PDA

View Full Version : Handloading for PM9

340pd
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I have a PM9 on the way. Anybody with good handload information using a 124 gr bullet? Are Kahr's fussy?

jmurch
10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I reload for .308, .223, & .45. I have personally found that I don't get any return on reloading 9mm. for general shooting.

OldLincoln
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I load for the range and carry factory ammo. Range isn't a problem with my plated or jacketed round nose. I load to the middle of the spectrum but my PM9 is very well broken in.

Initially Kahrs are very stout and really do need a factory load. Maybe 50 - 100 rounds in reloads would be okay if the factory rounds ran okay. The key is to follow the proper prep guide and lube chart being sure to rub a fair amount of grease into point 6 which is high friction until broken in. Also make sure the ramp and chamber lips especially top inside are shiny and rub a dad of grease in those also.

recoilguy
10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
range bullets for a Kahr I use............ but in no way recomend .............this is what I have had luck with but my luck is in no way an indication or garantee of luck for anyone else otr on any other weapon then mine

my 2 favorites are:

mixed range brass polished and checked
Winchester SP primers
4.1g Tite group
124 FMJ RN percision delta
1.123 OAL

mixed range brass polished
Federal SP primers
4.0g VV N320 (hard to find these days)
124 FMJ RN Montana Gold
1.123 OAL

1.123 works well in the mags and is my go to OAL. No scientific reason just what I settled on until I find a reason not use it.

Both loads work very well in my CZ SP-01 also The VV n320 is a softer shooting powder but costs 2X the other. over the course of 1700 bullets per pound it really doesn't matter to me but some folks balk at the inital out lay.

Good luck in your venture and with your new weapon.

RCG

joeyvco
10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
wasnt the point that they ( Kahr ) didnt recomend reloaded ammo, as the shell isnt fully supported in the chamber & are worried about blow outs from case failures ? I am under the impression that thats what the panel on the ejection side of the weapon is - a blow out panel.

DLButler
10-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I have a CM9 and have recently started reloading. I use Berry's 115 RN with Aliants Power Pistol powder and CCI #500 primers. The recipe I got directly from Aliant is:

115 gr lead bullet
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

115 gr jacketed bullet
Bullseye start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5.5 grs
Power Pistol start 5.9 grs max 6.3 grs

124/125 gr lead
Bullseye start 3.8 grs max 4.3 grs
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.8 grs max 5.3 grs

124/125 gr jacketed
Bullseye start 3.9 grs max 4.3 grs
Unique start 4.5 grs max 5 grs
Power Pistol start 5 grs max 5.5 grs

147 gr lead
Bullseye start 2.8 grs max 3.3 grs
Unique start 3.2 grs max 3.6 grs
Power Pistol start 4 grs max 4.5 grs

147 gr jacketed
Unique start 4 grs max 4.5 grs
Power Pistol start 4.5 grs max 5 grs

Note: Start with the minimum charge wt. Reload just a few and be sure they will properly cycle the action of your pistol before reloading a quantity

I load using the Lead data at the bottom of the range.

I so far haven't had any problemswith any of the loads. After paying for my reloading equipment I save about $6 to $7 a box.

340pd
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Thank you. That is right where I am in my own research. That tells me the Kahrs run with most all the other 9mm pistols. As far as the costs go I do agree that it not really practical. Right now my brass is free, primers .03, plated bullets about .081/plated , powder is .015, my time is free = $6.50/box. Less than the cheapest ammo I can find around here. Now the real facts are, I will never shoot this pidtol more that a couple of thousand rounds. It is not going to be a range gun. 500 or so to break it in and then less than 100/month for practice. Reloading this caliber really is not a big deal it is just for the fun.

OldLincoln
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Joey, blow out is not the point with reloads. I doubt if any gun manufacturer says it's okay to shoot reloads only because they don't want any responsibility for what reloaders do.

Kahrs are tough and support the case very well. The primary complaints about unsupported case blowouts is the Glock 40. The 40 is a high pressure round and when loaded hot it really can split the case and raise hell with the gun and shooter. However, if a good case and moderate load even that gun would likely be okay.

Keep in mind, if any gun lights off a double charged round things can happen that are ugly. That's why reloading is not for those who just toss stuff together. It's more of a slide rule thing than a duct tape thing.

kahrlover123
10-04-2011, 07:23 AM
If it's a gun for range, use reloads all you want. If it's a CCW, I would not mess with reloads.