PDA

View Full Version : Winchester PDX1 Defender 357 Mag Ammo

Barth
10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Just got a box of this at the Gun Show for my new to me S&W 640-1 357.
It looks like a hybrid mix between Ranger T-Series and Ranger Bonded?
Anybody know the lowdown on this stuff?
Where's that Winchester ammo distributor guy - LOL!
http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/wincpics357mpdb.jpg

hotpig
10-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Winchester can not say it is any way related to the T-Series ammo or they would restrict the sale to LE. Some times the expanded bullet will have the talons real pronounced other times it does not. That is the trade off for having a bonded bullet.

This design beat out the low bid Golds Dot for two of the largest Contracts in history for the DOJ in 9mm and 40 cal.

Rainman48314
10-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Just got a box of this at the Gun Show for my new to me S&W 640-1 357.
It looks like a hybrid mix between Ranger T-Series and Ranger Bonded?
Anybody know the lowdown on this stuff?
Where's that Winchester ammo distributor guy - LOL!
http://www.sportsmanshuntingwarehouse.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/wincpics357mpdb.jpgI have only shot paper with it but my Sig 1911 RCS has no issue with the little bit I did shoot. I tend to be a Gold Dot guy in everything under .45

TheTman
10-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I use it in my CW45 because it cycles reliably and Walmart stocks it for a not too hefty price for the 20 round box. I've heard all kinds of stories about it, but not going to repeat them as I don't know if there is any truth behind it. I did see a youtube on it where it failed to mushroom from a 3.5" barrel 1911 after passing through 3 or 4 layers of denim.

Thunder71
10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I use it for the same reasons as above, it cycles very well in my PM9 and from what I've read it comes pretty recommended as well.

hotpig
10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I did see a youtube on it where it failed to mushroom from a 3.5" barrel 1911 after passing through 3 or 4 layers of denim.That is a risk you take with any brand or caliber of hp ammo.

Barth
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Winchester can not say it is any way related to the T-Series ammo or they would restrict the sale to LE. Some times the expanded bullet will have the talons real pronounced other times it does not. That is the trade off for having a bonded bullet.

This design beat out the low bid Golds Dot for two of the largest Contracts in history for the DOJ in 9mm and 40 cal.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like the round should work out just fine for me.