PDA

View Full Version : I have a new to me MK9...

In-Yo-Grill
01-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I just recently acquired a MK9 and I wanted to know how I can find out how old the gun is by checking the serial number. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics of my addition to the Kahr collection...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/PC300003.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Fresh2Salt/My%20Guns/PC300004.jpg

500KV
01-02-2010, 06:00 AM
I just recently acquired a MK9 and I wanted to know how I can find out how old the gun is by checking the serial number. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here's a sticky in the Kahr Tech section that may help.

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/207-kahr-serial-number-history-wig19-glocktalk.html

hollander
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Congrats on the MK. Love mine and it goes everywhere with me.

zeitgeist
01-03-2010, 11:17 AM
You can e-mail call Kahr and they'll tell you when your gun was made.

In-Yo-Grill
01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
You can e-mail call Kahr and they'll tell you when your gun was made.

Thanks for the info. I e-mailed them and they already responded. The gun was quite a bit older than I expected. It was still in very good shape.

jocko
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I would have guessed it to be at leat 2+ years old, due to the slide lock lever. Over a year ago, kahr started to taper off the leading edge of the slide lock levers. One can do the same thing with a file or dremel if one desires to.

In-Yo-Grill
01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I would have guessed it to be at leat 2+ years old, due to the slide lock lever. Over a year ago, kahr started to taper off the leading edge of the slide lock levers. One can do the same thing with a file or dremel if one desires to.

I think I know what you are talking about. I did look at my P9 and noticed the slide release lever's were different between the two series.

According to the Kahr rep my gun's DOB is 10/30/1997. It's hard to believe it's going to be 13yrs old this October.

When did Kahr first start making guns?

In-Yo-Grill
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Pearce extensions in today. Not to mention an additional magazine. Already got them installed and just waiting for the night sights from Kahr.

jocko
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Pearce extensions in today. Not to mention an additional magazine. Already got them installed and just waiting for the night sights from Kahr.

very careful about taking out the factory sights. They are extremmely hard to even move let alone take out. If you don't have a sight pusher, don't
even try it. Let a smitty do it and ask him first if he has a sight pusher. If he does not , don't leave it there. Slides can be ruined by improperly sight extraction. Kahr sights are IMO the toughest sights to move on their factory guns. Some will just not move without one hell of a GOOD sight pusher.

I read a few years ago of a owner who posted on the THR that he ruined his slide trying to take the factory sights out. Have no idea what he meant by ruining the slide but that was his post. You have one nice kahr, don't chance it if in doubt..

In-Yo-Grill
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
very careful about taking out the factory sights. They are extremmely hard to even move let alone take out. If you don't have a sight pusher, don't
even try it. Let a smitty do it and ask him first if he has a sight pusher. If he does not , don't leave it there. Slides can be ruined by improperly sight extraction. Kahr sights are IMO the toughest sights to move on their factory guns. Some will just not move without one hell of a GOOD sight pusher.

I read a few years ago of a owner who posted on the THR that he ruined his slide trying to take the factory sights out. Have no idea what he meant by ruining the slide but that was his post. You have one nice kahr, don't chance it if in doubt..

That is one lesson I don't want to learn the hard way. I had a smitty install the last set on my P9 and he told me they were the hardest ones he's ever dealt with. Now I get to test his skills again on my MK9. New sights and a new recoil spring...It's on it's way to almost a total makeover...lol

In-Yo-Grill
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Got the night sights put on today. Can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can get out to the range again.

quikduk
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Which sights did you go with? I have been thinking about the XS Big Dots for both my MK9 and XD9sc. What experiences do the rest of you guys have with these sights?

TheSorb
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Your MK9 appears to have rubber grips. I just got my new MK9 last fall and it came with hard plastic grips. Does anyone know if the rubber grips are available to purchase?:confused:

jocko
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Your MK9 appears to have rubber grips. I just got my new MK9 last fall and it came with hard plastic grips. Does anyone know if the rubber grips are available to purchase?:confused:

bought a used K9 and it had rubber grips. I didn't know kahr went to the plastic grips ugh:mad: Love those rubber grips...:p