PDA

View Full Version : Might trade SR9c for S&W 629

les strat
08-25-2011, 06:55 PM
At my LGS, there was a used 629 Classic.44 sitting on the bottom shelf with a price of $529 (good?). I have been wanting a large revolver for the range since I got my 642, and I have one too many 9s, so I was thinking of trading in the Ruger SR9c in on it. Don't get me wrong, the Ruger is a great pistol with one of the best triggers out there, but I have the CM9 for daily carry and a Ruger P89 under the bed (that's built to withstand Armagedon!), so I am good on 9mm and do not need a mid-size in that caliber anymore
Since money is super-tight, I have went over everyscenario of what I can trade:

Trade the wifey's Bersa T380 and let her carry the SR9c? Nope. Too hard to rack, and wouldn't get jack for the Bersa.

Not up for trading any of my long guns casue they stock the freezer, but I do have a Mossy 18" tactical persuader that is a bit overkill (for me).

Dang. I know you guys are like me and find something you REALLY want and go nuts trying to think how you can make it work! I can taste it.;)

mr surveyor
08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
you really have to ask?????

get the .44!

The SR9C might last you a few years before it breaks, or you just get tired of it, but the 629 would most likely be a family heirloom.

TheTman
08-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I believe that would be a very good price on that 629. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it.

les strat
08-25-2011, 08:05 PM
It has very light wear scratches... nothing major. I might bring in the Mossy Persuader and the Ruger and see if they'll do straight up.

jeepster09
08-25-2011, 08:25 PM
you really have to ask?????

get the .44!

The SR9C might last you a few years before it breaks, or you just get tired of it, but the 629 would most likely be a family heirloom.

Plus 1....GET THE 44.:53:

Bawanna
08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Plus 2, get the 44. Check it out. That's a darn good price.

TheTman
08-25-2011, 09:02 PM
I just looked over at Auction Arms .com, and 629's are going for a lot more than $525. They had one under $600. If it's in good working order I'd grab it quick before it's gone. Even if it needed bit of work, that's not a bad price. To me it seems like one of those too good to be true things. I'm just thinking most gun stores, are usually a little pricier than going thru Bud's or something, and it's hard to believe they'd let a 629 go that cheap. I'd give it a real good check out, and if they have a shooting range ask to shoot it. Look for cracks, bulges, cylinder hanging up, some imperfection that would keep it from selling higher. It may be a good gun that they are giving a good deal on, but still it makes me wonder........
I have a 629 that I wouldn't take less than a grand for, and I see some going at that price on the auction sites.

Dang dude is that store anywhere near Kansas? Let me know where it is and it might be gone before you get a chance to look at it again.

les strat
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Bud's has them new for $786. Still a good price used. I think I'll pack the guns up and take them with me on my lunch and see what they'll do.

les strat
08-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I just looked over at Auction Arms .com, and 629's are going for a lot more than $525. They had one under $600. If it's in good working order I'd grab it quick before it's gone. Even if it needed bit of work, that's not a bad price. To me it seems like one of those too good to be true things. I'm just thinking most gun stores, are usually a little pricier than going thru Bud's or something, and it's hard to believe they'd let a 629 go that cheap. I'd give it a real good check out, and if they have a shooting range ask to shoot it. Look for cracks, bulges, cylinder hanging up, some imperfection that would keep it from selling higher. It may be a good gun that they are giving a good deal on, but still it makes me wonder........
I have a 629 that I wouldn't take less than a grand for, and I see some going at that price on the auction sites.

Dang dude is that store anywhere near Kansas? Let me know where it is and it might be gone before you get a chance to look at it again.

It's in Alabama. If I don't pounce, I'll let your sneaky butt know where ;)

Bawanna
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
It's in Alabama. If I don't pounce, I'll let your sneaky butt know where ;)

Thats that state named after that country band huh? I kind of liked em back when I could hear a little.

I wish you good luck on your pursuit. I'd probably be tempted to just trade the Ruger and keep the Mossy but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

I have a 629 Classic Hunter that I'd have a darn hard time parting with.

