PDA

View Full Version : Trying to avoid additional caliber of ammo

Alfonse
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I've already found reasons I need to have a stock of 9mm, .40 and .45 ammo. Of course, that doesn't include rifle calibers, shotgun or rimfire.

My wife is becoming interested in carrying concealed, which is great. But, for a variety of reasons, a revolver might be a better option for her. We will be spending some more time at the range to see. She will be using the PM9 more to see if that (or a CM9) might work, but she isn't thrilled with it so far.

So, the question. Does anybody have experience with 9mm revolvers? It looks like the Taurus 905 pistols are about all I see currently being produced. I haven't found one that I can rent yet, being out here in the sticks and all.

It seems like a 9mm revolver might be a good solution so as to not have to have .38 as yet another ammunition to have a supply of.

MW surveyor
08-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I remember seeing something about Charter Arms coming out with a 9 mm revolver. Don't know if this has come out as yet. You might want to look at their web site.

Word of caution regarding the Taurus 905. I looked at one last year having the same thoughts as you and finally found one to actually hold. DA was really stiff. Then I tried dropping in a 9 mm round into the cylinders. Two of the cylinders would not accept the round. May have been just that gun but I would expect on a brand new gun that this problem should not occur. The gun does come with moon clips packaged with the gun and they do need to be used. Of course YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.

Alfonse
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Charter, so far, only has one out in .40, that supposedly doesn't need moonclips. Taurus may not be the ticket, maybe something used but out of production. Or, maybe not as well. I like the Ruger LCR. It will really be up to my wife whether I end up with another ammo to stock. I was just wondering if it was even worth trying to track down something in 9mm to try.

jocko
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
hell just buy here a hammerless J frame smith 38 sp.l thqat ammo is a low in price as 9mm and there is just oddles of defense rounds for the 38 spl also. She will have a quality investimentwith a J frame, certainly a peace of art IMO.

mr surveyor
08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I am one of those that likes options. For several years I worked on having enough options in handguns, rifles and shotguns that could make use of at least 15 different varieties of ammunition. In a pinch, you never know what may be available in the ammunition supply channel. Putting all your eggs in one basket ain't always the best route. I have since pared it down to anything in .22 cal (short,long,long rifle, magnum), .32, 9mm, .38 spl, ,357 mag, .40, .45 in handguns, and .410, 20 ga and 12 ga in shotguns, and .22, 30-30 and .243 in rifles. No more .25 or .380 handguns and no more various other rifle calibers. Still, variety is the spice of life. (I do still want...need... a Ruger RedHawk in .44 mag. as well as a few others:D)

Just consider the early part of the recent obomanation.... firearms as well as ammunition prices skyrocketed. This was even more pronounced in the ammunition department, and probably even more so. That kind of sh!t could happen again, at any time.

jmo

surv

ltxi
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a 3" bbl S&W J-frame in 9mm....Model 940. Nice gun and I originally bought it used, mint for carry about 15 or 16 years ago but that never quite worked out. Stuck with my 2" .38 J-frames and Colt Pocketlite instead. Biggest drawback, for me, was the full moon clips. Actually that was the only real drawback. It was sensitive to distorted clips, something that can easily happen when carrying them loaded. Plus just carrying the clips for reloads was awkward....not like carrying speed loaders and I prefer speed strips for J-frames in any event. That the 940 was only produced for seven or eight years and only in the x40 configuration is telling.

I guess I just gave an excessively long version of....what Jocko just said.

ltxi
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I am one of those that likes options. For several years I worked on having enough options in handguns, rifles and shotguns that could make use of at least 15 different varieties of ammunition. In a pinch, you never know what may be available in the ammunition supply channel. Putting all your eggs in one basket ain't always the best route. I have since pared it down to anything in .22 cal (short,long,long rifle, magnum), .32, 9mm, .38 spl, ,357 mag, .40, .45 in handguns, and .410, 20 ga and 12 ga in shotguns, and .22, 30-30 and .243 in rifles. No more .25 or .380 handguns and no more various other rifle calibers. Still, variety is the spice of life. (I do still want...need... a Ruger RedHawk in .44 mag. as well as a few others:D)

Just consider the early part of the recent obomanation.... firearms as well as ammunition prices skyrocketed. This was even more pronounced in the ammunition department, and probably even more so. That kind of sh!t could happen again, at any time.

jmo

surv

Keeping it strictly to the absolute essentials....the stockpiled calibers that are causing my home's foundation to list: .22 short(yep, short)/lr/mag, 9mm, .38, .357 .40 (sorta), .45ACP, 12 ga, 7.62x39 (!), .308, and 30-06. Have many others, but anything under at least 1000 reserve rounds on hand only qualifies for the recreational list.

