PDA

View Full Version : kahr stolen from my home, need help.

Slave
09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Would Kahr be able to tell me my serial number? I need it for the police report. My state agency has it, but is taking a long time to get it back. My insurance company also needs it.

Thanks guys.

crazymailman
09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
If you sent the warranty info in they should be able to help. Good luck.

Ressom
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
The FFL holder that did your transfer will also have it.

Bawanna
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
What state are you in?

yqtszhj
09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Don't know if they stole your case it came in also but it would be on that too I believe.

apdturbo
09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
dang taking a mans gun is a below the belt move, good luck with what pursues.

Slave
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
What state are you in?

Michigan.

O'Dell
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
dang taking a mans gun is a below the belt move, good luck with what pursues.

Tell me about it. I've lost fifteen in the last year.

pyth0n
09-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Would Kahr be able to tell me my serial number? I need it for the police report. My state agency has it, but is taking a long time to get it back. My insurance company also needs it.

Thanks guys.

Does MI still have the "safety inspection"? If so, did they get your copy of the "safety inspection" (registration) also? Your FFL should have the 4473 and their part of the "inspection" paper work.

Scoundrel
09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Suggest keeping all of your serial numbers in a text file on your workstation. And keeping a written copy somewhere else. The last thing I want to do if I have an issue is scratch my head at the police officer and say "Dang, I just didn't think to keep a record of my serial numbers."

Not getting down on you personally, Slave. Just putting it out there.

Rainman48314
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Michigan.If you used a Permit to Purchase (yellow cards), the Police Station can look it up. This is probably a different jurisdiction from where the crime was committed (guessing, since the PD is asking YOU).

wyntrout
09-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I keep a simple database entry for my guns. That reminds me, I need to add the P40 and add it to the insurance list.

The insurance list is another "database" of info, too. I list guns, holsters(value) and magazines.

I'm going to update my stuff now!

Good luck. I hope they can recover your pistol!

Wynn:)

hdsteve69
09-13-2011, 06:08 AM
I keep a file on my computor and on a flash drive of all my guns and serial numbers,I also take a picture of each gun and the serial number on this same file. Its a good ideal to keep some kind of record. I had a gun stolen and handed the cop a copy of my original reciept and thank god cause the gun was used in a drive by 3 days later,I heard no one was shot in the drive by but I never heard if they recovered the gun.

apdturbo
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
what an eye opener, i need to document my weapons asap. i heard if you are an NRA member and have a gun stolen that the NRA will replace your firearm, is that true???

wyntrout
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Check your homeowner's insurance and see what the maximum coverage is for guns. I forget what mine was with USAA, but I added all of my guns, magazines, holsters and accessories like sights.

After our buddy O'Dell's thefts, I made sure that I got the coverage I needed added to my home insurance... personal property insurance. I think it just went up to a total of $150 a year after adding my P40 and magazines. They have complete list of my 10 guns and serial numbers. That's another database.

garyb
09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Bummer of a deal, but you're not alone. It has happened to others. I had a bow stolen many years ago. I am not intending this to be a negative comment but keep a data base locked up and keep the guns locked up too....gun vault. Sincerely very sorry to hear about this happening to you and hope it is recovered soon.

wyntrout
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
You could keep a small database or file on your cellular phone, too.

O'Dell
09-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I take a picture when I add a new gun, and put in the description of the jpg the SN and date purchased. I keep the folder on both computers and on a BK HDD. I also have a list in my safe. I also keep a record when I sell a gun.

Here's an example. The name of the jpg is 128-01xxxx' 4-14-11.jpg

Rainman48314
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I take a picture when I add a new gun, and put in the description of the jpg the SN and date purchased. I keep the folder on both computers and on a BK HDD. I also have a list in my safe. I also keep a record when I sell a gun.

Here's an example. The name of the jpg is 128-01xxxx' 4-14-11.jpg
I like your idea and method. I'll be doing mine the same way tonight. Thanks. I have paper records all in one place, my range bag, however, some fool could steal that too.

mr surveyor
09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
I take pictures of all of my firearms, the sales receipts, and all other documentation. Also any accessories that were in the purchase. As time goes along, I also add pics of targets shot, as well as notes to the files. All stored on hard drive and occassional cd backups, when I think about it. When I sell or trade a gun, the file goes into the "Guns No Longer Owned" files.

Can't have too much info. Some day I hope I run out of hard disk space for firearms archival data:D

surv