PDA

View Full Version : Another Post Repair Update

hoghunter
10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
So now I have about 250 rounds of Lawman 115gr through my CM9 since Kahr returned it to me. To refresh everyone, I had the nosedives on round 2 of every mag. I did all the forum fixes with no resolution. Sent it to Kahr, they snipped the recoil spring shorter, sent it back to me (with all three mag springs installed wrong :mad:) and now it is FLAWLESS. Happy to report that tonight's range visit was perfection. I put 50 rounds of Lawman down the pipe and also shot my first SD ammo with the CM9. I ran three mags (18 rounds) of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I only shot each mag once to make sure they all functioned fine. I did notice some "muzzle flash" while shooting the +Ps, but it performed awesome. I drew a circle around a soda can on the cardboard and put 12 of the 18 right in the circle from 7 yrds. Needless to say, I am so happy that this CM9 is running right. It is a sweet shooting gun that is getting better each time I take it out. I do want to say that adding the Talon Granulate grips and the TR25 gun lube both have helped a lot in my opinion.
Thanks again to all of those on the forum who helped me through my first Kahr owning journey.

JFootin
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
That's great to hear Buddy!

Bear549
10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
That's great to hear and I knew that you would love the gun once you got the bugs worked out. I had some of the same issues and now it is by far my favorite carry gun. It is just like the American Express card, never leave home without it...:)

jocko
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
So now I have about 250 rounds of Lawman 115gr through my CM9 since Kahr returned it to me. To refresh everyone, I had the nosedives on round 2 of every mag. I did all the forum fixes with no resolution. Sent it to Kahr, they snipped the recoil spring shorter, sent it back to me (with all three mag springs installed wrong :mad:) and now it is FLAWLESS. Happy to report that tonight's range visit was perfection. I put 50 rounds of Lawman down the pipe and also shot my first SD ammo with the CM9. I ran three mags (18 rounds) of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. I only shot each mag once to make sure they all functioned fine. I did notice some "muzzle flash" while shooting the +Ps, but it performed awesome. I drew a circle around a soda can on the cardboard and put 12 of the 18 right in the circle from 7 yrds. Needless to say, I am so happy that this CM9 is running right. It is a sweet shooting gun that is getting better each time I take it out. I do want to say that adding the Talon Granulate grips and the TR25 gun lube both have helped a lot in my opinion.
Thanks again to all of those on the forum who helped me through my first Kahr owning journey.

just amazes the sh-t out of me that snipping a tad off of a factorya recoil spring would have eliminated nosedives. I guess that is going to be osmething that we forum guys need to store in our memory fix banks. If u get nose dives and it is not follower related, snip off a quarter col anbd see what happens. I am so hesitant to tell a new owner to do such a thing as one would think Kahr would have that part right. glad they fixed it for u. a shame they could not have told you to try it before sending it back to them.

I guess my confusion in all this is WHY JUST ON ROUND 2 of every magazine..

hoghunter
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
just amazes the sh-t out of me that snipping a tad off of a factorya recoil spring would have eliminated nosedives. I guess that is going to be osmething that we forum guys need to store in our memory fix banks. If u get nose dives and it is not follower related, snip off a quarter col anbd see what happens. I am so hesitant to tell a new owner to do such a thing as one would think Kahr would have that part right. glad they fixed it for u. a shame they could not have told you to try it before sending it back to them.

jocko,
You and I are both confused on that point. I would have bet any amount of money that snipping the recoil spring would not have solved the nosedives on only round two in each mag. I even sent Kahr a fairly sarcastic email about doubting this when I found out that was all they did (I did sent a follow up THANK YOU and soft apology :o to my Kahr contacts). As I reported, I DID NOT sand the followers they sent back with my mags. I had asked for new followers when they shipped my CM9 back to me because I had already sanded the ones I sent in. So the only modification on the gun was the snipped recoil spring. Here is the pic again of my recoil that Kahr sent back to me. Unfortunately I did not snap a photo of it before I sent it in. Hey- all I can say it is fixed and I am happy! :D

JBarbaresi
10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
awesome to hear, thanks for keeping us updated.

wm36
10-06-2011, 12:50 AM

I've been thinking about this and here is what I think. When round 1 is in the chamber, the magazine is at its fullest. This means the magazine spring is compressed to the max, exerting maximum pressure from the magazine stack against the slide - creating maximum friction. The energy from firing round 1 has to overcome the recoil spring tension as well as the friction from the magazine. If that combination is too much, the slide doesn't fully cycle back and doesn't get a full run at chambering round 2. As you empty the magazine, the recoil spring tension is the same but the friction from the magazine decreases, allowing the slide to more fully cycle. By snipping a bit off the recoil spring, it decreases the amount of tension and friction the slide has to overcome to fully cycle.

I'm not a gunsmith and don't own a CM9 (yet - saving my pennies). That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.