QuercusMax
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
It seems like a 9mm revolver might be a good solution so as to not have to have .38 as yet another ammunition to have a supply of.

This is a good question that I have rarely seen answered, although when you think about it, there is a good reason why 9mm revolvers are rare.

Because of the way revolvers work vs. automatics, most revolvers are made for ammo that has rims with a diameter that extend beyond the body of the cartridge, while most automatics are made for "rimless" cartridges that have rims but that do not extend wider than the diameter of the body of the cartridge. Thus you can load revolver cartridges into the cylinder and they are held in place by their broad rims, which would not be the case when using 9mm Parabellum cartridges which are rimless. This is a great simplification, but gives the general idea.

Seems obvious when you think about it. Revolvers can be made for rimless ammo, but it's not that common. Automatics can be made for wide-rimmed ammo (most commonly in .22 caliber), but it's not common for them either.

Either you are a wheel gun guy with the corresponding ammo, or an automatic guy with automatic ammo. This is KahrTalk, so probably not a lot of rimmed ammo here.

TheTman
08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Smith and Wesson made a model 547 in 9mm. I actually found one for sale for $800 here: http://www.armslist.com/posts/156319/fayetteville-arkansas-handguns-for-sale-sw-547-9mm-very-rare
I guess there is also a more compact model 940 hammerless snubby. Buds has one for $769 here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/411544856

ltxi
08-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Smith and Wesson made a model 547 in 9mm. I actually found one for sale for $800 here: http://www.armslist.com/posts/156319/fayetteville-arkansas-handguns-for-sale-sw-547-9mm-very-rare
I guess there is also a more compact model 940 hammerless snubby. Buds has one for $769 here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/31/products_id/411544856

940, yes...ref my above post. It was the 9mm version of the 640. Made, if I recall correctly, '91 to '98 in 2" and '91 and '92 in the 3' barrel version.

Bawanna
08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I personally would not want to mess with moon clips as Ixti so eloquently spoke. Just not worth the hassle. I'd get a 38 and call it a day.

That being said I do long for a Smith 625 like Miculek runs so well. That's been on my just cause list for a long time. For a range gun dealing with the moon clips would be ok.

Barth
08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
The 640s 9mm cost a fortune.
And as previously stated the moon clips can easily be damaged.
Plus, and I can't believe I'm saying this, it can be a bit heavy for daily carry.
I understand the intrest in same cal.
But auto ammo in a revolver can be problematic.

I vote for a 642 Centennial Airweight NEW with no lock ($361 at Buds)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_39_922
http://i4.tinypic.com/2hcd9tz.jpg

Finnster
08-26-2011, 12:38 AM
I purchased a Taurus 905 SS about 1 year ago new. It was the only 9mm SS revolver I could find. I wanted a SS concealed hammer version but the last of those were sold out about 3 months earlier.

The first time I fired this weapon the cylinder began to bind. Back to Taurus who adjusted it. Fired it again and the cylinder began to shave lead. Back to Taurus for new parts. Subsequently I have fired 200 rds through it with no problems. It is important to carefully remove spent cases from the stellar clip or it will bend making it useless. I keep separate clips for practice shooting only and discard them when they start to bind.

Recently I bought a Ruger LC9. After the first 15 rds. I had 8 misfires due to light hits and the magazine did not eject smoothly. The replacement gun did the same thing and some of the strike marks were off the primers. The third LC9 I received had a terrible trigger. It bound about 2/3rd of the way through the pull then again just before let off. I took that gun back for a full refund. The Ruger legend has become the Ruger tragedy. So I am looking at a new MK 9.

I contacted Charter Arms regarding their C.A.R.R.9mm (Charter Arms Rimless Revolver). They could not give any date regarding the release of of this model. This sounds nice but I heard that the C.A.R.R. may have a patent problem since it is similar to the clipless S&W 9mm revolver from about 1980.
Regards,

Rainman48314
08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
that your wife isn't crazy about the CM9 because of the felt recoil, or perhaps, the trigger? IF that's the case, a revolver may not be the solution, especially in 9mm.

