PDA

View Full Version : Lost faith in my Kahr

ultratec1
09-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Well I should have knocked on wood when I said that my CW45 shot great and I had not had any problems.

I went to shoot some of my reloads the other day and my gun would only shoot one round then jam. It would kick the empty casing out but would not feed another round. I thought that maybe it was my reloads in that gun since my reloads work amazing in my XD. SOoooooo I grab my winchester SXZ's that I carry and the samething, fire one but wouldnt chamber another. I tried federal and winchester white box with both the same effects. Needless to say I went home disgusted and put the Kahr away.

Now lets fast forward. I give the Kahr another shot only this time I tear the gun apart and oil everything down real good and put it back together. I insert the magazine, release the slide, aim, pull the trigger............nothing. Just a click. I drop the mag eject the round and inspect the primer. No primer strike. So I insert the mag once again release the slide, slide goes forward chambers the round, squeeze the trigger and once again nothing. I try this a 3rd time and the round goes off but like before it fails to feed another round.

I called Kahr and told them about what was going on and I get a response of " ya that is a common problem, just send it in through your FFL and we will get it taken care of."

How in the hell is this a "common" problem???? Even when/ if this thing ever gets fixed I will NEVER EVER carry it due to the lack of trust I now have for this thing. You would think that will all the problems you see on here with the CW series and the P380 Kahr would stop, sit back and try to think of a better way to produce their product.

Sorry but I'm not a Kahr fan any longer.

Dietrich
09-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Hopefully,when you get it back it will be fixed.Then,you will be able to trade/sell it and you won`t have to worry about sticking some poor schmuck with a gun that don`t work.

jocko
09-10-2011, 05:36 AM
don't u send it back call kahr and ask for eion or Jay and explain the issue. I think you have an out of spec trigger bar but never the leass they should issue a pre paid pick up on the gun. INSIST. they will do it.

It is not a common problem but when that problem like urs comes up it is normally one thing that causes it, maybe that is what he was referring to. hard tellng. I understand ur loss of faith, get thegun fixed, then you decide if u want topeddle it, can't blame u if u do, once u loose faith in ANYTHING it is best to get ride ofit. (did that withthe first wife) i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OF THE MND SET THAT IF i LIKE A GUN. I. E. KAHR ANDIT GAVE ISSUES, i WOULD GIVE IT ONE TRIP BACKTO GET RIGHT AND THEN AFTER THAT IF IT ACTUS UP. it is gone. WHAT YOU DECIDE TODO IS YOUR call tomake as u know, we cvan o nly assist. I wo't beat the kahr drums here on that. I love my kahrs but I also understand ur feeling, just rememvber one thing, all guns can give issues. Kahrs are not ecempt fromissues, neither is glocks, sigs, Rugers, It happens, they are made by machine and man, Think it over aftreru getit back , right now I can see your feelings are on ur sleever, maybe in a few weeks, u might mellow some. if not PEDDLE IT AND MOVE ON to what pleases u.

no matter what you do, please don't peddle a bad gun off to a dealer, now some will say how in the how do u not peddle off a bad gun if you donm't shoot it to see if it works or not. GOODQESTION. In ur case if you have decided to peddle the gun, when it comes back, DON'T SHOOT IT take it to a dealer and trade it, then in good conscious you can feel that it was fixed at the factory and you peddled it when it came back, as like buying a new gun..

apdturbo
09-10-2011, 06:31 AM
sorry to hear that, XD's do eat anything but so does a properly functioning kahr, get it fixed, give it hell and have a forgiving heart. to me a proper fix is worth it for the carriability of a kahr.

Bill K
09-10-2011, 06:48 AM
I can understand your current feeling towards Kahrs in general and your CW45 in particular. Whether its people or things that let you down it takes a lot of time and effort to have your faith restored.

My first Kel-Tec P3AT was a real problem child. It had 4-5 issues out of the box and took a few parts and months of time to get up and running 100%. Once I got that first P3AT working I liked it so much a bought a second. The second one was used effectively to get myself out of a very nasty situation.

