PDA

View Full Version : flew Southwest Air w/ Kahr

knkali
09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
easy....filled out a SW card(name addy flight number) that goes in the hard sided case with the unloaded gun. ammo was kept in the original box. showed it to the person behind the counter to declare the weapon. locked it up. put it in my checked luggage. waited for tsa to screen bag and lock up bag, that was it. if flying home is a prob, i will post it up. btw put my edc blade in the hard case too.

wyntrout
09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Great. Let us know how it went. I plan to do that this Christmas. I'm thinking of taking ammo... about 4 boxes of .45, but there's a Walmart just east of Durango, CO, where I can probably get some not-so-high ammo, instead of using my valuable weight allowance.

My wife's two stepbrothers that live there have .45's and I shot theirs back in Christmas '09. None of us did well, and I really got into shooting since then and want to show them my Kahr PM45 and, hopefully, that I can shoot worth a darn now!

I hope that your trip went well.

Wynn:)

knkali
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks. Things went smooth. All I had to do different was have a TSA guy handle everything on my way back. Took a few more minutes but no big deal. Could be if the airport is very busy.

I know you can only have x lbs of ammo so check that out beforehand. I just brought about 15 rnds.

mywytefeet
10-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I've flown Southwest round-trip from SFO to ABQ. Funny thing was going out of SFO was easier than out of ABQ! At SFO stated I was flying with a firearm in checked baggage. I just filled out a declaration form (business card size) that goes inside the hardside case. I asked if they wanted to visually inspect the gun/ammo and they said the card was good enough. TSA scanned my luggage in a separate room with me and I was good to go. Out of ABQ the person at the counter said I needed to go to a special line (wasn't clear at all,) but she said, "I'll handle it this time though." Same process--business card fill out of declaration, private scan, and off I go. They have the process down! Also ABQ didn't want to visually inspect the gun either.

wyntrout
10-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info. The last two times we went to SW CO, we went to Albuquerque and rented a car for the last 218 miles. I haven't checked to see if that's what we'll do this time. I'll certainly feel better with Boomer along. The new Kydex-reinforced gun belt does feel better with my Minituck and PM9, but I plan to take the slightly heavier PM45 with me... the first time I'll have taken a gun with me when flying. I asked the lady at the counter here... American, maybe, and she said it was no problem with the "micro-safe" inside my soft baggage. I plan to cable it to the spine of the luggage as well.

Wynn:)