PDA

View Full Version : A No-Brainer Deal

wyntrout
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi, guys and gals. Today has gone well for me so far. I got rid of my old 52" DLP TV and several old computers and monitors at an Electronic Waste Mobile Collection Event that came up the day after I got my new 58" plasma up on the wall (with help from my buddy).
I was close to the Gander Mountain Store so I decided to go see what they had in the way of Kahrs -- ONE used Kahr. I can't even remember what it was. I then went from the north side of town to the south side where there was a gun show this weekend. I was kind of looking for my next Kahr... a PM4544N, the DLC one. I didn't see one of those -- only a CW45. I saw one PM9093 for $760 + tax and was despairing of seeing anything of real interest when I happened onto the "holy grail"... a PM9094N DLC... used, seemingly pristine, with box, lock, and everything... for $600!
I hadn't gone through the whole show, yet, but couldn't pass that up. Quickly the dealer said they would take $600 out the door... tax and $5 for the Quick Check. This guy was trying to get the price lower and called his boss, I guess, to see if they could take $550 out the door. No, this was a consignment and the guy was being reassigned and couldn't carry this there?? He wanted $500 out of it and this dealer's shop had to get something out of the deal, so we wound up with $550 + tax and the call, coming to $588 out the door! He took a check and I was worried someone was going to come along and spoil my dealing. There was one guy who looked at it while we trying to talk to his boss. Anyhow, I was okayed for the buy and walked out with my new baby and a box of Blazer 9mm for $13, 'cause I had left the house without any weapon excited to be going to a gun show that day and in a hurry to get rid of my E-junk.
I have to put the PM4544N DLC on the back burner for now, but I'm happy to find this gun. I haven't been able to get the darn slide release to budge so I can take it apart. I can see that there's more oil present than I like, but it's a lot harder, evidently, to get this thing apart than my K9. I thought that PM's were supposed to be easier! I'm gonna watch the video and/or read the manual in a bit and see if I can clean it up and inspect it fully before going to the range -- probably Monday.
Now I need to find a real holster to replace the worn uncle Mike Size 15 that I've been using for the K9. It's sheding carbon-dust-like stuff and looks like hell but it will have to do for now. I may have a new one of those somewhere, but I can't remember if this WAS the newer one.
Pix follow:
I think that this will hold me over until the baby Kahr arrives. :D
Wynn:w00t:
I just found the included fired shell case dated April 27, 2006. The gun has Tru Dot night sights which must be add-ons. Model PM9094A Black Diamond SS.

ripley16
01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
...but it's a lot harder, evidently, to get this thing apart than my K9.

Sometimes with the Polymer Kahrs the trick to disassembly is to realize there is little room for error when you line up the marks, the slide cut out and the release pin. It's a tight fit. The pin is usually able to be pushed out with finger pressure and not requiring the "tap" that the K Kahrs need.

The Mepro night sights are probably original factory equipment and not added on later. Both of my night sighted Kahrs came with them.

wyntrout
01-09-2010, 08:43 PM
ripley16, I was just going by the box label -- PM9, 9mm, Black Diamond S. S. Slide PM9094A. No indication of Night Sights, but then my K9 label just says K9, 9mm Stainless K9093 with an "N" added after that with a red pen... so maybe they are factory. The K9 has Trijicon and the PM9 Tru Dot. I just hope that it shoots well.:59:
I wasn't able to get the slide stop out no matter when it was positioned... with pushes or screwdriver handle taps.... I wonder if that retention spring/clip is positioned correctly... or it's extra stout!
Wynn:)

Additional: Man I'm tempted to delete this, but maybe someone else will benefit from my failure to RT#M because I had a similar Kahr -- the K9. Then I forgot to follow Rule# 2 -- When all else fails, read the manual!
I think that Rule# 1 must be a "male thing" -- I don't need no stinking manual... or something like that!:o
I know that I wondered just a bit what the heck the "witness marks" were.:confused:
Wynn

jocko
01-10-2010, 08:29 AM
ripley16, I was just going by the box label -- PM9, 9mm, Black Diamond S. S. Slide PM9094A. No indication of Night Sights, but then my K9 label just says K9, 9mm Stainless K9093 with an "N" added after that with a red pen... so maybe they are factory. The K9 has Trijicon and the PM9 Tru Dot. I just hope that it shoots well.:59:
I wasn't able to get the slide stop out no matter when it was positioned... with pushes or screwdriver handle taps.... I wonder if that retention spring/clip is positioned correctly... or it's extra stout!
Wynn:)

as you well know from owning other kahrs that slide stop lever is just really sitting in there. All things being lined up, just give that right side of the lever a good hit with a plastic mallet and it will pop right out. I would not think that retention spring should have anything to do with it being that hard to get out...I would also want to see the innards before going to the range with it. recoil springs on right?? everything inside lining up as it should?? etc. Then just shoot it like you stole it.. Nice gun, my PM9 had toe dlc finish and IMO it is one awesome finish, really looks like a fightin gun, or maybe a better word "a covert gun".

coctailer
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Great score on the 9094N!!!

