PDA

View Full Version : Left handed issue with PM45

Smucatelli
09-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Put the first 100 rounds through my new PM45. Since I'm left handed the casings are ejected at the right side of my head. I now have several red welts on my forehead. Is there a way to easily modify the weapon so I'm not catching brass with my head? Other than that it's a great little gun. I have several full size 45s and this isn't an issue.

Bawanna
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
It could just be the toss angle but with my PM45 even though I am normal (had to give ya the left hand jab) it still hits me if I gets the slightest bit lax on my grip.
If your getting hit consistently every shot from start of session to end then you might have to try and tweak the extractor to toss the empties a little different.
I think there was a thread awhile back about that subject. I know we chatted about 1911's extractors.

OldLincoln
09-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't shoot left handed, even don't practicer weak hand as I should, but....

You might try angling the ejection side down somewhat. Like a small gangsta grip. It's really natural and better to move the impact of recoil into your elbow instead of wrist.

If you stick your arm out like holding a gun you will see your wrist angles away from the forearm. That's how most are taught to shoot but there's a better way as this puts stress on the wrist when shooting.

So, while holding your arm out rotate your thumb down until the wrist is straight. From here the force is not on the wrist but straight back to the elbow which is better equipped to handle it. A benefit is the ejector slot angles more downward and may clear the head.

As a righty, when I angle my arm I encourage cases to smack he in the face. Perhaps like a manly ritual of ripping out chest hair I just ignore it and keep shooting. I also discovered those hot ones down the neck aren't so bad when they stop burning.

CJB
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I think you'll find, as springs get looser - as they should during a bit more shooting - your cases will be flying better and more outward rather than backward.

wyntrout
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
After my first outing with mine, I started wearing my Kahr cap with the bill as low as possible... and eye protection is a MUST. When I related the story about my "love taps", someone suggested one of those stick-on panty-liner thingies that women use.

Wynn:)

Smucatelli
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I really like the panty liner idea. It's practical, inexpensive and can be purchased at any convenience store. And, who's going to give you crap about it when you're holding a loaded 45. However, I'm hoping that just putting a few hundred more rounds through it will do the trick. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

CJB
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
After my first outing with mine, I started wearing my Kahr cap with the bill as low as possible... and eye protection is a MUST. When I related the story about my "love taps", someone suggested one of those stick-on panty-liner thingies that women use.

Ok, I'm lost... the panty liner is for... the eyes? You cover your eyes with 'em? Or just the forehead? You wear it on the cap? In the cap? As a sweatband? Or do apply it to the gun? Or, wear it in the normal spot, as so designated?

And the big question(s) - plain or fragrance type? Regular, light or super-soaky? Wings or straight? This is too complex for a Y chromosome carried like moi......way too complex.

Scoundrel
09-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I've trained myself to ignore the brass. It goes down my shirt, knocks me on the head, goes into my pockets, etc. I fish them out later.

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 01:25 AM
The first time I shot my PM45, I got whacked in the head a lot. I went shopping at Walmart afterwards for about half an hour. When I got home, I looked in the mirror and I had little black marks all over my forehead! There's no telling what other people thought. That's when I made a point of wearing a cap with the bill as low as possible.
My PM45 doesn't do that so much anymore... but it has had 3 slides and a new frame... "Franken-Boomer". It works fine now and I can hold it any old way... loose and one-handed without any FTF or FTE, which is what I need in an EDC... to fire however I'm holding it, repeatedly!

I think the panty liner was supposed to be plastered on the forehead. :D

I can see something like the headband the Japanese Kamikazi pilots wore... without the red ball.

Wynn:D

CJB
09-07-2011, 05:27 AM
I think the panty liner was supposed to be plastered on the forehead.

That is just so wrong, in so many ways.... at the range I mean.

Bawanna
09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I've trained myself to ignore the brass. It goes down my shirt, knocks me on the head, goes into my pockets, etc. I fish them out later.

I find brass all over the place weeks later. In my little front and back packs, down in my seat cushion, foot rest, all over. I find where it's fallen off the chair in the van, stuff gets everywhere.

pappy42
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm a lefty and I don't have a problem with the brass hitting me once the pistol (PM45) was broken in.

wyntrout
09-07-2011, 10:31 AM
If you ever have a malfunction and drop the magazine and wind up shooting the chambered round, it will fall down the mag well and if you catch it, you'll realize that's not a good thing to do... catching fresh, HOT brass! :eek: It only took milliseconds to figure that out the first time I did that.

Jeff00042
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
If you're going to put a panty liner on your forehead you may need a loaded gun.

OldLincoln
09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Picture a SWAT team all with panty liners on their foreheads busting down a door and rushing into a bunch of bad guys! The bad guys would be so distracted they'd give up.

Bawanna
09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Picture a SWAT team all with panty liners on their foreheads busting down a door and rushing into a bunch of bad guys! The bad guys would be so distracted they'd give up.

Picture the poor SWAT members in the feminine hygiene department looking for "Tactical" panty liners! Awkward.

I should tell my bag balm story. I'll do that over in the Sept Loose Thoughts, don't want to break tradition and get off topic like that ever happens.

DubDubU
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
don't forget the earplugs with the string.