PDA

View Full Version : My .380 ACP ammo and information

wyntrout
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm listing the .380 ACP ammunition that I have acquired and any information that I have found. Pictures at the end show bullets from left to right: Aguila, MFS, Hornady Critical Defense, and Buffalo Bore +P. Note the humongous box that the BB is in. The styro holder is ~2 1/2" tall and the holes are at least 1/2" in diameter.

Aguila (Mexico) 95 grain FMJ, 50 per box. Factory MZ: 945 fps, 188 ft-lbs.
Aguila Ammunition / Centurion Ordnance, Inc. (http://www.aguilaammo.com/) (Site incomplete.)

MFS (Hungary) 95 grain FMJ, 50 per box. Factory MZ: 984 fps, 204 ft-lbs.
MFS 2000 Inc. - Hungarian Ammunition Manufacturing (http://www.mfs2000.hu/eng_9mmBrS.html)

Hornady Critical Defense (USA) 90 grain FTX (FMJ with Polymer insert)
Factory MZ: 1000 fps, 200 ft-lbs. Actual Kahr P380 test: MZ+10 ft 847 fps, ~170 ft-lbs, estimated from % MZ V. Review:Kahr Arms | Product Reviews (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_ga0109.html)

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 380 Auto :: 380 Auto 90 gr FTX® Critical Defense® (http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense/)

Buffalo Bore (USA) +P 90 grain bonded FMJ. Factory MZ: 1,200 fps, 288 ft-lbs. (On Box label:1175 fps, 267 ft-lbs.)
From site:
1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel----1218 fps.
2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1200 fps.
3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1123 fps.
4. Keltec-2.75 inch barrel---1100 fps.
380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129)

I hope this is helpful to someone.:) I'm bored while waiting for my P380N!:(
Wynn

94hokie
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
So the velocities you have listed are a composite from the manufacturers sites or are actual velocities you have tested? I recently got my P380 and have not had a chance to borrow a chronograph to test some ammo, but as soon as I can I want to check Critical Defense, Gold Dots and Buffalo Bore (which obviously are loaded with Gold Dot bullets). I am anxious to see the velocities as tested from an actual P380, thanks.

wyntrout
01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
94hokie, all of the figures are factory except the review/tests of the P380. I interpolated the energy at 10 ft from the muzzle by using the percentage of remaining velocity. That's kind of a wag, but energy in foot pounds is directly related to velocity. The review I quoted used 10 ft from the muzzle for chronograph tests, so I tried to interpolate the energy for that distance.
Go to the P380 section or page at the Kahr Site and look at the Product Review section. Kahr Arms / .380 ACP Models / P380 Series (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html)
Therein are contained the various magazine reviews and any testing they did. Several reviews show the results of a half dozen or more different types of ammo. The accuracy is compared and chronograph results for the various types of ammo show what you can expect from the P380 with a 2 1/2" barrel, which is different from factory tests using 4" or 5" barrels. These tests can give you a place to start choosing ammo to try in the P380. It sure beats testing every type of ammo you can find. At least you have an idea what brand or type to look for since ammo is so scarce and costly these days. Reading this forum can give you lots of data, too. Some brands of ammo seem less reliable for feeding and ejecting in this pistol. You want something that will have the accuracy and power for concealed carry, but it must function at 100% reliablility, or as close as your standards require, for your life could depend on it.
I had planned to use Federal 90 grain HydraShoks after seeing the tests, but that was unavailable and I got a chance to get Hornady Critical Defense. Much later I got a good deal on Buffalo Bore +P ammo at Cabela's with the $20 of coupon, which is in effect for all purchases over $100 through the 11th. You have to be on the alert and active on the Internet to find ammo and deals... and be flexible in choice with the shortages of ammo now. I've not had to pay scalper prices for any of my ammo. I did pay $22+ per box of 50 for the Aguila FMJ when I ran across those while traveling. Local gun show prices were around $35 a box for that and up to $40-$60 for ONE 20 to 25-round boxe of defense-type ammo, after there started BEING .380 ammo at the shows.:eek:
Let your fingers do the walking on the Internet. Google can be your best friend when searching for stuff, whether it's good deals on ammo or guns, or information on those and any other things.:D
Wynn

hsart
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Can anyone suggest a source for about 500 rounds of .380 ACP FMJ? Preferably American made (Federal, Rem, Win, Blazer, etc). I am tempted to buy the Kahr P380 but I have not been able to locate a source for the ammo, so am putting the handgun purchase off for a while. Not too concerned about finding some self-defense ammo for it as I do not need much. I already have the PM45 but would like a true pocket pistol.

wagon
01-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I've always hesitated on Buffalo Bore's "+P", I've read that there isn't an industry standard of "+P" for this caliber. No doubt that it has more punch in it, but at the same time made me fell that it's almost like "false advertising".

wyntrout
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Can anyone suggest a source for about 500 rounds of .380 ACP FMJ? Preferably American made (Federal, Rem, Win, Blazer, etc). I am tempted to buy the Kahr P380 but I have not been able to locate a source for the ammo, so am putting the handgun purchase off for a while. Not too concerned about finding some self-defense ammo for it as I do not need much. I already have the PM45 but would like a true pocket pistol.