The slide stop lever is really tight at first. Maybe your gun is un-fired?:eek:

Shoot a couple hundred rounds and it will get easier to take out.

ripley16
01-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never been able to dismantle a Kahr the exact way the videos show. I simply cannot hold the gun in the exact postion, then turn it over to whack the pin. I've either had to push the gun (and pin) down onto something, or place an object in the breech, made to the correct size, and then flip the gun over to whack the pin without having to hold the slide open.

The exceptions are the ones that pop out very easily on the T9, P45 and TP9. The K9s, with that spring on the right side have never just popped out for me.

wyntrout
01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't really have a problem with my K9, as long as I poke something the appropriate size into the breech to hold the slide in the correct position. Then one good tap with a screwdriver handle usually starts the slide release out. I must have spent close to 20 minutes trying different sized plastic objects to get the right position and repeated whacks with the screwdriver handle and pushes against a cabinet corner while moving the slide around the alignment position... all to no avail. I'll try again today after I get a few other things done. I think wifey was ok with the good deal and it being my replacement Christmas present, etc. The retail on that model is $958! and I saw a regular SS slide model with N/S for $760 new at the show.
I hope to get to the range tomorrow and check it out. I have some large silhouette targets I got from a previous show to try out as well.
I priced ammo components at the show and it looked like I could assembe a .380 round for around 27 cents each or so (IF I still had the reloading gear) with once-fired tumbled brass (11 cents each) with the fired primers (primers 4-5 cents each) still in them. Powder~ $25 a lb or7000 grains and bullets 10 cents or more each. I bought a box of Blazer 9mm for $13 out the door, so it's not saving much to reload when you can't pick up the brass.
I asked a dealer about his last box of Remington Golden Sabers so I would have some bullets with the gun on the way home and shopping. It was $27 for a box and he said that he could knock a few bucks off. I said that I had a bunch at home that I paid about $11 a box just a few years ago. He said that he wished he had gotten a bunch at that price, too.
.380 ammo was kind of plentiful, but still way over priced. The cheapest was some of that Hungarian FMJ ammo at $27 a box of 50, or over $10 more a box than I paid Sportsmans Guide when they first got it in. I've got a bunch of Federal 9mm 135 grain HS with the $10 sticker still on them. I remember thinking that was high! I was replacing that with Rem GS 124gr and still have both, so I'm glad that I didn't sell the Federal. I'm sure they are $40 a box or so now. I would really hate to be trying to build up any kind of ammo supply from scratch now. I've got enough of everything (.22, .380, 9mm, & .45) to tide me over until the supply gets caught up with the demand, if it does! If you keep your eyes open and are ready to pounce, you can still find some decent deals online. Not everyone tripled or more their prices.:)
Wynn

jocko
01-10-2010, 11:44 AM
wal-mart is still for me the best buy on 9mm wwb. 100 pak alittle over $21. With my wifes discont there I am getting it for just a tad under 20 bucks. They are ripping us everywhere for 380 ammo. Wal mart never has any in my area and gader mt, gives you a free jar of vasoline with every purchase. YOU NEED IT TO..
IMO terrible what these ammo makers and sellers are doing. My two 380's just sit and gather dust anymore..

vmo
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
We have a reloading supplier that attends our gunshows that sells Golden Saber bullets in either 185 or 230. I think they run about 115 for 500. Load them sort of stout and you should have a great practice round for about 14 bucks a box/50.

vmo

ripley16
01-11-2010, 05:56 AM
When you have the witness marks lined up, are you able to see the rearward semi-circle piece on the slide stop pin, inside of the slide, behind the simi-circlular slide cutout? Those are the two parts that have to be lined up exactly. My CW was off just a smidge, and I had to eyeball the fit in order to do a takedown.

In-Yo-Grill
01-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Man...that was a good deal. Especially with the night sights. Keep working with the slide to get it apart.

