PDA

View Full Version : 40 cal. design for 9mm more reliable?

Russ
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Recently I read that Beretta designed the Nano for 40cal but will release firearm for 9mm. One opinion I read was the gun will be more reliable if a 9mm is designed for 40 cal.

Please will someone explain why a 40 cal design make for more reliable 9 mm? I would think it would be just the opposite.

Thanks. Russ

Barth
10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
40s generally run under more pressure than 9mm.
A gun designed for 40, but chambered for a 9mm, may be stronger.
i.e. over engineered for the 40.
Compared to a gun that was only designed for 9mm.

I can't stress may be enough. It totally depends on the gun and design.
And the "over engineered" gun would just last longer.
Not necessarily be more reliable.

Unless I'm missing something or totally confuessed like usual LOL!
Plus I'm not really paying attention (watching the NFL!)

Russ
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks Barth

Great you can multi task watching football and talking guns.

Russ

Bawanna
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
It could be they don't want to revisit the old 92F when it first came out. Some may recall they had issues with the slide blowing back off the frame and few people seriously injured.
Hence they created the 92FS with the little washer area in the left rear which I know so well as it's one more thing to cut out for a grip.

I learned at Beretta school that there was nothing wrong with the design but the military and no doubt civilians were trying to make the 9 effective IE: making it a 40 with hot loads which didn't exist at the time. Couldn't handle the increased high pressure.

It maybe they plan to market it later as a 40 and they won't have to redesign it to handle it. Smart thinking on their part.

jlottmc
10-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Beretta learned a whole bunch from the 92 saga. The Army didn't help by running a load that was basically +P+P through it either. They had to redesign the 9mm load that was to be used. Then LA and LA county adopted the 92, that was the real game changer, as it opened the door for semi-auto pistols and subsequently Glock.

crazymailman
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
That's what S&W did for the M&P according to what I've read. They designed it for the more potent .40 then adapted it to 9mm. From what I understand, all others prior to that were done 9mm to .40.

ltxi
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Pretty much true and it's not only a higher pressure that must be accommodated, it's a more "vicious" pressure curve.