Rainman48314
08-26-2011, 08:00 AM
The 640s 9mm cost a fortune.
And as previously stated the moon clips can easily be damaged.
Plus, and I can't believe I'm saying this, it can be a bit heavy for daily carry.
I understand the intrest in same cal.
But auto ammo in a revolver can be problematic.

I vote for a 642 Centennial Airweight with no lock ($361 at Buds)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_39_922
http://i4.tinypic.com/2hcd9tz.jpgI would agree. Keep in mind she can eventually shoot +P rounds in it. These should be easy to find as rentals as well as purchase for under $399

Alfonse
08-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Recoil isn't the issue as much as working the firearm. The simplicity of the wheel gun is the plus for her. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll go shoot j frames with her and go from there. Those are also easier to rent at the range.

I suppose I can find room for more ammo.

mr surveyor
08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I would not recommend a j-frame for someone that may not have the time, patience and ammunition budget to actually learn to shoot it well.... the airweights/lightweights in particular. Just because they look small and petite does not mean they handle the same as they look. If you're dead set on a j-frame for the wife, start out with a solid stainless model with 2-1/2" barrel (minimum). Revolvers just don't seem to fit my personal physique very well, although I have always felt the need for one in many places my occupation takes me. I've gone through one Ruger Security Six (wonderful 4" in .357 -just would not fit my short stubs right), several different Rossi variations (rusted too much to keep up with maintenance), a Charter Arms (couldn't keep the cylinder release adjusted), and more recently a very nice to carry S&W 637 Airweight. The 637 was great to carry, but I could never shoot it worth a darn...even missed a cottonmouth from 6 feet away with a CCI shotshell load. Last year I picked up a stinaless 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 mag and have put all my "field gun worries" to rest. It handles .357 hot loads more comfortably than the 637 handled .38 spl +p rounds, and target load .38 spl is almost like shooting a .22 cal revolver. It is heavy, relatively speaking, but shoots point of aim (for me) and handles recoil extremely well. Plus, you will always have the option of both .38 spl and .357 magnum...and any/all modern loadings of either.

I guess my long winded point is that you should not be fooled into the "smaller and lighter handgun is better for the little lady" mantra. It ain't so!

surv

MW surveyor
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Alfonse - I did not want to make this suggestion in my first reply to your post but seeing how mr surveyor recommended the Ruger SP101......I've got one of the same and in my feeble mind, it's a very good revolver. Sure only 5 shots but if you can hit what you are aiming at, you are good to go.

If they have any at the range where you go to shoot. Try one of these out at the very least. The 3" is more accurate for me but also try the 2 1/4" barrel as well.

Whatever you do, make sure she's the one that makes the final decision!

ltxi
08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I would not recommend a j-frame for someone that may not have the time, patience and ammunition budget to actually learn to shoot it well.... the airweights/lightweights in particular. Just because they look small and petite does not mean they handle the same as they look. If you're dead set on a j-frame for the wife, start out with a solid stainless model with 2-1/2" barrel (minimum). Revolvers just don't seem to fit my personal physique very well, although I have always felt the need for one in many places my occupation takes me. I've gone through one Ruger Security Six (wonderful 4" in .357 -just would not fit my short stubs right), several different Rossi variations (rusted too much to keep up with maintenance), a Charter Arms (couldn't keep the cylinder release adjusted), and more recently a very nice to carry S&W 637 Airweight. The 637 was great to carry, but I could never shoot it worth a darn...even missed a cottonmouth from 6 feet away with a CCI shotshell load. Last year I picked up a stinaless 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 mag and have put all my "field gun worries" to rest. It handles .357 hot loads more comfortably than the 637 handled .38 spl +p rounds, and target load .38 spl is almost like shooting a .22 cal revolver. It is heavy, relatively speaking, but shoots point of aim (for me) and handles recoil extremely well. Plus, you will always have the option of both .38 spl and .357 magnum...and any/all modern loadings of either.

I guess my long winded point is that you should not be fooled into the "smaller and lighter handgun is better for the little lady" mantra. It ain't so!

surv

Point very well taken. In terms of self defense purposes, after 40 some years of practice I shoot J-frames, including the lw versions, well. Almost as well as my PM9 after the first month and 500 rounds.

Bawanna
08-26-2011, 05:37 PM
My wife a month or so ago was able to shoot her SP101 22, a friends SP101 357 with target lead loads, and my 70's era Colt Cobra a 2" lightweight back in the day side by side. She got along ok with the Cobra, no comparison on the trigger, so much nicer than the Rugers although the Rugers werent bad.