I don't think that anyone can point you in the direction of a "source" because, hello... there's an ammo shortage... prices are inflated (supply and demand)... and ammo supplies disappear as soon as they are listed. You've got to look and be ready to act... and if you're real picky about practice ammo, Good Luck!
I don't even have the gun yet, but I didn't sit around waiting to get ammo. I've been online searching... and I've had some good luck a few times and I've gotten the best deals I could find. I won't pay scalper prices. Sportsman's Guide has good prices and tells you up front whether it's in stock and some kind of idea when they expect more... but that keeps changing. I've had all kinds of stuff on order there and the dates kept slipping. So I switched to something else that came in sooner. I used the Cabelas $20 off a $100 purchase (through 11 January) several times to get the ammo they had. I first heard about that here. That lowers the cost. It's real easy to use Google. Someone complained about not being able to find the Cabelas deal... it's real hard... just google "Cabelas"... And for ammo you can try the same thing, but you're going to see lots of high priced stuff... auctions... scalping and so forth. Some businesses don't try to charge as much as they can, but most do.
As I said in the previous posts, let you fingers do the walking. I buy almost everything online. I just received a 58" plasma TV today that I bought from Amazon.com -- no taxes, free shipping, and I got about the best price in the country. Just stick with highly rated businesses.:)
Wynn

Addition: 500 rounds of Herters .380 at Cabelas -- in stock and $20 coupon available http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/item-added.jsp?_requestid=333

wyntrout
01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I've always hesitated on Buffalo Bore's "+P", I've read that there isn't an industry standard of "+P" for this caliber. No doubt that it has more punch in it, but at the same time made me fell that it's almost like "false advertising".
Wagon, do a search here and on the P380 site for discussions of Buffalo Bore. And check the BB site 380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129)
in the end, Kahr said the P380 is rated for +P and will handle the BB loads. I don't plan to shoot a lot of that, but if it works reliably I'll use it for CCW because it is one of the most powerful loads with the bullet weight I chose to use. I also got a bunch of Hornady Critical Defense because it was the first ammo I could get at decent prices... and that tested well in the magazine reviews. Again, check those product Reviews Kahr Arms / .380 ACP Models / P380 Series (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_380_p.html) . :59:
Wynn

wagon
01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
wynn, don't take me wrong, I don't doubt that "380 +P" ammo are of hotter load than those of standard pressure.

All I'm saying is that there isn't a SAAMI established spec for "380 +P", therefore different companies can market their hotter loads as "+P" without an industry guidelines. Hence can be misguiding.

Stay safe!

wyntrout
01-09-2010, 12:43 AM
wynn, don't take me wrong, I don't doubt that "380 +P" ammo are of hotter load than those of standard pressure.

All I'm saying is that there isn't a SAAMI established spec for "380 +P", therefore different companies can market their hotter loads as "+P" without an industry guidelines. Hence can be misguiding.

Stay safe!

Right, Wagon. When I get my P380, I'll try BB, but I won't be shooting a lot of it. I don't think anyone will, but it sounds like a good defense load. The producer sure goes overboard with the descriptions. One might wonder what a lawyer would make of someone using that ammo in a shooting trial.
When I used to reload .45 acp, I kind of loaded +P 230 grain loads ~ 1050 or so fps, but I used tested book loads. I always use stock 850 fps 230 grain rounds... cheap FMJ for practice and Federal HS or Remington Golden Sabers for defense loads -- all the same ballistics. The .380 is not so powerful, but around twice as effective as the TPH I carry with Stingers, and the .380 centerfire should be more reliable. I've had FTFs with the Stingers. maybe I carried them too long. I change ammo more often now. I want a really light carry for shorts and tees/polos down here in NE Florida. My K9 is too heavy, but if I had seen the PM9 first, I might have gotten one of those and had a lot more versatility and certainly more available and cheaper ammo... but I'm still waiting on my P380N... 8 months and 9 days, so far!:(
Wynn

wagon
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM
OMG.... 8+ %$%$^## months ?????

Well, come to think about it, there are people waiting 12+ months for some "designer holster" and still calling "worth it".

You'd think people of this day and age are more impatience... guess it's just the opposite, but that's good to know, patience is a virtue... :D

. but I'm still waiting on my P380N... 8 months and 9 days, so far!:(
Wynn

wyntrout
01-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Wagon, I just got something to tide me over at a gun show today -- an almost new (?) PM9094A DLC! I posted a new thread with pix on the PM sub-forum. It was unbelievable... listed for $600 complete with everything and the guy volunteered that they would take that price out the door, including tax (7%) and $5 for the Quick Check call. Woohoo! I'm going to try it out Monday if I can get it apart to inspect and clean it. It has way more oil present than I like.:D
It's not quite winning the lottery, or the PM4544N DLC that I was looking for, and probably couldn't afford at the moment, but I couldn't pass this up.
Wynn :D :D
The fired shell casing was behind the manual and is dated 4/27/2006, and the NS are Tru Dots, so they are add-ons, I guess... or maybe not. Neither of my Kahrs had the N/S indication on the box label.