Barth
08-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I love my 629-2 Mountain Gun.
Think the 629 is one of the very best of the Smith revolvers.
44 Mags generally aren't high mileage.
And I don't think you can wear one out.
At worst the cylinder might need to be tightened.
If it doesn’t look abused get it. Get it now!
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo05/ad/6a/48882277cde6__1313264906000.jpg

TheTman
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
LOL, I was just kidding, I wouldn't sneak in on your deal. I think I would grab it, it shouldn't last long at that price, unless something is really messed up with it.

les strat
08-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, I left the Mossy at home and just brought the SR9c. WIll take it around lunch and talk shop. I really believe if I get this revolver, my gun lineup will have covered most all the bases:
Mossy 12 ga tactical persuader - Home defense, SHTF
Mossy 535 12 ga - fowl hunting
1930 Win Model 12 16 ga - my grandfather's and a keepsake
Savage 110 30-06 - deer
Marlin M60 .22L - plinking, rodents
Ruger P89 9mm - home defense
Kahr CM9 - EDC
S&W 642 .38 sp - truck gun
S&W 629 .44 mag - "take a look at this" gun

There is always a 1911, a .22 target pistol, a .......... :D

recoilguy
08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Nicely played! It appears you will have quite a variety once you make the deal. If I were closer to you I'd buy the SR9c from you. I really like that gun.....it will not break in a couple years.

RCG

getsome
08-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Do it and don't look back...I have a 5" barrel 629 that is a tack driver, handy to tote and easy to handload light target rounds for ...If there is anything wrong with the gun S&W will take care of the problem free as they have excellent customer service...Trade for the 629 and you won't ever be sorry and it will always increase in value....You can always pick up another 9mm in the future but I'm guessing you won't even miss it...Good luck

jocko
08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I love my 629.
Think it's one of the very best of the Smith revolvers.
44 Mags generally aren't high mileage.
And I don't think you can wear one out.
At worst the cylinder might need to be tightened.
If it doesn’t look abused get it. Get it now!
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo05/ad/6a/48882277cde6__1313264906000.jpg

I think we really tend to worry to much about wear and tear on a good gun. How many WORN out guns have u seen in your lifetime. Like someone stated ur not gonna pump 20K rounds in a 44 mag anyhow, 99% never shoot that caliber alot anyhow, punishing to say the least, expensive to boot.

les strat
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Well guys, I got it. I was mistaken; it has the lock, but the price was too good. I will remove and plug the lock anyway. I told them I'd buy it for the price out the door, and they went with it (I have bought a ton from them).
BTW, I have my Ruger sold to a guy in Huntsville and he's picking it up tomorrow, so all worked out great.
Here's a cruddy cell pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/629.jpg

I checked the frame, and everything looks great. They have a gunsmith check out all there weapons.
I am going to clean it up a bit more tonight. Is there a way to smooth out superficial scratches on the satin finish? Gonna need pointers from you hand canon pros.

Bawanna
08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Very nice. Don't lose sleep over that lock. You'll hardly notice it after awhile.

My son has the 4" Mtn Gun 629 with the key. Never had an issue but I never let him put the key in it either.

Good looking gun, I see lots of good times for you in the future.

recoilguy
08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Nice weapon! You did great on that deal!!!

RCG

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I am going to clean it up a bit more tonight. Is there a way to smooth out superficial scratches on the satin finish? Gonna need pointers from you hand canon pros.

Congrats!
I own a 629 Classic Hunter, (That Bawanna has good taste:D)
And a matching 686 Classic Hunter. Both have unfluted cylinders, are limited editions and both bought new by me about 20 yrs ago. You will love your new Smith!

As for the scratches, you may want to try Flitz. I did both my Classic Hunters with it just because I liked the slightly more polished look and it also leaves a wax like smooth easy to clean finish on it. I didn't have any scratches and I did it a long time ago, but I bet it will work for you.

Here is an indoor and outdoor pic for you to see what the Flitz job looks like.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/ClassicHunters233.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/ClassicHunters33.jpg

getsome
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Thats great, congrats...for scratchs use some metal polishing compound like flitz, wenol or Mothers who makes a great polishing compound you can find at any auto parts store and if that doesn't get um out some super fine black automotive wet/dry sandpaper like 1400-2000 grit along with the polishing compound will do the trick...I have one of those foam cone shaped things made by Mothers that you chuck into a drill to polish mag wheels that works on stainless guns as well...You can also buy different grade/grits of 3M Scotch Bright pads at an auto parts store or an auto paint/body shop supply place that works great on stainless...I didn't like the laser etching on the barrel that says 629 classic so I removed it using the sand paper and water and then polished it up with wenol...Now the whole gun looks almost like it's nickel plated....Now that you have your new hand cannon we got to get you to handloading some target ammo for it...I have fired a couple boxes of full power magnum rounds and the rubber grips soak up most of the shock but you know you have shot something substantial but I load 8 grains of either Unique of my favorite, Universal Clays using a 240 grain jacketed bullet and it's a cream puff round you can shoot all day long.....Hope you enjoy your new Smitty and let us know how it shoots....

