PDA

View Full Version : Gouge/chip on slide -due to slide stop?

jeep
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Quick question...
I have now seen 2 Kahr's Pm9's within 50 rounds that seem to develop a slight gouge/chip on the slide (on the side where Kahr is stamped). It is towards the bottom where the slide meets the polymer (in front of the slide stop). Supposedly this is caused from the slide stop itself. Its odd to me as I see some Kahrs with it and some without.

I just don't understand how a slide gets chips/gouges from simply firing it within 50 rounds. If it's prone to this "gouge/chip" in a particular area which it seems, why does Kahr not just notch it in the factory?

I have just not seen any other brands have this issue...

Comments or clarification?

Thanks,
Jeep

mr surveyor
10-17-2011, 08:11 PM
you might post a picture... that would help tremendously!

Ikeo74
10-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Quick question...
I have now seen 2 Kahr's Pm9's within 50 rounds that seem to develop a slight gouge/chip on the slide (on the side where Kahr is stamped). It is towards the bottom where the slide meets the polymer (in front of the slide stop). Supposedly this is caused from the slide stop itself. Its odd to me as I see some Kahrs with it and some without.

I just don't understand how a slide gets chips/gouges from simply firing it within 50 rounds. If it's prone to this "gouge/chip" in a particular area which it seems, why does Kahr not just notch it in the factory?

I have just not seen any other brands have this issue...

Comments or clarification?

Thanks,
Jeep

Jeep, If you are talking about the "gouge"at the bottom of the slide, right in front of the slide release. it is the slide lock notch milled into the slide at the factory to lock the slide open on an empty mag. What did you think it was? :rolleyes: How much do you know about guns?

gb6491
10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
jeep,
Are you referring to this:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2w5j5ld.jpg
If so, it's an alignment mark meant to aid in disassembly of the pistol.
Regards,
Greg

jeep
10-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Jeep, If you are talking about the "gouge"at the bottom of the slide, right in front of the slide release. it is the slide lock notch milled into the slide at the factory to lock the slide open on an empty mag. What did you think it was? :rolleyes: How much do you know about guns?

Thanks for the sarcasm Ikeo. It helped a whole lot! One day I am hoping to learn how to put a magazine in. :)

So anyway Ikeo & GB - I am not speaking of an alignment notch at all. That is from the factory.

I am speaking of a notch/chip/gouge that appears AFTER firing the gun for the first time. It is right in front of the slide stop bottom. I was told that is caused from the slide stop hitting. This makes no sense to me.

Looks very similar to this Mr. Surveyor:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1800/kahrexample.jpg

gb6491
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I see what you are talking about now (the photo really helps): none of my Kahr pistols have any type of mark in that area after thousands of rounds through them (the CW45 in the photo I posted earlier being one of those). I don't own a PM9, so I can't address them specifically (other than to say I've not seen this posted in photos anyplace else).
As you write that you were told that the slide stop caused this, did you see any corresponding marks on the slide stop?
Regards,
Greg

les strat
10-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Looks like damamge that might have occured putting the slide stop back in maybe??? Seems thats where the slide would be be during reinsertion after breakdown.

MLESa7990
10-18-2011, 07:38 AM
few hundred rounds through my PM9 so far and no damage like that on mine...or at all for that matter

Thunder71
10-18-2011, 07:41 AM
I know I wouldn't be happy with that on a new gun.

Popeye
10-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Looks like damamge that might have occured putting the slide stop back in maybe??? Seems thats where the slide would be be during reinsertion after breakdown.

I think I have to agree as mine has a very faint mark in the same place and when the alignment marks are lined up that mark is exactly in line with the pin on the slide stop lever. When the pistol was new and you took it down to clean it did you have to get a little rough with it to get the pin back in? Just a thought

mr surveyor
10-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Jeep

Thanks for the picture. As you found out, it's pretty hard to describe some things and with so many variables with firearme and owners, it's easy to misunderstand. Your description of the location of the issue was perfect, as shown by the picture. The assumption that you may have been referring to the "frame witness mark" (the chip in the imbedded metal rail towards the right front of the poly drip frame) was pretty understandable as well. That seems to be the most common (non) issue we see.

As for the actual problem you are experiencing, I have seen pics of the same peeninig. Not sure if they were here on KahrTalk or another site, but identical condition. I seem to remember that the slide was delcared out of spec and promptly replaced by Kahr. My memory has been known to be wrong though.

I would send the pic to Kahr and let them give you all the information. They should make it right.

surv

cswatson98
10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I have the same mark on mine and it's in the same place. I've put approximately 300+ rounds through my gun. To my knowledge, it was there from the beginning. I'm curious to see what Kahr says to you on this. Can you keep us posted.

And to others out there, should I be worried about this? This this be something that Kahr replaces??

WMD
10-19-2011, 06:38 AM
I tend to agree with CWatson98. The slide stop probably did not cause that mark. It may have been there from the beginning and you may not have noticed it until now. (similar things have happened to me!) I have a PM9 with many rounds through it an no mark as described. My friend's PM9 is also "unmmarked". If it is not causing malfunctions, I would not worry about it. If the cosmetic aspect bothers you, call Kahr. I am sure they can take care of it. Other then the mark, how is it running?

cswatson98
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I tend to agree with CWatson98. The slide stop probably did not cause that mark. It may have been there from the beginning and you may not have noticed it until now. (similar things have happened to me!) I have a PM9 with many rounds through it an no mark as described. My friend's PM9 is also "unmmarked". If it is not causing malfunctions, I would not worry about it. If the cosmetic aspect bothers you, call Kahr. I am sure they can take care of it. Other then the mark, how is it running?

I was shooting with a friend the other night and they also have a CM9. The mark was on their gun as well. I'm a new gun owner to begin with, so I'm not sure that I can tell that it's causing any issues.

jocko
10-20-2011, 11:30 AM
if the mark is there, it willnot get worse, and I don't expect kahr to do anything about it, as it seems it happens to others as well. I do think tucson is right. I think as the slide is working itself backward and the barrel lug is caming downward, that the slide lock pin is moving a tad upward. I can attest that my PM9 withg 32K through it shows no sign of that little mark..