I know some Kahrs are not without their share of issues but you get one running 100% and you've got one awesome SD tool - whichever model you choose.

harrydog
09-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Good advice from jocko. If you don't have confidence in a gun, you shouldn't carry it. Some people will invest lots of time and effort into fixing issues they have with a particular gun before they give up on it and others will get rid of it immediately. Everyone is different so do what you feel you need to do. There are plenty of guns out there (although none quite like the Kahr) so find what you like and be happy.
But don't knowingly sell an unreliable gun to someone else without full disclosure.

knkali
09-10-2011, 09:11 AM
get it fixed run 400 rnds through it. If it hiccups once-**** can it

CJB
09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
p m 45 seems like shorter rounds not longer. I am wondering what the bevel on the slide looks like. A the recoil spring gets weaker the bevel becomes more important. And of course the trigger bar issue....all fixable. Dont sweat it too much, just get it fixed.

deadhead1971
09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I feel your pain. My "new" Kimber is back at Yonkers to be "fixed." There is not one manufacturer that does not have folks sending them guns back due to issues.

jocko
09-10-2011, 07:17 PM
om my, u mean kimbers also can give issues. I thought it was only kahrs and kel tec's. I had a dandy Para carry 9 that went back 3 times before I could get it reliable enough to peddle it. I loved that lda trigger in that gun, it was my first (and last) 1911 style gun to. Just didnt work out right for me. A super trigger just does no good if the gun doesn't go bang when u pull it.

Sold guns for 40+ years and I seem to recall sending back every fokking Jenning J-22 and 380 that I sold, course I recall a Firestone tire dealer who had a busness about 6 blocks from my place who just went broke trying to take care of all the bad Firestone 500's back then to. Most of u younger guys have no clue what I am talking about , but the ol timers certainly do...

beans
09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
om my, u mean kimbers also can give issues. I thought it was only kahrs and kel tec's. I had a dandy Para carry 9 that went back 3 times before I could get it reliable enough to peddle it. I loved that lda trigger in that gun, it was my first (and last) 1911 style gun to. Just didnt work out right for me. A super trigger just does no good if the gun doesn't go bang when u pull it.

Sold guns for 40+ years and I seem to recall sending back every fokking Jenning J-22 and 380 that I sold, course I recall a Firestone tire dealer who had a busness about 6 blocks from my place who just went broke trying to take care of all the bad Firestone 500's back then to. Most of u younger guys have no clue what I am talking about , but the ol timers certainly do...

I still stay away from Firestone tires :eek:

MikeyKahr
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Firestone 500? Never heard of it, don't you mean Indy 500? An Indy guy like you should know better! :-P

Sent using Tapatalk

sidekick
09-10-2011, 09:54 PM
There is ONE GUN that will never, and I mean NEVER give a reliability problem, will function perfect every time, and is accurate as heck. H&K P7M8. Ask an owner...the thing sometimes will feed a full mag of empty cases. Amazing pistol.

PattayaPistol
09-11-2011, 05:24 AM
There is ONE GUN that will never, and I mean NEVER give a reliability problem, will function perfect every time, and is accurate as heck. H&K P7M8. Ask an owner...the thing sometimes will feed a full mag of empty cases. Amazing pistol.

It's back to Park Cities Tactical for you sidekick :D. I do hope there is some truth in what you say because after a 2 year search for one here in Thailand, there is a P7M8 being held for me until I get back from the rig. Last time I located one, the buyer decided not to sell, as I was driving to Bangkok to buy it. I can't blame him for that. This time I will be lucky.

I do have one gun (not a Kahr) in which I have no faith in it being anything but a single shot. I can't seem to get it reliable. As such I cannot sell it and use it as a training gun. I can be sure I will have 2 or 3 FTE's every 100 rounds and it keeps me on my toes.

PP

jocko
09-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Firestone 500? Never heard of it, don't you mean Indy 500? An Indy guy like you should know better! :-P

Sent using Tapatalk

FIRESTONE 500 was the name of oneof Firestone premier tires and back then every one of them went bad, belts broke like they were paper (also back then Michelin's did the same thing) I owned a Tire business and changed thousands of Firestone 500'
s that they would not warranty, so me they did,most they did not and dealers in Firestone, many just damnnear folded for people went elsewhere. It took alot of years before it was ever solved,course Firestone after that was bought out by Bridgestone. No relation of Fireston 500 to Indy 500. yup ur maybe toyoung to remember that tire problem back thenj..

