PDA

View Full Version : If You're a Lefty, Raise Your Hand

JFootin
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I am left handed and I've been noticing something as I spend time on this forum: there are a lot of lefties among the regulars posting here. Lefties make up about 10% of the general population, but I am finding a way higher percentage of us in the 'family' of regular, every day denizens of the friendliest gun forum in existence.

Now, I don't want this to devolve into a righty .vs. lefty debate, or any such thing. Don't want it to be a ***** (female dog) fest about discrimination against us by gun and holster manufacturers. Actually, things have been getting better on that front as more gun makers are creating guns with ambidextrous controls (although I wish we could see some with the option of having the ejection port on the left :rolleyes:), and more and more holster makers are offering the shooting hand option, though there are many retailers who still behave like we don't exist.

A little theorizing about why such a large percentage of avid gun lovers and Kahr owners are lefties is in order. My theory is that the right brain dominance has something to do with it, bringing out an interest in fine engineering.

So, I am raising my hand and declaring that I am a total lefty. Left handed, left eye dominant, part my hair on the left, left writing, left kicking, left throwing and left shooting. And I am asking that every one of you who is a lefty raise your hand (post a reply) and let us know about yourself, post pics and videos of your left hand holsters and gear, and shooting your guns left handed.

You know, we could even start a Left Handed Shooters Social Club (I think there is a way to do social clubs on this forum). :cool:

So, let's hear from every one of you!

O'Dell
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I always knew that there was something slightly out of kilter about you. :D

gb6491
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm mixed up. I throw and bowl left handed, but play racquet sports right handed. I write and shoot right handed. I'm right eye dominant.
I just took this test:
http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com/vancouver/left_right/rb_test.htm
My results were: 53% left brain/47% right brain dominance
Regards,
Greg

Hognutz
10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I can't even pick my nose with my left hand. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Thunder71
10-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I've noticed quite a few here seem to be left handed, was actually going to start a poll about it to see if I was correct haha.

I can shoot either comfortably, but chose left because it was more natural.

jocko
10-20-2011, 01:27 PM
studies have stated that lefties are the smartest people in the world. They also stated thaqt lefties are hung more than righties..

Thunder71
10-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I participated in that study, so I know it's true. :blushing:

getsome
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
That can't be true, Obama is left handed and left minded in more ways than one...Sorry I had to do that....:p....I can't do anything left handed and now have nerve damage in my left arm so it's even more usless...It seems to me that left handed people are much more ambidextrous than righties for some reason probably having to adapt to a right handed world I guess...

There is a lady in our church thats left handed and she can write her name or anything else forward and backwards with both hands at the same time and it looks identical...Beats all I ever saw....

Bawanna
10-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Well I guess me and Greg are brothers with different mothers. I do everything right, right eye dominant, shoot, write, eat, right handed.
But when I bat, I bat left. If I was to play golf (heaven forbid) I'd want left handed wackers or Tee ers or whatever ever you call the sticks in the bag that you bend around trees and throw when you mess up your stick off, drive? Putt? You know, whack the ball off the little stick in the grass and leave a big ugly hole.
I throw right and catch left. I try to shoot left once in a great while but I'm not very good at it. Good enough to qualify but the quals pretty easy.

Bill K
10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I can't even pick my nose with my left hand. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Only 17 posts and you fit in perfectly with this forum. :)

jocko
10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I participated in that study, so I know it's true. :blushing:

I regonized u. thanks for backing me up, people would have thought I was foolin them:behindsofa:

Thunder71
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
By the way, where's my $5?

gb6491
10-20-2011, 02:18 PM
... They also stated thaqt lefties are hung more than righties..
I guess that proves that the criminal justice system does work! :D
Regards,
Greg

jocko
10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
yup thats what I was referring to. ur the only one who figured that out. everyone else thought I had my mind in thge gutter and those that know me, would not have thought that!!!!

Thunder71
10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Those who 'know you', know which statement is BS. :)

That's what I love most about this forum, threads never get off track.

rjt123
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm one of the "mixed up" crowd. It's because I'm left-eye dominant, but right-handed. So doing things where I have to aim (like shooting pool), I do those left_handed. Because I'm really a "righty", I shoot handguns with right hand as strong side.

jocko
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
5 bucks is in the mail. I bet without looking back u can't even tell me what this thread was originally about. I sur ein hell can't.

