PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal or do I need a Fluff-n-Buff

RiskPro
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Broke the CW9 in with 500 FMJ rounds the other day and it was flawless. Not one F2F or F2E. Very pleased with the accuracy as well.

Only thing is that when chambering a round I really need to pull the slide all the way back and let it slap hard to get a round in. I thought this would pass after breaking it in. However, it seems like the initial chambering round gets hung on the feed ramp.

But once it is in all is well. My others, Glock, Colt, etc feed on in well without having to really slap the round home with the Slide.

So, is this normal or should I pull out the Dremel and polish the feed ramp?

fitzgood
01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I am new to Kahrs but one thing I read is that the PM9 does not like to be "sligshot". In other words, they want you use the slide release to chamber the first round instead of pulling back the slide and letting it go. I have no idea if the same applies to the CWs but I am sure others here will.

mr surveyor
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
the "fluff and buff" is a KelTec thing.... you don't need to consider that for the nickle plated ramp and chamber of the Kahr pistols.

Yes, Kahr recommends charging the handgun with the slide lock back of the first round, but I'd be willing to bet that after a few hundred rounds you can slingshot, as long as its a full retraction and no slide riding. My CW9 has been flawless out of the box, and I have never had to charge it from slide lock, but I always have full retraction and never ride the slide on any of my pistols.

Give it time, and you may be pleasantly surprised. But, forget the whole "F&B" idea as it's NOT even applicable.

surv

hdawson
01-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Read the owner's manual. Clearly says to use the slide release. Clearly.:cool:

jfrey
01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
+1 like hdawson said. Use the slide lock. In spite of some folks insistance to the contrary, I load my 1911's the same way and it works fine. I just don't slap it home on an empty chamber.

RiskPro
01-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I really appreciate the info and it would have been a good idea for me to thoroughly read the manual...

Very pleased with the CW9 so your feedback gives me more confidence now to round out what I think is the perfect ccw for me.

As always, a wealth of knowledge on the site and glad I joined on.

wyntrout
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I was playing around... er... practicing with snap caps and my K9 last night and I found that you can reset or **** the striker pulling the slide back only about 1/2". This could be handy if you have a FTF and want to try it again. I very, very rarely ever had one of those with any gun... except rimfires... and I hated to eject those things. I have experienced a hang-fire with a shotgun and always keep the tube downrange because of that.
Wynn
Dnag! I just got censored trying to use the word that is commonly used for pulling the hammer back!!:confused:
That happened the first time I tried to use my latin "signature" and then it took the second time. There are clean uses of the word "c*ck"!;)

jocko
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
probably didn't get censored in the way you thing either. More than likely these forums have astash of words that are not acceptable and it will automatically omit certan words. fear not, it happens on most allforums and it is not the moderator sitting there doing the censorship, just the way the systme is set up..

mr surveyor
01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
it's the autowordnanny

wyntrout
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I figured that, but that's a verb that could be used a lot on a forum about guns. That four-letter verb is much easier to use than pull the hammer back to the ready-to-fire position.
Well, at least a bit of good news on the P380N's... we might be seeing ours in a month or two. I'm going TV shopping again today and if I get that sorted out, then I can focus on finding a good deal on a PM4544N... the one I was lusting after before the P380 came along.:D
Wynn