PDA

View Full Version : MK9 guide rod replacement question

ORSalesRep
09-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Hi Barth,

I saw the following posted by Barth with instructions on how to change the MK9's factory guide rod with a stainless guide rod:

>>>>Yup, double springs and a sleeve.
1) Cut the old rod "carefully - it's under pressure".
2) Unscrew the cap off the stainless guide rod.
3) Put the old springs and sleeve on the new guide rod.
4) Apply loctite to the cap.
5) Compress springs and tighten cap.
6) Reassemble gun.
7) Wait 24 hours before firing.<<<<<

Can anyone please let me know what I use to cut the original guide rod with and where on the rod I actually make the cut? Also, what kind of loctite should I use?

I was also thinking about changing the Recoil Springs and striker spring with Wolff Springs. Even though the trigger is awesome, I was considering going to the 5lb striker spring to further improve trigger pull, but I am not sure which weight Guide Rod spring I should go with or if I ever should change it/ What are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

kahrseye
09-07-2011, 06:55 AM
You can cut it with a pair of wire cutters, it's just plastic. Cut it near one of the ends and have it pointed down toward your work bench and toward a corner in case something flies off. Make note of how it was assembled. I think you can use red or blue loctite. I don't remember what I used on mine.

Bawanna
09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Kahr springs are Wolff springs so it doesn't matter weather you buy from Kahr or Wolff, your getting the same spring.

The 5# striker spring is a good thing. I would not mess with the trigger spring, all it is is a return spring and you don't even want to go there unless you like puzzles.

I dont remember my loctite colors but you want the good permanant stuff. Red I think. You don't want that nut coming off.

The people who answer the phone are real smart on spring applications. I had a guy call for me a couple weeks ago about a recoil spring for a Kimber and the gal had the answer right on the spot, didn't even have to look. And it was right incidently.

wayneo1
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Your right Red is the one, blue if you want to take it off. When you get done I like to know what you think of the metal over the plastic.