Is it possible the previous owner made the same mistake this guy did?
http://kahrtalk.com/mk-series-pistols/717-i-messed-up-kahr-slide-stuck-pin-inserted-incorrectly.html

ripley16
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Just so we're on the same page... here's a pic of how the pin and slide should look when lined up.
Note; the half circle pin part just protruded enough to catch and hold the slide and the witness marks lined up.
You are not lining up the slide stop cutout with the pin, as is done in the K series.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/Kahrtakedownpin001.jpg

wyntrout
01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Just so we're on the same page... here's a pic of how the pin and slide should look when lined up.
Note; the half circle pin part just protruded enough to catch and hold the slide and the witness marks lined up.
You are not lining up the slide stop cutout with the pin, as is done in the K series.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Kahr/Kahrtakedownpin001.jpg

Thanks, ripley16. I lined up the witness marks and the pin pops out with finger pressure. So THAT'S what those marks are for! :o Another case of RT*M!:rolleyes:
The previous owner liked axle grease or something on the slide rails! I'm going to clean this puppy with brake cleaner like Jocko advises and maybe put a little Gunslick anhydrous graphitic lube on the rails. Thanks very much for the help. I knew that I MIGHT learn something here, but I wasn't expecting a DS not RT*M-type action on my part.
I hope that I didn't hurt anything whacking that pin while the slide was out of alignment!
Wynn :o

ripley16
01-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Glad it worked out.

wyntrout
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
My UpluLas and last ammo buy (third deal) at Cabelas (last day for $20 off $100 purchase) came this afternoon and I think that I have loaded up enough stuff to go to the range. I can't wait to see how badly I shoot my own weapons after not doing so great with brothers-in-law's guns over Christmas holiday. AND, I won't have any excuses about 20 degree, windy weather while standing in a couple of feet of snow at about 7,150 ft elevation in SW Colorado!:D
Wynn

jocko
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
wyntrout. get yourself a goood quality gun grease. I can give you a grerat company who makes alot of lubs for the military .

Mil-comm.com

look at their tw25 grease in the syringe applicator even. You can lay aline of thier fine grese that will not run or dry out right in the middle of your slide rails and no mess involved. this stuff is super. Never been a fan of grapfite lube. It might be Ok, just my 2 cents.

wyntrout
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks, jocko. I used a toothbrush to clean the powder residue, etc., and then added a bit of the Gunslick to the toothbrush and hit all the working parts and rails. Then I wiped any off the outer surfaces. I think that I've been to the site you're talking about. It may be the one that would give military free lubricant. Nope. It was this one: MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil (http://www.militec-1.com/) .
Wynn, another happy PM9 owner:D
http://www.google.com/search?q=mil-tech+lube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a lots of links here.

ripley16
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I give all my guns a Militec 1 treatment under a blow dryer before shooting them the first time. Even used guns get cleaned and treated. Great stuff. I also put a daub of TW25b on the rails. Between the two lubes, my guns run slick a whistle. Both exceptional products IMO.

jeep45238
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Sorry folks, but THIS is why you shouldn't use marks that are SUPPOSED to witness up to something further down the line.

Just look at the slide where the slide stop comes out, there's a 1/2 moon cut on the slide. Apply pressure on the back of the slide stop pin and move the slide back, you'll notice that the moon exposes the slide stop, and out she goes.

Ideally when the marks are lined up the cut out is over the slide stop, and she pops out - but really, why look for those, when it's easy as heck to observe the actual removal slot.

Also, don't sorry so much about the lube you use. I've sucessfully used synthetic motor oil, Shooter's Choice grease, Hoppe's gun oil, CLP, axle grease, candle wax, graphite powder, teflon sprays, Rem Oil, motor oil with 4,500 miles straight off my dip stick, ATF, and mineral spirits on my guns.

That's rimfire pistols, 10/22's, bolt actions, locked breech semi auto pistols, pump action shotguns, semi auto shotguns, and even direct gas operated AR15's on locking lugs/bolts/carriers, etc.. Rapid fire, sustained slow fire over the course of 10 hours, training courses, etc. - NO malfunctions.

A gun MUST be lubricated. It is no different from a machine like your car, lawn mower, or weed wacker. Keep it lubricated with SOMETHING that meets the lub specs, and you'll be golden. Nice thing about guns, is the spec is incredibly wide.

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Ahhh, yes... I remember the time I forgot my chapstick on a long flight... and I'm one of those people who at least has to have it around, or I feel like my lips are drying up and cracking. Luckily I had a chicken lunch and was able to use some chicken fat... at least it was fresh.:o What ever's available! True "war story"!
Wynn