les strat
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Congrats!
I own a 629 Classic Hunter, (That Bawanna has good taste:D)
And a matching 686 Classic Hunter. Both have unfluted cylinders, are limited editions and both bought new by me about 20 yrs ago. You will love your new Smith!

As for the scratches, you may want to try Flitz. I did both my Classic Hunters with it just because I liked the slightly more polished look and it also leaves a wax like smooth easy to clean finish on it. I didn't have any scratches and I did it a long time ago, but I bet it will work for you.

Here is an indoor and outdoor pic for you to see what the Flitz job looks like.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/ClassicHunters233.jpg
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/ClassicHunters33.jpg

Nice!

My grips (Hogue) are bulging at the top near the hammer. Is that normal?

les strat
08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thats great, congrats...for scratchs use some metal polishing compound like flitz, wenol or Mothers who makes a great polishing compound you can find at any auto parts store and if that doesn't get um out some super fine black automotive wet/dry sandpaper like 1400-2000 grit along with the polishing compound will do the trick...I have one of those foam cone shaped things made by Mothers that you chuck into a drill to polish mag wheels that works on stainless guns as well...You can also buy different grade/grits of 3M Scotch Bright pads at an auto parts store or an auto paint/body shop supply place that works great on stainless...I didn't like the laser etching on the barrel that says 629 classic so I removed it using the sand paper and water and then polished it up with wenol...Now the whole gun looks almost like it's nickel plated....Now that you have your new hand cannon we got to get you to handloading some target ammo for it...I have fired a couple boxes of full power magnum rounds and the rubber grips soak up most of the shock but you know you have shot something substantial but I load 8 grains of either Unique of my favorite, Universal Clays using a 240 grain jacketed bullet and it's a cream puff round you can shoot all day long.....Hope you enjoy your new Smitty and let us know how it shoots....

Thanks for the info!

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't have any bulging on my grips??? Maybe shoot a pic of what you are seeing and then I can compare.

TheTman
08-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Congrats on a great purchase. I think you're gonna be real happy with that, and it's just like money in the bank, and should only increase in value. I think I paid $630 for mine new back in 90-something, it's pre-lock so I believe that adds a lot of value. It's the best target pistol I have with the right loads. And I don't think I could part with it. Not for less than $1000 at least. It's just money in the bank to me, and kept in a safe and rarely shot anymore. Take it out and clean and oil it a couple times a year and thats about it. It does have a light wear ring around the cylinder, that is the only imperfection on it. I still wonder why yours went so cheap. The picture shows it's a nice looking gun, very practical for trail use. I think you got a great deal.
I forgot that everyone is looking for a CCW these days, and that is definetely not a very concealable gun, so perhaps it wasn't moving so they put a good price on it to get it out the door.

les strat
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Congrats on a great purchase. I think you're gonna be real happy with that, and it's just like money in the bank, and should only increase in value. I think I paid $630 for mine new back in 90-something, it's pre-lock so I believe that adds a lot of value. It's the best target pistol I have with the right loads. And I don't think I could part with it. Not for less than $1000 at least. It's just money in the bank to me, and kept in a safe and rarely shot anymore. Take it out and clean and oil it a couple times a year and thats about it. It does have a light wear ring around the cylinder, that is the only imperfection on it. I still wonder why yours went so cheap. The picture shows it's a nice looking gun, very practical for trail use. I think you got a great deal.
I forgot that everyone is looking for a CCW these days, and that is definetely not a very concealable gun, so perhaps it wasn't moving so they put a good price on it to get it out the door.

They sell their used stuff pretty cheap. They push new guns more this gun shop and do not keep much in the way of used. It's a pretty cool store to be an indepenantly owned GS.

les strat
08-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't have any bulging on my grips??? Maybe shoot a pic of what you are seeing and then I can compare.