JFootin
10-20-2011, 02:33 PM
OK, we're having fun! Jocko, you haven't stated your persuasion. You're a lefty, aren't you?

jocko
10-20-2011, 02:37 PM
there is no other way!!! but I tend to lean far far right!!

JFootin
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
there is no other way!!! but I tend to lean far far right!!

Yeah, me too!!

Popeye
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm a lefty that lives in right handed world. Do not mine at all if anything it has made me ambidextrous. I can shoot both hands and swing a hammer and still drive a nail. I can probably use a power saw better with my right hand than I can with my left because I used them quite often being that I'm a retired carpenter. I can bat a ball with either hand. For most things I'm better with my left hand but I'm pretty good with my right hand to. I'm also a gemini but doubt that has much to do with it.:madgrin:

jocko
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I wish I could say that. all my right arm/hand does is balance out my body. I definitely cannot shoot right handed. I look girlie when I try to do it..

melissa5
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I regonized u. thanks for backing me up, people would have thought I was foolin them:behindsofa:

I hope you guys know that study was run by a guy who just wanted to see your junk. :p

Edited to say that the just about the only thing I CAN do left handed is pick my nose. :eek:

gb6491
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I wish I could say that. all my right arm/hand does is balance out my body. I definitely cannot shoot right handed. I look girlie when I try to do it..
What's wrong with that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTjmuaQlqRc
Regards,
Greg

DubDubU
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."

~ W.C. Fields

Thunder71
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Wait, I just realized I raised my right hand... crap. Can I still be in the club?

JFootin
10-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Wait, I just realized I raised my right hand... crap. Can I still be in the club?

Yes, but you need to remember that the club salute is a raised LEFT hand! :D:D:D

jmurch
10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I once worked in a IT dept with 7 employees, all of us were left handed.

JFootin
10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
I once worked in a IT dept with 7 employees, all of us were left handed.

See, there's that right brain dominance. I am now disabled, but formerly an I.T. professional, as well. :typing:

Husky44
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Uber lefty... left handed, left eye dominant, throw, eat, pick, scratch, and wipe left-handed. Refuse to divulge any other bodily functions.:blushing:

Wierd thing is, I actually play hockey "right-handed", but I think that's because I learned as an adult, and because my strong hand ends up on top of the stick, which gives the most control.

I can shoot passably right-handed, which is something I work on; got a lot of practice doing that early in my shooting experiences, because they frown on you shooting an M60 left-handed.:eek:

Ubaldo99
10-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Im raising my right hand to proudly declare that I am left-handed. As a survival strategy in a right-hand-dominated world, however, I have been forced to do a lot of things right-handed...to the extent that I am basically ambidextrous. I do shoot left-handed, but my right eye is dominant. Its a miracle I can even hit the broad side of a barn!

wyntrout
10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Dang! I thought this was about politics! It's just about "wrong-handed" people.:D

My left hand is almost useless. I hope that my right one never quits on me! I'm right-eye-dominant and trying to shoot left handed using my right eye is wacky... the weird recoil twist that results. I tried using my left eye... have to close the right eye... gives better in-line recoil, but SO UN-NATURAL! For me, anyhow... too much attention required... all the more reason for practice I guess, but NO FUN!

Wynn:)

Popeye
10-21-2011, 06:01 AM
What's wrong with that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTjmuaQlqRc
Regards,
Greg

I know some women that can outshoot quite a few guys with the same amount of shooting experience or less. That's why I do not teach my wife to shoot she'll more than likely end up making me look bad and I'll never hear the end of it.:o I once new a girl welder who wasn't much to look at, but a nice girl. She could weld better than any man welder I know. The real amazing part is she could weld either hand and trust me that is not easy to do. She was the only person I ever met that could weld with either hand. I was an average welder at best with my left hand but if I tried welding with my right hand I could really screw some SH8 up .

