?????????

mr surveyor
08-23-2011, 11:15 AM
so does that mean ol jocko is now forgiven for his ill ways?????????

jocko... I think that is the first time I have ever seen a post where your space bar worked perfectly for more than 5 words in a row. Did you get a new keyboard or something?:D

Bawanna
08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
jocko... I think that is the first time I have ever seen a post where your space bar worked perfectly for more than 5 words in a row. Did you get a new keyboard or something?:D

You noticed that too huh?

mr surveyor
08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
It hink we beenh ad. Thatwa sn't the real jock o

BEARDOG
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Now she says it's all they can do to slow down the infiltration of texting language in school papers. That tells me it won't be long before nothing is important in society, language, clothing, speech, behavior, obviously driving, and more. Maybe this is why folks get old and die, so they don't pollute the progress toward nothing matters. Sigh.... where's that box? I want to go back to a more civil day. Oh, nurse - time for my apple juice.

Your post reminded me of a silly... but sadly true in many way's movie called Idiocracy.
If you guy's never seen it here is a couple of clips from the beginning.:eek:
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/f8drn8/first-10-minutes-of-idiocracy-clip-1
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/xbeds5/first-10-minutes-of-idiocracy-clip-2

jocko
08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
It hink we beenh ad. Thatwa sn't the real jock o

fokk it wasn't:smash: have no idea why it all came out OK like that, I will try tog et back to mormal

mr surveyor
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
ther e's our jocko:D

Jeremiah/Az
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I have read & seen on TV that they considering not teaching kids script or writing in longhand. With all the electronic means they say there is no need to learn it. You still need to sign your name!:eek:

MW surveyor
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Just sign here/make your mark.

X

Bawanna
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I have read & seen on TV that they considering not teaching kids script or writing in longhand. With all the electronic means they say there is no need to learn it. You still need to sign your name!:eek:

It's all pure laziness these days. I think they call longhand "cursive" now days or I think they do. We called it writing when I learned it and printing when you wasn't writing.
Other than getting my kahrtalk fix I've often times thought of taking everything in my house that plugs in and tossing it, what a life changing event that would be huh?

Imagine the day when our representatives had to get to Washington by horse back or buggy and they got stuff done. Now I dont know why they bother going there at all, should just have a conference meeting with the crystal ball, they don't get nothing done anyhow.

jocko
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I drink coffee with a teacher and she said at her school they no longer teach cursive writing. thing of the past. My for the good ol days. I go to Panera Bread every day for coffee and when I walk in there damn nbear everyone is ohn a fokking laptop or IPAD, disgusting. Leave those fokkers at home and at least enjoy a damn cup of coffee and a cinammon crunch, Next your gonna see them in church instead of missles, hym books or what ever. I hope they don't allow that crap in heaven, I just want to be able to sit on my heavenly front porch in my rocking chair and pop kangaroos as they hop by, with my trusty PM9 which by then shold have about 75K rounds out of it, and it is goin with me..

Bawanna
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I've got a message into Oprahs boy toy, Dr Phil to see if he has an answer to this deeply seated anxiety against kangaroos hoping by. Has to be a medically proven reason for this sort of thinking or lack there of.
Wonder if the 9 has enough beans to drop a Kangaroo in one hop.

Well duh, course it does, why do ya think they call it the Wonder Nine?

My bad.

When he gets back to me I'll ask him why I have a similar anxiety but with a twin mounted 50 caliber machine gun somewhere around El Paso.
Probably just want to be a Texan, short Texan but Texan just the same.

melissa5
08-23-2011, 03:45 PM
O mi! Weev ben had!

I can't believe you did that, you devil!

OldLincoln
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I am surprised by how many people are surprised to find out that I can read upside down. I can read backwards, too. I don't know about upside down _and_ backwards though. I don't recall having done that, but it's not out of the question.

I've always wondered how those guys can write on the back side of clear plexiglass in situation rooms. I've tried it and my brain simply will not permit that. I even tried using a mirror but no way. I do fair at best reading mirror text and some upside down, but not much. I usually became obvious when in the boss' office trying to read something on his desk. He called me on it so I learned to not be so curious.

getsome
08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure they are teaching kids anything anymore...My favorite Jay Leno segment is called Jay Walking and he goes out on the street and asks college kids questions that any 7th grader should know...Here are some sample questions and the students answers...What divided East Germany and West Germany during the cold war? Answers: A river...The sea... Question: When was the war of 1812 fought and who was involved and what famous song was written during the battle? Answers: I'm not sure when it was but I think it was against Mexico or Spain and the song was God Bless America...Sad... Question: What does NATO stand for? Answer: National Automotive Training Organization...(I'm not making this stuff up folks)...Question: Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Answers: George Washington or Abraham Lincoln...Not really sure...Question: How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun one full time...Answers: One day...A month or so...Question: What Country is North of South Korea...Answer China (Well thats close I guess).. Question: What country is south of the United States...Answer: South America...Question: What country is the great wall located in...Answer: Mexico (I wish)...And last but not least...Question: Who won the Civil War...Answer: We did.............I hate to say it but after our generation goes toes up I don't think there is much hope for the future of this once great country....:(

JFootin
08-23-2011, 05:56 PM
"Question: Who won the Civil War...Answer: We did....." LOL!

Good one!

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=497

OldLincoln
08-23-2011, 07:18 PM
"Question: Who won the Civil War..." Correct Answer: No one! It was a sad, sad time without winners. One side may have lost more than the other, but that side lost plenty enough. "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

As for the war of 1812, it's easy if you remember your music. "In 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson along the mighty Mississip.... We fired our guns and the British keppa coming."