Sure will when I get home. Boss might not like me bringing in a big honkin .44 and plopping it on the desk :typing::59:

getsome
08-26-2011, 03:08 PM
As for the bulging of the grips I think I know what you are talking about... Mine did it and now when ever I remove the grip for cleaning I take a real strong rubber band or you could use tape or even squeeze the upper tang part in a padded vice together over night and when you put the grip back on the gun the gap between the rubber and the gun frame will be tight...At least I think thats what you are talking about....:yo:

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Sure will when I get home. Boss might not like me bringing in a big honkin .44 and plopping it on the desk :typing::59:

OK, Probably not a good idea at work:D

You could try just giving him your best Clint impression, and Just look at him with teeth clinched and squinty eye's and say..."What's it going be punk, This is a 44 magnum and it will blow your head clean off..." Now go back to your office;)

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
This is the only pic I have that's already taken and in my photo albums that show's the rear grip's area. Does it help? If not I can get them out and take a new pic.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/BeardogV1/P902063233.jpg

les strat
08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
OK, Probably not a good idea at work:D

You could try just giving him your best Clint impression, and Just look at him with teeth clinched and squinty eye's and say..."What's it going be punk, This is a 44 magnum and it will blow your head clean off..." Now go back to your office;)

Umm.... her ;)

Here's what I am talking about

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/IMG_6244.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/IMG_6243.jpg

When cleaning it, I took the grips off and put them back on. Still the same. The "scratches" were actually goo, lol. I wish all scratches went away with Hopps #9 :p

Man, what a great trigger this thing has. Can't be more than 3 lb. single action.

mr surveyor
08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
wow... what a pos....the grip looks terrible....and you just think the scratches were nothing but goo.....

I'll give you $200 for it, just for a parts gun.....send pm and I'll forward my ffl's info here at Stumpwater....I could go as much as $225 out of charity:D

surv

(oh...congrats:))

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Les,
I just looked at mine and they both are fitted tight and flush to the back strap. I notice from your pic that your back strap is different from mine.

I am not familiar with the new "lock", is it under the grip? Is it possible it is interfering with the grip fit?

Yes the single action break is fantastic! I have never gauged mine but I would be surprised if it is even 3# closer to 2# I bet, and no creep.

Do you reload? I use to load real light 38 spl. round for my wife and with the Nikon scope and the gun rested she use to just tear the bullseye out of targets out at 25-50 yds. Great fun. Neither of my Smiths have ever had any factory loaded ammo in them, all my reloads. I use a 225 gr H.C. lead head for the 44 target loads, I load it to mid velocities, and for full power magnum loads I use H110 and Sierra JHP's
ENJOY!:)

Barth
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I am not familiar with the new "lock", is it under the grip? Is it possible it is interfering with the grip fit?:)

My 629-2 is from 1989 and my 342 ti is 2001 (or there about - LOL).
Anyway, this whole lock thingy is new and disturbing to me.
I think it's an internal lock with a key hole visible just over the cylinder release lever?
Bawanna calls it an ignition key - LOL.

I don't think it has anything to do with how grips fit though...

les strat
08-26-2011, 07:11 PM
wow... what a pos....the grip looks terrible....and you just think the scratches were nothing but goo.....

I'll give you $200 for it, just for a parts gun.....send pm and I'll forward my ffl's info here at Stumpwater....I could go as much as $225 out of charity:D

surv

(oh...congrats:))

LOL, thanks. I'll just take the $225 as charity. You can write it off your taxes as supporting a gun junkie.:D

Les,
I just looked at mine and they both are fitted tight and flush to the back strap. I notice from your pic that your back strap is different from mine.

I am not familiar with the new "lock", is it under the grip? Is it possible it is interfering with the grip fit?

Yes the single action break is fantastic! I have never gauged mine but I would be surprised if it is even 3# closer to 2# I bet, and no creep.

Do you reload? I use to load real light 38 spl. round for my wife and with the Nikon scope and the gun rested she use to just tear the bullseye out of targets out at 25-50 yds. Great fun. Neither of my Smiths have ever had any factory loaded ammo in them, all my reloads. I use a 225 gr H.C. lead head for the 44 target loads, I load it to mid velocities, and for full power magnum loads I use H110 and Sierra JHP's
ENJOY!:)

No it's not under the grip... it's tied closer to the hammer. It seems some of the rigid parts of the grip are binding on the frame under the grip. I can always buy another grip! I know I'd like the rubber to absorb recoil, but man some nice rosewood, ebony, or oher exotic wood would look sweet.