jocko
10-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Im raising my right hand to proudly declare that I am left-handed. As a survival strategy in a right-hand-dominated world, however, I have been forced to do a lot of things right-handed...to the extent that I am basically ambidextrous. I do shoot left-handed, but my right eye is dominant. Its a miracle I can even hit the broad side of a barn!

learned with great success that I can hit any side of a barn by being inside the barn.:D

MW surveyor
10-21-2011, 07:33 AM
learned with great success that I can hit any side of a barn by being inside the barn.:D

But only if the doors are closed!:behindsofa:

MikeyKahr
10-21-2011, 06:47 PM
What happens to Muslims who are left-handed? On second thought let's not go there...

Sent using Tapatalk

wyntrout
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
They are pariahs... outcasts. When one is punished for theft or other "misdemeanors" under Sharia law, the right hand is cut off. The left hand is used for one purpose and it ain't eating at the communal table!:eek: Of course, when I studied Arabic language and culture back in the mid 60's, I don't think toilet paper had been introduced to ANY of the Arab countries... that was what one used the left hand for... exclusively!:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

jmurch
10-21-2011, 09:17 PM
i was in Seoul a couple months ago and it is still considered very incorrect to use your chopsticks with your left hand. i can BARELY use chopsticks with my left hand no way with my right so i had every restaurant i was in go dig up a fork.

same left hand thing in Santiago. it is socially incorrect to pour wine with your left hand.

O'Dell
10-22-2011, 10:28 AM
For the first time in my life, I sorta wish I was left handed. I had an appointment with the orthopedist yesterday, and he's 90% sure I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I have a MRI scheduled for 1:30 this afternoon and that will make the final determination. The next step is therapy which is already approved. I hope that will handle it because this is one surgery I really don't want.

JFootin
10-22-2011, 10:51 AM
For the first time in my life, I sorta wish I was left handed. I had an appointment with the orthopedist yesterday, and he's 90% sure I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I have a MRI scheduled for 1:30 this afternoon and that will make the final determination. The next step is therapy which is already approved. I hope that will handle it because this is one surgery I really don't want.

Wishing you 100% success with the surgery, O'Dell.

O'Dell
10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Wishing you 100% success with the surgery, O'Dell.

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Vickie's brother-in-law had shoulder surgery for the same thing about 4 months ago and he had lots of problems. I've got the disc from the MRI to take to the orthopedist Monday, and he'll have to make the determination. The tech said she got lots of pretty pictures. I tried to play them on the CD/MP3 player in my car on the way home, but that didn't work. ;) Thanks for the good thoughts.

jocko
10-22-2011, 02:43 PM

I hadmy motorcycle wrecxk a year ago, my right shoulder was damaaged and an MRI did not show a torn rotor cup but I had what the doc called alot of tissue spreading. He told me at my age, "live with" take anti inflmatory stuff becuase surgery is no guarantee and I would have bee4n dsabled for months during the healing process. I live with it. I take anti "sh-t" for the pain when I have it. I areally feel it when having been on the bike for 3+ hours. I live with it..

hopefully u will luck out:cheer2:

jocko
10-22-2011, 02:57 PM
What happens to Muslims who are left-handed? On second thought let's not go there...

Sent using Tapatalk

if it the muslims or India folks ( I think it is India ) your left hand is considered a dirty hand for u never toch food with your leftr hand as that is the hand that India people wipew their ass with and therefore it is considered a dirty hand. Truth, look it up. Nowmy question wold be to them, did u ever hear of toilet paper?????:cheer2:

Hands and Feet

Hand by Meanest Indian
There’s a whole hierarchy of the body parts in Hinduism. The head is superior to the rest of the body, and the feet are lowest on the rung.

Feet are considered dirty in India, so take off your shoes before you step into someone’s house. Don’t step on anything important and if you do, immediately express your apologies.

It’s a sign of deference to bend down and touch a respected elder’s feet in India.

