PDA

View Full Version : PM-40: Break in & questions

gr8mpg
01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi, new to the forum. My son and I purchased two pm-40s for Xmas; mine has night sights, his doesn't. Firing the first 100 rounds was great. I was cleaning both guns and noticed that the slide stop pin on my sons gun (manual part #28) was loose. In other words, the pin part that goes through the frame spins like it was a sleeve and seems to be getting looser with more rounds fired. Mine is rigid (solid) and isn't loose or anything.

I called Kahr, told him about the situation and asked him if the pin was supposed to act like a sleeve or be rigid. He didn't tell me which way it should be and said it wouldn't hurt anything either way. I told him I didn't feel good about it being that way & he told me he would send me a new pin right away.

We went to the range again for another 150 rounds. My son was trying to load #125 in the 6 round mag and couldn't get it to accept ammo. Upon examination, we found that the plastic mag follower (manual part# 39) had broken off and the metal tang would hang preventing ammo loading. Haven't called Kahr yet (weekend)

We love the pistols so far and the snap wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, very controllable.

Question: Has anyone had any of these problems yet? My pistol seems to be good but my son's is maybe having some problems. I know the manual says 200 rounds for breakin but how many rounds will it take? I've heard of folks having problems after 350 rounds.

I've had my leather tools packed up for 25 years and decided to get them out and make us some holsters. " How sweet it is" Thanks folks

CDW
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I've got about 1100 rounds through my PM40 now. I haven't had any issues since the first 150 of the break in period. Even during the break in I only had 2 instances where a round would hang up on the feed ramp causing the slide to fail to return to battery completely. I shoot 165 and 180 grain WWB and American Eagle FMJ's for range ammo and 155 grain Speer Gold Dots for SD. The pin on my gun is solid like yours and although I've read on here and Glocktalk about people breaking mag followers it hasn't happened to me. I have one 5 round mag, two 6 round mags, and one 7 round K40 mag that I carry as a spare. No problems with any of them.

I recently went a few range trips in a row without cleaning the gun, just to see what would happen. My Glocks seem to be impervious to dirt. I found the Kahr was just the same. Despite being filthy, it continued to function flawlessly. I do use quite a bit more lube on the PM40 than I do on either of my Glocks.

Hopefully Kahr customer service takes care of the issues with your son's gun. I believe these guys on the forums when they say they are having issues. It seems like Kahr's quality control may be a little spotty. Maybe they are just turning out so many guns to try and meet the demand that their quality guys can't keep up. When you pay $500 - $600 for a handgun, you shouldn't have to wonder if you are going to get lucky or not. That being said, I do love my PM40. Shoot yours until you feel good about it. Best of luck and a happy new year to you and your son.

jocko
01-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi, new to the forum. My son and I purchased two pm-40s for Xmas; mine has night sights, his doesn't. Firing the first 100 rounds was great. I was cleaning both guns and noticed that the slide stop pin on my sons gun (manual part #28) was loose. In other words, the pin part that goes through the frame spins like it was a sleeve and seems to be getting looser with more rounds fired. Mine is rigid (solid) and isn't loose or anything.

I called Kahr, told him about the situation and asked him if the pin was supposed to act like a sleeve or be rigid. He didn't tell me which way it should be and said it wouldn't hurt anything either way. I told him I didn't feel good about it being that way & he told me he would send me a new pin right away.

We went to the range again for another 150 rounds. My son was trying to load #125 in the 6 round mag and couldn't get it to accept ammo. Upon examination, we found that the plastic mag follower (manual part# 39) had broken off and the metal tang would hang preventing ammo loading. Haven't called Kahr yet (weekend)

We love the pistols so far and the snap wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, very controllable.

Question: Has anyone had any of these problems yet? My pistol seems to be good but my son's is maybe having some problems. I know the manual says 200 rounds for breakin but how many rounds will it take? I've heard of folks having problems after 350 rounds.

I've had my leather tools packed up for 25 years and decided to get them out and make us some holsters. " How sweet it is" Thanks folks

kMy Pm9 slide stop pin does the same thing and I love it. Now only the magazine follower has to move up the lever only to lock the slide and not the entire slide lock lever and pin. the lever and pin are forged but two peaces. Kahr was right ibn tellin g you it was OK and my K9 does not rotate on the slide stop pin and it works perfect also. I much prefer the lever rotating on the pin axis, if I had my choice. , If kahr is going to send you a new slide stop IMO just put it back in case anything ever happens to your slide stop, which it won't but stick with the one you have, IMO it is the best set up. YMMV. Kahr has had some issue with the mag followers breakingon the PM40 more than any other model. why that is, is a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess)

jignjam
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I know this is a little late of a post but, I just took apart my 6 round mag and found the follower is broken again. I replaced it about a year ago when I first bought my PM40 which was used. I sent an email to customer service asking them about it so we'll see what Kahr has to say about it.