Nah, never gotten into reloading... yet! That's all I need another hobby where I have to buy a lot of stuff!!!

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 07:38 PM
My 629-2 is from 1989 and my 342 ti is 2001 (or there about - LOL).
Anyway, this whole lock thingy is new and disturbing to me.
I think it's an internal lock with a key hole visible just over the cylinder release lever?
Bawanna calls it an ignition key - LOL.

I don't think it has anything to do with how grips fit though...

Gotcha thanks. Agreed, I don't understand why they would put a lock "in" the revolver? Just include a dang pad/cable lock to keep the lawyers happy and keep making some of the finest revolvers made.

LOL, thanks. I'll just take the $225 as charity. You can write it off your taxes as supporting a gun junkie.:D

No it's not under the grip... it's tied closer to the hammer. It seems some of the rigid parts of the grip are binding on the frame under the grip. I can always buy another grip! I know I'd like the rubber to absorb recoil, but man some nice rosewood, ebony, or oher exotic wood would look sweet.

Nah, never gotten into reloading... yet! That's all I need another hobby where I have to buy a lot of stuff!!!

Yes a set of wood grips would look sweet, I just loved the Classic hunters when I first seen them just the way they are, and that grip feels so perfect in my hand, I never even looked at getting other grips for them.

Reloading for magnum revolvers would pay for itself fairly quick me think's...Just saying:D

les strat
08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Reloading for magnum revolvers would pay for itself fairly quick me think's...Just saying:D

I might have to get some pointers from you on buying used equipment and what I'd need. I'm clueless.

mr surveyor
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
others will laugh, but if you buy a decent powder scale, priming tool, micrometer, bullet puller, plastic faced hammer and a couple of other odds and ends you would need regardless of how much other reloading equipment you buy, you can start out with a Lee Classic Loader for very small volume work. I probably wouldn't shoot a box of 50 of the 44 mag in a trip anyway, so a couple of hours total in brass management and reloading time wouldn't be a deal killer building those high dollar rounds the slow way. I've hammered out quite a few .357 mag rounds for pretty cheap this year myself:D

edit to add: RELOADING MANUAL(S) FIRST ON THE LIST!

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I might have to get some pointers from you on buying used equipment and what I'd need. I'm clueless.

Sure, let me know when you want to talk shop.:D

A quick scan of two catalogs laying here on my coffee table, Midway and Natchez, shows a Lee kit for like $99.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=121744&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-121744

Add a set of carbide dies $25 and a caliper $20 could get you going for $150ish for brand new stuff... Need a reloading manual too I guess... although today with the internet I guess you may be able to find info/load data online. I like my old school Lyman manual though. :cool:

les strat
08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow. I did not know it was that affordable. At $30-50 a box for .44 mag, It sure would pay for itself in a hurry.

BEARDOG
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Here is the Lyman kit I started with...It was a bit cheaper 20ish yrs ago
I added a Lee hand primer(highly recommend this) and a vib. bowl, calipers, and of coarse dies. Still use it everytime I reload, it's in great shape and don't see any need for anything more.(someday I will spring for an electronic scale)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=305282

If you end up buying anything from midway I can give you some codes for discounts.

les strat
08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Here is the Lyman kit I started with...It was a bit cheaper 20ish yrs ago
I added a Lee hand primer(highly recommend this) and a vib. bowl, calipers, and of coarse dies. Still use it everytime I reload, it's in great shape and don't see any need for anything more.(someday I will spring for an electronic scale)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=305282

If you end up buying anything from midway I can give you some codes for discounts.

My wife says for me to stop talking with you!

Just kidding. Definitley something I would like to do and will read more about. My range trips are costing me about $50 a trip as is.