The left hand is customarily used for cleaning oneself after defecation, so Indian people never eat with their left hands. Also remember never to pass on anything – money or a gift – to an Indian with your left hand. The most conservative Indians might take offense

hell and here I thought you guys from the hills of KY and TN were strange:eek:

JFootin
10-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Vickie's brother-in-law had shoulder surgery for the same thing about 4 months ago and he had lots of problems. I've got the disc from the MRI to take to the orthopedist Monday, and he'll have to make the determination. The tech said she got lots of pretty pictures. I tried to play them on the CD/MP3 player in my car on the way home, but that didn't work. ;) Thanks for the good thoughts.

Put the CD in your computer at home. It will handle it, I'm pretty sure.

A few years ago, I had bad pains in both shoulders. Kept me awake sometimes. I thought it was rotator cuff damage from some known previous injuries to both shoulders, but I never went to a doctor to check it out. Then I started taking fish oil pills for my heart and cardiovascular problems and in a few months I had no pain in my shoulders at all and I still don't. I can move them in all directions, and the only thing I feel is muscular stiffness because I am so sedentary and I'm getting old. I think the pain may have been caused by a circulatory problem that the fish oil alleviated. It doesn't seem to help my arthritic fingers or my bad knee. So it's not that it helps joints that much. But it sure did the trick for my shoulders. Took a few months, but now I have reminders on my computer so I never skip a dose.

jocko
10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I have been taking fish oil pills for the past 2 years. can't see much difference but I can now swim 5 full laps with ease!!!

JFootin
10-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I have been taking fish oil pills for the past 2 years. can't see much difference but I can now swim 5 full laps with ease!!!

What happened before? Did you sink like a stone? LOL! Fish head coming for sure! :19:

O'Dell
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I hadmy motorcycle wrecxk a year ago, my right shoulder was damaaged and an MRI did not show a torn rotor cup but I had what the doc called alot of tissue spreading. He told me at my age, "live with" take anti inflmatory stuff becuase surgery is no guarantee and I would have bee4n dsabled for months during the healing process. I live with it. I take anti "sh-t" for the pain when I have it. I areally feel it when having been on the bike for 3+ hours. I live with it..

hopefully u will luck out:cheer2:

Mine hurts anytime I move my arm, even if just walking. I can't even pick up a cup of coffee without quite a bit of pain. It has affected my shooting to a great extent. Right now I wouldn't think of climbing on my CBR because a lot of weight rest on your arms when riding. I can't even steer a car easily.

The orthopedist measured the strength in both arms. My right should be slightly stronger, but it was down to about 1/2 the left and the range of motion was reduced. I don't think this is something that I can just live with - I need to do something. Hopefully, the therapy will work and I won't have to consider surgery.

jocko
10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
at first my arm was totally useless but after about a couple ofmonths it started to work itself out of some of it. It still bothered me alot so I had the MRI and tissue spreading is what the doctor stated and then just shrugged his shoulders. Had I had a torn rotator cup. I have no doubt he would have recommended surgery. I might have missed it but how did u do this. It has been a full year and my shoulder is not right but I would say it is 80% right and knives bother the hell out of me at my age. I'm gonna live with it but at first off I thought I was surgery bound. I don't have the full return of strength either, but I am OK and at my age WTF...Now if I could not drink coffee without pain that for this ol timer, we would have to do something, but being it was my right shoulder and I am so so lefty I am again OK...goodluck O'dell, it's not pleasant. It does souond likke ur problems are worse than mine was to..so we are probalby talking about apples and oranges.

Cortazone shots were suggested by him but I opted out of that sh-t..

kb2wji
10-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm a lefty, but shoot righty. I forced myself to shoot righty when I became a LEO. Sigs are just a little easier to manipulate with your right hand. It really sucked for a few weeks, but I got used to it. I'm now equally accurate with my left or right hand :) I carry right side all the time now.

MikeyKahr
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Must be nice to be equally good with both, wouldn't have been the case unless you made the switch.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bkahrfull
10-24-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm left handed as well, but right eye dominant. That makes for real fun sometimes.

JFootin
10-24-2011, 09:13 AM
OK, that's 10 admitted left handers so far. I know there are a lot more of you who haven't posted yet. Come on! Raise your left hand and declare it proudly!

