PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr owner MK9

jmurch
09-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi All. I am new to owning a Kahr. At my home range swap meet there was an MK9 for sale for $425. I offered the guy $350 and he accepted it. After inspection and test firing I gave hime the money and now owned a Kahr.

After owning it for one month and putting 300 or so rounds or thru it I am extremely happy with my purchase. Today I field stripped it (not for the first time), removed the grips, and completely douched it out with Brakekleen non-chroinated. After drying it with compressed air and reassembly I followed the lube diagram with CLP in all the stated locations.

The diagram shows nothing anywhere on the lower other than on the rails. Is this correct?

I also ordered a Wolff setup since the plastic guide rod has a curve to it and I really have no idea of the round count anyway. I was however happy to see no indication of where anywhere on the gun.

One last question. The Wolff combo comes with a new striker spring. Should this be changed as well?

MikeyKahr
09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Welcome jmurch, and congrats on the great deal! An MK9 in that condition at that price is a definite buy in my book. You're right that the diagram only shows the rails and lube spots. I still hit a few additional spots lightly but that's just me (mag release, for example). But that's just me - metal likes a light oil rub every once in a while! As for the striker spring, if you want to change it out, go for it as it's not difficult to do. But if it were me, I would hold onto the one that came from Wolff as a backup and keep running with the one you got. I would suggest changing the recoil spring out instead as you don't know how many rounds since it's been changed (if ever). Hope the MK9 keeps running well, let us know if something comes up!

Bawanna
09-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Exactly what nephew said. I usually drop a drop or two on top of the trigger pivot/spring area for the same reason as the mag release. Can't hurt anything.
I do the same on my tupperware although I don't think it's needed or near as efective. Still don't hurt nothing.

As Mikey said the striker spring will probably last forever BUT if you want to change it, it's easy. Some like to put in the 5# striker spring and that may be what they sent, hard to say. Leave it, replace it, your call.

jmurch
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Bawanna,

I'll keep the stock striker spring weight (6# correct?) as I'm grooming this gun as my primary CCW. Here is AZ especially during the summer a P220 is just way too big.

A new recoil setup and a few hundred more round and I'll be good to go.

Jeff

jocko
09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi All. I am new to owning a Kahr. At my home range swap meet there was an MK9 for sale for $425. I offered the guy $350 and he accepted it. After inspection and test firing I gave hime the money and now owned a Kahr.

After owning it for one month and putting 300 or so rounds or thru it I am extremely happy with my purchase. Today I field stripped it (not for the first time), removed the grips, and completely douched it out with Brakekleen non-chroinated. After drying it with compressed air and reassembly I followed the lube diagram with CLP in all the stated locations.

The diagram shows nothing anywhere on the lower other than on the rails. Is this correct?

I also ordered a Wolff setup since the plastic guide rod has a curve to it and I really have no idea of the round count anyway. I was however happy to see no indication of where anywhere on the gun.

One last question. The Wolff combo comes with a new striker spring. Should this be changed as well?

leave ur striker spring alone. they normally put sriker spring/hammer springs with all their recoil kits for some reasonor other. If it goes bank leave it alone...

u stole that gun, u should be ashamed:D:D

jmurch
09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
jocko,

I guess if I had to I could feel bad about having my 24 year old daughter make the offer :)

Jeff

jocko
09-12-2011, 12:11 PM
no, ur just a sly ol fox. I probalby would have sold it to her for $250!!!

MikeyKahr
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
You're a bad man jmurch. There I said it.

Sent using Tapatalk

wayneo1
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet deal good luck with your new to you pistol.