MW surveyor
09-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I had those POS tires. :32: Will never buy S**tstone tires again.

Mainly because Firestone knew they had a problem and would not make it right. Lousy bstrds.

jocko
09-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I had those POS tires. :32: Will never buy S**tstone tires again.

Mainly because Firestone knew they had a problem and would not make it right. Lousy bstrds.

they certainly did know of it and they paid the price for it to. course so did the owners. Ford motor company who was mainly all firestone backthen really paid the price for it..:32: Trust me Michelin was no better of a tire back then. bigt time trobles with michelin, oly difference was back then Michelin was never original equipment on american cars or trucks, so thier same prob lems basicaly went unnotieced,but we tire dealers seen it alot.

O'Dell
09-11-2011, 10:08 AM

I'll extend that to just about all HK's. I've never had anything but perfection from any of mine.

Also the 3rd gen S&W are pretty much the same. I've done the mag of empty cases with a couple of 45's and it always worked.

TheTman
09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I made out like a bandit on that Firestone recall, I had those on my Explorer, and they were due to be replaced when I get a recal letter on the tires, so I take the Explorer in, and get 5 Free new tires, spare included, to replace the old Firestones that had very little tread left. I think they put Goodyears on it.

I just put a set of Firestones on my little Hyundai, so far they've been ok. I went with them as they were the best priced in that size. It came with Hankook tires, that didn't last 25,000 miles. I think I might have got 27,000 if I'd rotated them on time. Oh well, my brother got a couple trailer tires out of the deal.

jocko
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
today there is no belt problem with any tire company. We sold Goodyear for 69 years and they had very few problems back then. lucky I guess..

Jim K
10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Quote:
no matter what you do, please don't peddle a bad gun off to a dealer, now some will say how in the how do u not peddle off a bad gun if you donm't shoot it to see if it works or not. GOODQESTION. In ur case if you have decided to peddle the gun, when it comes back, DON'T SHOOT IT take it to a dealer and trade it, then in good conscious you can feel that it was fixed at the factory and you peddled it when it came back, as like buying a new gun..

Yeah, pretend you're selling a working firearm. Works if you have no conscience, know what I mean?
I wish there was a lemon law for firearms.

jdcjr
10-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Any weapon can have mechanical issues. I have seen them on Springfields, Glocks, S&W, Sigs, Kimbers, ect. Most of them don't have issues but unfortunately you only hear about the ones that do. Get it fixed and move on, more than likely, it will never fail again.

rkirk
10-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I say have Kahr fix or replace the pistol. They make a quality firearm. Give it another chance. I have two Kahr pistols and luckily they have been flawless. Well I did have a few issues during the first few magazines but after 20+ rounds they both ran like a rocket. I have a CW9 and a CM9. I really like and carry them.

-- Richard

yatyas42
10-16-2011, 11:07 PM

I would have to disagree. Although P7 and M11 are great guns, they have their problems too. About 12 guys I know use them as their duty weapon, and they are maintained by a certified HK armorer. There has been two guys this year who's P7 have fired on their own. The first time was at the range, and when he went to re-holster, he let go of the decocker, and the P7 fired a round 2 inches from his foot, sending concrete into another guys face (eye pro was on luckily). We duplicated this involuntary firing multiple times with that P7, and one other. It was caused by a broken spring somewhere in that overly complicated decocking mechanism. No one type of gun is flawless. Obvioisly, all guns have been checked thoroughly since.

yatyas42
10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
To Ultratec1, my CW9 is at Kahr rite now, hopefully on its way back. That being said, when it gets back I will put it through it's paces, but to me if it is fixed it's fixed. I can see loosing trust in a weapon, as I too have with my CW, but I would say that if I put several hundred rounds through it, and it's flawless, that trust can be earned again.