TominCA
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Write lefty, Left eye dominant, hammer and throw right handed. shoot lefty but trying to train for right hand / right eye just for fun -It's almost like starting over again!

jocko
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
OK, that's 10 admitted left handers so far. I know there are a lot more of you who haven't posted yet. Come on! Raise your left hand and declare it proudly!

statistics ksay one out of 10 are lefty's and the other 9 are just idiots:banplease:

JFootin
10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
LOL! Jocko, you're too funny! http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee486/John_England/Misc/RIFL.gif

jocko
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
indeed u can see the humor forur a lefty but probalby some as saying what an as-hole!!:D.

Bawanna
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
That thought briefly crossed my mind but I'm normble. I try not to flaunt it.

My wife is left handed and Swedish (the handicap parking sticker is for her) so I guess it's normble for them to eat off the back of the fork and use a spoon upside down. Strange bunch those Swedes. Cute but strange.

Speaking of normble I better check on Dear Dietrich, hasn't corresponded for awhile, probably due for a dose of my stupidity, irrationality, and ignorance.

We all know why Illinois got the Swedes and Missouri got the mule.

Missouri got first choice.

gb6491
10-24-2011, 12:23 PM
indeed u can see the humor forur a lefty but probalby some as saying what an as-hole!!:D.
Nine out of ten?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-devil07.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool05.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Bawanna
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Nine out of ten?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-devil07.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool05.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Ditto that for me.

jocko
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
coming from two people whom I trust in their judgment, my feelings are now hurt!!! I'm speechless!!! Well kinda:behindsofa:

and I know it is just ur opinion to and as u know opinions are like as-holes. We all have one.:D

Bawanna
10-24-2011, 02:43 PM
I sure didn't mean to hurt your feelings Jocko, I know just how sensitive you are. I of course can't speak for GB though. If you want his address so you can send a horse head or a fish (your call) I'll see if I can find it. Just to be safe and protect the tradition ya know?
Living where he does I suspect he'd prefer fresh salmon but that's just a wild guess. Horse heads are alot like mules and burro's and I'm sure they got plenty of those.

ToneSurfer
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Lefty here.

gb6491
10-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I sure didn't mean to hurt your feelings Jocko, I know just how sensitive you are. I of course can't speak for GB though. If you want his address so you can send a horse head or a fish (your call) I'll see if I can find it. Just to be safe and protect the tradition ya know?
Living where he does I suspect he'd prefer fresh salmon but that's just a wild guess. Horse heads are alot like mules and burro's and I'm sure they got plenty of those.
All in good fun http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky111.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Bawanna
10-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Sure, sure, anything to avoid a horse head in the mail.

I'm gonna write that phrase down, might use it in the future to get out of one myself.

gb6491
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Sure, sure, anything to avoid a horse head in the mail.

I'm gonna write that phrase down, might use it in the future to get out of one myself.
http://i52.tinypic.com/71jvo7.jpg

bamaman
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Lefty (ambidextrious) here also. Shoot, eat, and write left handed. Throw a ball, and play golf right handed. Kick a ball left footed. Can't manipulate an iron at all, and cutting with scissors sux to the ninth degree. Other than that I'm pretty normal. :confused:

noslolo
10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Lefty here. I shoot handguns with my left but shoot rifles right handed. I bat right handed, box right handed and throw left handed.

JFootin
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
noslolo, you're truly ambidextrous! What eye is dominant? Or can you use either?

muggsy
11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
What a bunch of cry babies. I had flibitus and had to have my right leg amputated. When I went into surgery the doctor erred and removed my left leg. Realizing his mistake they wheeled me back into surgery and my right leg was removed. I tried to sue for medical malpractice and the judge threw my case out of court. Told me I didn't have a leg to stand on.
Signed.
Shorty

Bawanna
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Now that's sad right there, I don't care who you are. Did I say sad, I meant funny.

I've only been on the table a couple times, unfortunately both major, broken back and brain surgery but both times I confirmed with the doctor who I was and what they were gonna do. I worry about going in for a broken leg and come out with a new heart, or a boob job.

Actually the boob job might not be a bad thing. Ok I'm weird. Speaking of weird I better send and email and bother the king of wierd Mr. Dietrich.