I got the Cobra out the other night planning to give it to her and she put it in her night stand. The next morning much to my joy and happiness she said she'd prefer her SP101 22 with the laser. Sooo I got my beautiful Cobra back and I won't offer it again.

The downfall to the SP101 is it's kind of heavy for a womans purse. Good to shoot with it recoil reducing weight but heavy.

I agree with a steel 60 or 36 etc and would probably stick with 38 giving up the option of the 357. I've went with 357s all my life but I think a dedicated 38 with good carry ammo would be a good thing for a woman who didn't want to practice alot.

mr surveyor
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
as long as it's steel!

Hey B... can I have the Colt since Mr.s B doesn't want it:D?

(I would also like to have the SP101 in .22, if it's not too much to ask)

surv

ltxi
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
My wife a month or so ago was able to shoot her SP101 22, a friends SP101 357 with target lead loads, and my 70's era Colt Cobra a 2" lightweight back in the day side by side. She got along ok with the Cobra, no comparison on the trigger, so much nicer than the Rugers although the Rugers werent bad.

I got the Cobra out the other night planning to give it to her and she put it in her night stand. The next morning much to my joy and happiness she said she'd prefer her SP101 22 with the laser. Sooo I got my beautiful Cobra back and I won't offer it again.

The downfall to the SP101 is it's kind of heavy for a womans purse. Good to shoot with it recoil reducing weight but heavy.

I agree with a steel 60 or 36 etc and would probably stick with 38 giving up the option of the 357. I've went with 357s all my life but I think a dedicated 38 with good carry ammo would be a good thing for a woman who didn't want to practice alot.

The problem with J-frames with hot loads, especially the lightweights, is that they can easily become more dangerous to any/every thing other than the intended target in a stress situation; especially in the hands of the "inexperienced".

There's an old saying that goes something like "The only safe place to be around a woman with a 2" revolver is directly in front of her/her target." Yeah, I know that's sexist, but it's a very old saying and the intended point is still valid.

Even as a very experienced shooter, my favorite load for these guns is the Federal std pressure 125gr NyClads because I firmly believe in double taps and that follow-up shot placement matters a whole lot more than hoping for the holy grail...the one shot stop of a .357 from a 12 oz revolver. Given Federal has fairly recently put the 125gr NyClad back in production as an LE round, it appears there are at least some out there that agree.

Barth
08-26-2011, 07:39 PM
As usual no one can pick a gun for someone else.
She needs to shoot a selection of guns and make a choice.
There is no single perfect gun for everyone.
Double action revolvers are simple, reliable, require less maintenance
and skill to use than an auto. Bigger, heaver, guns are generally easier to shoot.
The trick is finding that sweet spot.
That balance of size, weight and power
that you can handle well, conceal well and are willing to carry regularly.

An all steel gun is preferable.
If someone is willing to deal with the weight.
Often CC guns are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.
I like to practice with a 640 for J-frame ergonomics.
And then fire a some rounds out of my 342 to feel the recoil.
I shoot the 342 very well. Although it's not fun.

Fortunately, with advances in ammo, I think even regular pressure 38s
aren't bad for SD. And managable in a airweight.
The key is actually carrying the gun.
I don't want to count how many get there CCP, buy a gun, and almost never carry it.

Alfonse
08-26-2011, 10:28 PM
You can be sure my wife will make her own decision. She runs her own construction company and does exactly what she wants. My job is to find a variety of options. She'll take one of the classes offered locally to get started as well. I will arrange to have some rugers and smiths. I appreciate the input! Thanks.

Barth
08-26-2011, 11:35 PM
You can be sure my wife will make her own decision. She runs her own construction company and does exactly what she wants. My job is to find a variety of options. She'll take one of the classes offered locally to get started as well. I will arrange to have some rugers and smiths. I appreciate the input! Thanks.
Well done!
The second (and super fun) step is the totally optional customization phase.
Upgraded sights, grips and/or an action job on the trigger can turn a good gun
into a great gun! Particularly revolvers open a wide range of choices.
Smiths have some of the best DA triggers in the world.
But with a trigger job the gun can sing.
Particularly the Centennial models are great for CC.
But with a groove for rear sights and a dark ramp for a front sight
they really beg for improvement.
I just upgraded mine with a XS Systems Big Dot front sight and it's truly amazing!

Have fun and good luck to you both!
http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/25536-DEFAULT-L.jpg