PDA

View Full Version : Kahr mag followers disintegrating

trlhrv
09-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't know if this had been addressed before but I've had to replace both mag followers on my purchased new PM40 after 300 rounds. One of the two mags on my P40 just cracked up after only 150 rounds. I love these guns but can't understand the lack of quality and durability on these critical parts.

Is this a common problem on all Kahr(s)? I also have a P45 that hasn't had the problem after 250 rounds.

jocko
09-19-2011, 09:29 AM
it doesn't seem to be comon in the K series kahrs or the T series kahr, but is more common in the 40 cal kahrs, for reasons I cannot explain.their mags are really not cheap made, they are quality mag, but sometihing is wrong somewhere. My P380 when new cracked the b ack of the magazine out in less than 100 rounds. We don'thearmuch about that happening in the P380 anymore but at first it was happening. what the fix was and wny it has not tgransferred over the bigger kahrs is anunanswered quetion..

good question, juyst not good answer that we can hang our hats on.

HadEmAll
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I never had it happen in ten years with my K40, or 3 years with my CW40. The 3 years I had the K40 and the CW40 at the same time, I was using the same 6 magazines in both pistols. I replaced the plastic bases with steel after having one plastic base break, but never had a problem with the followers. I probably had 600 rounds through the K40, and 300 through the CW40. Hot 155 grain JHPs for the most part.

Now, I had the follower break inside the first 100 rounds with my PM40 in the 5 round mag. I was also using two 6 round mags and had shot the 3 magazines the same number of rounds.

How did both yours break? Same way, etc?

Mine didn't disentigrate per se. The leading anti-tilt leg broke off the follower flush with the bottom of the follower, and was rattling around in the mag. It made the magazine difficult to load unless you positioned the follower just right to receive the first round, but when you did, you could load the rest of the rounds, and it still shot fine.

They sent me 2 replacements after I expressed discomfort with receiving just the one. The person I was speaking to implied it was a batch thing, not a design thing, and I hope he was shooting straight. Of course they are not going to say it's a design problem. I'm up to 300 rounds now and haven't had a repeat. At $11 apiece plus shipping, these followers ought to be bulletproof. I'm sure part of that is getting the steel contact point for the slide lock imbedded in the plastic, but still, that's a high dollar follower.

HadEmAll
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
And you might get more responses on this in the PM forum

TucsonMTB
09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Mine didn't disentigrate per se. The leading anti-tilt leg broke off the follower flush with the bottom of the follower, and was rattling around in the mag. It made the magazine difficult to load unless you positioned the follower just right to receive the first round, but when you did, you could load the rest of the rounds, and it still shot fine.
+1 . . . and the Kahr folks were very reluctant to send me a spare follower, despite the fact that all four of the followers in the four magazines shipped with my two PM40 pistols failed within the first 200 rounds through each.

Spare mags purchased from CDN (genuine Kahr) have been flawless and the replacement followers installed to replace the four that broke are still going strong, so I believe it probably is a batch problem.

trlhrv
09-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the responses provided. My problems have all been with the .40's so far. My P45 has been fine. On my PM40, both mag followers failed during the same shooting session. My P40 follower broke on the six round but not yet on the extended mag but I haven't used it much. The followers' bottom half just break off. As mentioned above I can force it past the metal guide and get the mag to function on the P40 but it doesn't do much to build confidence in the mag. I've ordered two replacement followers so we'll see.