TheTman
08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Here are a couple pics of my safe queen 629-4 Classic. It's the most accurate revolver I've ever shot. It used to put 5 holes in one big ragged hole from a sandbag at 25 yards, with a flyer shooting single action. Tried to find if one chamber was off, but I think it was just me. I can't shoot anywhere near that well anymore. I bought it for a pistol competition, but I didn't know they made you shoot double action if when possible, so it didn't work out so well, and used my 1911 instead. Anyway, It's going to my son when I pass on, and hope he values it as much as I do.
http://kartalk.pccomps.com/629-4s1.jpghttp://kartalk.pccomps.com/629-4s2.jpg

les strat
08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Here are a couple pics of my safe queen 629-4 Classic. It's the most accurate revolver I've ever shot. It used to put 5 holes in one big ragged hole from a sandbag at 25 yards, with a flyer shooting single action. Tried to find if one chamber was off, but I think it was just me. I can't shoot anywhere near that well anymore. I bought it for a pistol competition, but I didn't know they made you shoot double action if when possible, so it didn't work out so well, and used my 1911 instead. Anyway, It's going to my son when I pass on, and hope he values it as much as I do.
http://kartalk.pccomps.com/629-4s1.jpghttp://kartalk.pccomps.com/629-4s2.jpg
Very nice! Is that the 6" or 8 3/8" barrel?

I guarantee you my 629 will be a better shooter than I am. I can tear the center out of a target at 100 yds with a long rifle but can only get COM at SD ranges with most pistols. We'll see how I do with the .44 soon. I got some PMC-made "eRange" ammo for the range. Never heard of it.

TheTman
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Thats a 6" barrel. I used to be a real good shot, growing up on the farm and everything, But I've sure lost a lot over the years. Back then I could see the front sight of the target at 25 yards, now all I see is a blur if I focus on the front sight. I was going to be the captain of the ROTC shooting team, but dropped out of college instead. They had my target hanging on the wall for a long time as an example of the kind of shooting they wanted. Now if it doesn't have a scope, forget it.

I always kind of wanted one of those with a 4" barrel to clear leather a little faster. But since the most dangerous game around here is feral dogs, I didn't figure I needed it that bad.

MW surveyor
08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
les

With the price of 44 ammo, it sure would not take long for you to recoup the cost of a single stage loading outfit. Or even a turret if you also start reloading for your other guns!

I started reloading last year for my 38 and 357, then branched out to 9 mm and finally for the 45. Repaid for the equipment pretty fast.

TheTman
08-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I have a Lee single stage press with dies for 45 and 44 mag/special. I was able to work up some very nice low recoil 44 mag loads that were very accurate. Just a little more punch than a .44 special but way more accurate. That single stage is slow going, but if you have the time you can save some money. Just becareful you don't make a squib load with now powder in it. I did that once, couldve have ruined that 629 if I hadn't been paying attention.

les strat
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds like I know what to ask Santa for this year! Being the person I am, I have to study up on it so I will have a clue prior to getting it.

TheTman
08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes, it's very important to know what you are doing so you make a mistake that will destroy your gun. I was amazed at a photo I saw of a 629 that had been reloaded with brass that had a crack in it. It totally blew the top stap off the gun and blew the cylinder wide open, the gun was totally trashed except for maybe the barrel. There is a lot you have to be aware of and be prepared to throw away brass that looks questionable, better safe than sorry. The brass has a limited life span of 3 - 5 shots, (I THINK, the more experienced can tell you for sure). It is interesting to make your own custom loads and see how little things can affect the accuracy of your weapon. Since I quit competing I'm not going through the ammo like I was, so I've been content to buy off the shelf. I put my reloading notebook up someplace where I wouldn't lose it, and of course I can't find it now, or I'd let you know the target load that worked so well in my 629. Pretty sure it was a 240 gr. lead semi wad cutter, but no idea what powder and how much. I'm thinking HS6 was the powder, it was useful for both the 44 and the .45, but no idea how much I used. That was over 10 years ago so not really sure about any of that. The 240 gr bullet, and HS6 seem to jump out though. Seems like maybe the powder was a compromise to work in both .44 and 45, but did ok in both.

BEARDOG
08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
My wife says for me to stop talking with you!

Just kidding. Definitley something I would like to do and will read more about. My range trips are costing me about $50 a trip as is.

Sounds like I know what to ask Santa for this year! Being the person I am, I have to study up on it so I will have a clue prior to getting it.

Tell your wife I am really a great guy... really:angel:

Take your time read up on it, and ask questions if you have any...In the mean time save all your brass and take any 1x fired brass offered from others...It's like gold to a reloader.
Just don't collect strange stuff as you don't know how many times it has been reloaded.(this is good advice for some other things too:D)