PDA

View Full Version : New CW9 owner........

woodman
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
with a range report.

Hello everyone,
I am new here and new to Kahr pistols. I just got my CW9 last week but because of the weather I was unable to get to the range until today so I loaded my range bag with a couple pistols some ammo and headed out. This pistol is small and light so I had it in my head that the recoil was going to be substancial but upon fireing it I was pleasantly surprised, the recoil is very mild. I brought 3 boxes of ammo, 2 boxes of Federal 115 gr. FMJ and 1 box of UMC 115 gr FMJ. Set my target at 15 yard and proceeded to shoot. The trigger will take a little getting use to, I had to really concentrate to get off a clean shot but when I did my part right the accuracy was very good and the point of impact with both brand of ammo was perfect, the sights needed no adjustments.
I ran 100 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind. Even when slingshotting the slide the rounds fed perfect and when loading 7+1 they fed perfect. I had to be careful of my thumb placement so it did'nt interfere with the slide lock on the last shot.
So I decide to see how the recoil compared to my Combat Commander. I figured they would be similar since the Kahr is so much lighter and smaller. Boy was I surprised the recoil of the Commander is much worse.
The CW9 was much more plesant to shoot and at 15 yard I was shooting smaller groups with it than I could with my Commander.
So far I am very impressed with this pistol, it functioned perfectly has good accuracy and is a pleasure to shoot. I will be back at the range soon for more shooting.

I am a happy new CW9 owner

mr surveyor
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
congratulations on the new CW9, and a great first trip. You are right about getting used to the long (but very smooth) DA trigger. I too take various handguns to the range, including a Kimber with 2.5+/-# trigger. Yep, there's a world of difference. One suggestion for when/if you decide to carry the CW9 (or any other long DAO trigger), finish your range trip with the DAO. There's something to be said about "muscle memory", and finishing your range trip with your carry gun just may make a difference in how you handle it under stress.

I now have 584 rounds through my fairly recently purchased CW9, and like you, all have been 100% flawless, including sling shotting the slide like with every other semi-auto I've handled or owned.

Great handguns.

surv

.45mac.40
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
:eek:
Woodman ......... !
With that Avatar .... how tha' heck am I gonna' keep my thoughts on your written posts ?????? OMG ...!
I have "Voted" Your avatar, THE BEST on this board !!!! :tongue:
:cheer2:

Mac

woodman
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
:eek:
Woodman ......... !
With that Avatar .... how tha' heck am I gonna' keep my thoughts on your written posts ?????? OMG ...!
I have "Voted" Your avatar, THE BEST on this board !!!! :tongue:
:cheer2:

Mac
She is very intrigueing.

jfrey
01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I finished the "break in" rounds through mine this weekend and it has been flawless so far. I am getting used to the long trigger and shot some fairly respectable groups. The trigger is a lot different than the 2 1/2# trigger on my Briley 1911 but the two guns serve entirely different purposes. I think I am really going to enjoy the CW9 and I am already thinking in terms of a CW45.
I was able to compare my CW9 to my sister-in-laws P9 and aside from a slightly shorter trigger pull, I like the CW version better. Mine is slightly heavier, not by much, but I like the additional weight and balance. I have no doubt it will become my primary carry in short order. It is definately the easiest pistol I have ever seen to conceal (for the size).

jocko
01-11-2010, 01:52 AM
She is very intrigueing.

PERVERTS:hippie:

woodman
01-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I now have 150 rounds through the new CW9 with no malfunctions at all. The trigger is getting even smoother and I am getting use to the long pull, even though I think it is too long.
So far I am well satisfied with this pistol and am glad I bought it.

Vinikahr
01-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I now have 150 rounds through the new CW9 with no malfunctions at all. The trigger is getting even smoother and I am getting use to the long pull, even though I think it is too long.
So far I am well satisfied with this pistol and am glad I bought it.

Congrats! Fire it away!:86:

woodman
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Went to the range yesterday and put another 50 rounds through my CW9 so I am at the 200 round break in. I am happy to report not 1 malfunction of any sort.
I also ran 40 rounds of 125 gr. truncated cone lead bullets through it also without any malfunctions. Fed and ejected as reliabably as the 115 gr. FMJ. The accuracy was not even close to what I have been getting with the FMJ. That will probably be the last of the lead bullets I use.
I will have to try some hollow points soon.

In-Yo-Grill
01-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Went to the range yesterday and put another 50 rounds through my CW9 so I am at the 200 round break in. I am happy to report not 1 malfunction of any sort.
I also ran 40 rounds of 125 gr. truncated cone lead bullets through it also without any malfunctions. Fed and ejected as reliabably as the 115 gr. FMJ. The accuracy was not even close to what I have been getting with the FMJ. That will probably be the last of the lead bullets I use.
I will have to try some hollow points soon.

I've always heard that if you shoot lead down your barrel you need to shoot a couple of copper or FMJ bullets down after wards to help "get the lead out". Anyone else ever heard of this?

recoilguy
01-25-2010, 09:35 AM
The CW9 is defineatly a fun and reliable weapon. At least mine has been. Good luck and enjoy the gun. I think you made a great choice and now that it is broken in and you are confident you can carry it. That is great. I have shot Critical defense and Winchester sureme Elites through mine just fine.

Good Luck

RCG

jwr
01-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I've always heard that if you shoot lead down your barrel you need to shoot a couple of copper or FMJ bullets down after wards to help "get the lead out". Anyone else ever heard of this?
I used to shoot paper targets as part of a club, and because of the ancient indoor range where we shot you were limited to lead wadcutters--no jacketed bullets allowed.

The good news was that since we all reloaded our own ammo it was dirt cheap to shoot (lead was cheap!), but man did it take a lot longer to clean a barrel!

Shooting jacketed ammo I can usually entirely clean and lube a gun in about 20 minutes. When I was shooting unjacketed lead I would often spend 30 minutes just on the barrel!

In-Yo-Grill
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I used to shoot paper targets as part of a club, and because of the ancient indoor range where we shot you were limited to lead wadcutters--no jacketed bullets allowed.

The good news was that since we all reloaded our own ammo it was dirt cheap to shoot (lead was cheap!), but man did it take a lot longer to clean a barrel!

Shooting jacketed ammo I can usually entirely clean and lube a gun in about 20 minutes. When I was shooting unjacketed lead I would often spend 30 minutes just on the barrel!

It's funny you say that because the guy who told me to shoot a couple of FMJ's down the barrel reloaded his own .45acp. He told me that lead bullets were cheaper and good for plinking.

woodman
04-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I now have 500 rounds through my CW9 with no malfunctions. I'm happy.:cheer2:

rogerthedodger
04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I also have 500+ rounds thru mine, no problems. Have been trying Hornady Critical Defense ammo,so far so good.

johnatw
04-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Woodman, great avitar, where in the great state of AR do you live.
We moved to Jonesboro three years ago and enjoying everything except the mosquitos.
John

GregD
04-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I have had the CW9 for several months with about 300 rounds thru it, no problems, shoots flawless, plus I like the trigger pull, great pistol.

woodman
04-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Woodman, great avitar, where in the great state of AR do you live.
We moved to Jonesboro three years ago and enjoying everything except the mosquitos.
John
Mountain Home, about 100 miles west of you. We have very few mosquito's here, too many hills, no place for water to sit.