PDA

View Full Version : CM9 - Guide Rod Spring Scratching Guide Rod

CSmither896
09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Hello,

I bought a new CM9 today. In the process of disassembling it, when I went to remove the guide rod spring, I had to twist it to get it off, and noticed the closed coil end of the spring is digging into the guide rod itself and cutting it up.

I have attached some images showing the cuts.

My gun dealer was able to take apart another one he had there at the shop and stated his gun was doing the same thing.

Is this normal for this gun? Is this something I should be worried about? I was going to call Kahr support on Monday.

Thank you!

jaydee
09-10-2011, 07:37 PM
My CW9 spring was tight too, but I like it that way so it doesn't fall off when I take it apart. To keep it from digging in, I just ground down the cut end inside to remove the sharp barb left by the cutoff die. Now it still drags a little, but doesn't scratch.
JD

Bawanna
09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Pretty normal. The guide rods get beat up pretty good but its just cosmetic. I keep mine lubed a bit but otherwise ignore it.

CSmither896
09-10-2011, 10:11 PM
My CW9 spring was tight too, but I like it that way so it doesn't fall off when I take it apart. To keep it from digging in, I just ground down the cut end inside to remove the sharp barb left by the cutoff die. Now it still drags a little, but doesn't scratch.
JD

What did you use to grind it down?

jaydee
09-11-2011, 06:13 AM
A small stone on a Dremel tool, then 400 sandpaper on a stick.
JD

jocko
09-11-2011, 06:29 AM
probably could have just sanded that leading edge down. Some are very pointed that is for sure. U did a nice job. something never brought up before on this forum that I can recall.

Jon
09-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Hello,

I bought a new CM9 today. In the process of disassembling it, when I went to remove the guide rod spring, I had to twist it to get it off, and noticed the closed coil end of the spring is digging into the guide rod itself and cutting it up.

I have attached some images showing the cuts.

My gun dealer was able to take apart another one he had there at the shop and stated his gun was doing the same thing.

Is this normal for this gun? Is this something I should be worried about? I was going to call Kahr support on Monday.

Thank you!
My CM9 spring did exactly the same thing as yours and made the same pattern of deep spiral scratches on the guide. I think they wind that last coil of that closed end a little undersized and tight to keep it stuck where you put it. That also just about ensures you have to put it on the way it was intended to work. My gun just flat wont assemble if I get that spring turned around backwards on the guide.

I took a wood clothespin apart and used one piece as a wedge to spread the last coil away from the next to get a little working room. Then just used a very small fine cut file to remove the offending burr that was left over from when the wire was cut off. My work was a rather crude method compared to some of the options available with various tools and abrasives, but it seemed to work. My guide now has a nice covering of really small scratches all over it after 700 or so rounds fired, and I think all those fine scratches actually helps to hold the oil onto the guide a little better. Just to be clear, those fine scratches covering it all over now were not caused by the spring end but just normal movement of the parts during firing. It was always kept well lubed during this time, so I guess it's just the inside of the coils wearing on the guide outer surface. That part seems to stay the cleanest and best lubed of any where else on this pistol now. I sure do like this little gun now that I've worked out some of the kinks it had going on with help from here and Kahr CS.

Here's a little tip for ya: When you do finally get a live body on the line and Kahr CS guy suggests for you to try something to solve a problem, be willing to try it even if it seems goofy or "couldn't possibly have anything to do with my specific problem" ;)

jocko
09-18-2011, 06:35 AM
what ur seeing is normal, it should not hinder anything. The spring in time will also smooth out somewhat but the ring makrs on the guide rod are going tobe visible. That end tip if it is extremely pointed ans sharp, just get a small fine file aor some find sand paper and smooth that edge off.