PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Air and transporting my Kahr

knkali
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Flying within California and want to take my P40. Southwest said I can declare the unloaded gun when I che4ck my baggage as long as it is in a hard sided case but my ammo must be in a metal or fiberwood box made for ammo transport. Anyone know what the heck I can use for the ammo?

Bawanna
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Some require it to be in the original box with the separate slots for each round. I would think one of those MTM or plastic storage boxes with the hinged lid that snaps shut would suffice but couldn't say for positive sure.

Fiber wood sounds like they made the policy when the Wright Brothers were still the only game in air transportation.

Never heard of a metal ammo carrier unless its a ammo can like the military and that would take up alot of suitcase space.

mser
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I've flown several times with a firearm. I've always transported my ammunition in the manufacturers cardboard (fiberwood?) box in which it was sold. Never had any problems.

Bawanna
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I've flown several times with a firearm. I've always transported my ammunition in the manufacturers cardboard (fiberwood?) box in which it was sold. Never had any problems.

Heck, maybe that's exactly what they mean. Your good!

knkali
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
roger that I guess Fiberwood is cardboard.